PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Leak

Brutal87
12-20-2005, 10:53 PM
DAMN VALVE COVERS!!! :banghead:

Ok.. I've tightened down the valve covers 3 times & they still come loose & leak. I've never had to do this before but.. Can I use medium thread locker on them? I'm using the stock covers & bolts along with Felpro cork gaskets.

Thanks
Carl

joker
12-21-2005, 12:08 AM
DAMN VALVE COVERS!!! :banghead:

Ok.. I've tightened down the valve covers 3 times & they still come loose & leak. I've never had to do this before but.. Can I use medium thread locker on them? I'm using the stock covers & bolts along with Felpro cork gaskets.

Thanks
Carl

I would look for the problem instead of putting threadlocker on there. Are the covers bent or something? Something else is up if new gaskets wont seal.

Brutal87
12-21-2005, 12:14 AM
I would look for the problem instead of putting threadlocker on there. Are the covers bent or something? Something else is up if new gaskets wont seal.

The bolts keep backing out.. If I take it easy on the car.. NO leaks. As soon as I rock on it it starts to leak a little. By the time I get it home it's smokin like a pig. :(

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/HazePerformance/Mustang%20Teardown/100_1598.jpg

QWKSNKE
12-21-2005, 02:55 AM
get rid of the cork gaskets. Invest in the metal OEM gaskets that came on the car originally. You should be able to still get them at the dealer. They are reusable and well worth the money.

Brutal87
12-21-2005, 03:02 AM
get rid of the cork gaskets. Invest in the metal OEM gaskets that came on the car originally. You should be able to still get them at the dealer. They are reusable and well worth the money.

Are they the rubber with steel core type?

FMS-M-6584-A50

Italian LX
12-21-2005, 05:17 AM
Are they the rubber with steel core type?

FMS-M-6584-A50
Yep, that's them. I agree with Lee on using them. My motor still has the factory gaskets with over 290,000 miles on them. :nice:

Italian LX
12-21-2005, 05:21 AM
As far as the bolts backing out, I don't think the different gasket would make a difference. I would recommend going to Lowes and get some flanged bolts (1/4-20 I believe) that have the serrated locking surface. Either that, or just use a lock washer under the factory bolts and that should keep them from backing off.

Craig K.
12-21-2005, 05:59 AM
I have used a flat/lock washer combo on my race engine for years with no leaking problems.

Brutal87
12-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys.. I'm off to the hardware store.. :banana:

Brutal87
12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Where can I get some nice aftermarket valve covers? I don't want stockers (painted or chrome) & I don't want any of the Ford finned ones. (Powered By Ford, COBRA, Ford Motorsprots..ect..) Where can I get some nice sheet metal or alum. ones?

streetstang88
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
advance autoparts sells a fel pro version , blue silicone, w/ a steel core they are not that expensive and are in stock most of the time ....i have reused then several times w/ no problems they are a must have ....

...i dont understand why they still make cork gaskets

bbk makes some killer aluminum valve covers for efi motors ...but you will pay dearly ...

Brutal87
12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
advance autoparts sells a fel pro version , blue silicone, w/ a steel core they are not that expensive and are in stock most of the time ....i have reused then several times w/ no problems they are a must have ....

...i dont understand why they still make cork gaskets

bbk makes some killer aluminum valve covers for efi motors ...but you will pay dearly ...

I picked up those fel-pro's from advance autoparts last week. :)

As for the covers.. I'm gonna go with the BBK's or the Trick Flow.