PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else heard ??

1sicklx
12-14-2005, 01:00 AM
:hmm:

Has anyone else heard of excessive oil consumption with Holley Systemax heads due to poor valve geometry?

:think:

QWKSNKE
12-14-2005, 02:21 AM
I haven't.

I have always heard good reviews about the systemax system

Brutal87
12-14-2005, 07:08 AM
:hmm:

Has anyone else heard of excessive oil consumption with Holley Systemax heads due to poor valve geometry?

:think:

Ya know.. Some time ago I was reading something about it on another forum ( can't remember which one).. The end result was that it was all rumor, someone said that someone said..... (:bs: )

;)

coupe
12-14-2005, 07:18 AM
I think it may have been their old-style with the problems, but any head will have increased guide-wear with improper rocker-installs... Mine don't consume oil and they've probably got nearly 20k miles. But then again, I checked my geometry out. There was a thread with pics somewhere :shrug: .

1sicklx
12-14-2005, 09:20 AM
I think it may have been their old-style with the problems, but any head will have increased guide-wear with improper rocker-installs... Mine don't consume oil and they've probably got nearly 20k miles. But then again, I checked my geometry out. There was a thread with pics somewhere :shrug: .

Could be that it was the Systemax I heads ... :hmm:

Dale McPeters
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Yep, but as coupe pointed out I think it was on the older
style heads. It was something to do with valve locations/angles
and valve guides wearing out prematurely etc.. Kind of like some
of the very first TFS heads. I am not sure that they got all the
problems worked out as I am an AFR/TFS fan and do not keep up with
Holley products much anymore since I quit running a carb....:jester:

04 Mach1
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I have the system max kit heads and intake. The first install the intake would not seal off. Had to take it to a machine shop the angle was off had it fix no problem now(with that part)

1Quik85GT
12-15-2005, 10:43 PM
a buddy of mine had some Holley heads, and his car used alot of oil, and it would leave a trail of smoke whenever he drove it. The problem was the intake runners had a pin hole, and thats where his' consumption of oil was coming from, but this has been about 2-3yrs ago, he ditched the heads and got some AFR 185s, now he is running 10.teens..lol

LeeH
12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
It was the early design Systemax heads which had a slightly rotated valve arrangement similar to the TFS TW heads, Holley didnt put the design effort forth to correct the problem like TFS did. It was a geometry problem alright but you cant cure it with changing push rod length, It was a design problem. Some of those heads wouldnt go 500 miles without eating the guides up. Brian Tooley(TEA) worked for Holley when they designed them and was in on the Systemax project, I cant remeber who made the old heads but the new ones are made by Canfield for Holley. Soo if you want any specifics on the problem call and ask Brian.

93Cobra#2771
12-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Yep, Lee is correct. Early style heads, just like the early style TFS TW heads (pedestal mount) that had the same problem (I was one of the first customers to send TFS TW heads back due to oil consumption)...