PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger Qs

uvbnhad
12-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Is the SQ trim just the "quiet" version of the S-trim? Anyone have a S/SQ trim? What type of power are you putting down?

Since Vortech and Paxton are pretty much the same now, any reason to go with one over the other?

Novi 1000 or 2000?

QWKSNKE
12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Is the SQ trim just the "quiet" version of the S-trim? Anyone have a S/SQ trim? What type of power are you putting down?

:yup:

Since Vortech and Paxton are pretty much the same now, any reason to go with one over the other?

Novi 1000 or 2000?

Novi 2000 with an intercooler all the way :metal: Works nicely with low boost (10psi) and can handle up to 20+psi

Scothew
12-27-2005, 10:42 AM
The Rock and Tacbear are both putting down 380rwhp. One has the regular S and the other has the SQ. Tacbears SQ is defintely quieter than Rich's at idle.

Shankin
12-27-2005, 10:52 AM
We have done a few combos that make 500 on the stock 3.33 pulley set up. the strim and the sq is a super nice blower.

uvbnhad
12-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Not interested in the quiet systems at all. I'd rather have the whine. Money is a factor so I want to keep it below $4000.

Also has to be reliable (and streetable) enough that the wife has no problems driving it to the store, work, etc.

Shankin
12-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Not interested in the quiet systems at all. I'd rather have the whine. Money is a factor so I want to keep it below $4000.

Also has to be reliable (and streetable) enough that the wife has no problems driving it to the store, work, etc.

That is no problem. The car i ran 7.40flat at 100mph on 17s with is a everyday driver. I am with you on the noise! I love to hear a s trim car with the regular gears. I am a vortech dealer also if you are looking for a new one.

QWKSNKE
12-27-2005, 03:45 PM
you want noise? get a procharger. Vortech's are pretty quiet

Scothew
12-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I agree with Lee, prochargers are dayum loud.

The main thing I like about the vortech's is that they make great power, keep the car very streetable under normal driving loads and they are plumbed into the stock oil system. the prochargers being self contained make it to where you have to change the oil in the blower just as you would in the car.

banditmwp
12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
the prochargers being self contained make it to where you have to change the oil in the blower just as you would in the car.
That's just the "SC" series. Lee's is tapped into the oil pan on the car.

QWKSNKE
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
That's just the "SC" series. Lee's is tapped into the oil pan on the car.

yeah what he said

Scothew
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
do they make p1 non-SC??

uvbnhad
12-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I ordered a Procharger catalog today. Haven't they been historically higher priced? How are the Powerdynes?

All the blowers I've played around with have been Eaton/Saleen so centrifugal will be a definte change.

TheJeanyus
12-27-2005, 11:25 PM
do they make p1 non-SC??
The P's are for sissies. :jester: Go with a D-1. :metal:

DSkeet
12-28-2005, 05:45 AM
The P's are for sissies. :jester: Go with a D-1. :metal:

:stupid:

QWKSNKE
12-28-2005, 07:00 AM
do they make p1 non-SC??

yep. or at least they used to

Wall96cobra
12-28-2005, 08:45 AM
If you want a reasonable priced reliable blower that makes good power then just go with a s-trim. I have seen more people have problems with novi's and prochargers than s-trims. Not saying the others are junk but seems that the vortech blowers have been more reliable. But you have to ask yourself what your goal is, with the right set up you will be able to make over 500rwhp with this blower with a forged bottom end. But if you want to make over 600rwhp then go with a D1 or novi 2000.

uvbnhad
12-28-2005, 08:50 AM
If you want a reasonable priced reliable blower that makes good power then just go with a s-trim. I have seen more people have problems with novi's and prochargers than s-trims. Not saying the others are junk but seems that the vortech blowers have been more reliable. But you have to ask yourself what your goal is, with the right set up you will be able to make over 500rwhp with this blower with a forged bottom end. But if you want to make over 600rwhp then go with a D1 or novi 2000.
I'm not looking for anything that I would have to build the bottom end for. I want this to be something that I can let my wife drive (and feel comfortable about doing it). Also don't want to spend too terribly much.

I've been under the impression that the Paxton and Vortechs are practically the same thing since they have a partnership. I may be wrong.

QWKSNKE
12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Then I would go with the same setup that Rich and Whit have (s-trim@ 10 psi)

Wall96cobra
12-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm not looking for anything that I would have to build the bottom end for. I want this to be something that I can let my wife drive (and feel comfortable about doing it). Also don't want to spend too terribly much.

I've been under the impression that the Paxton and Vortechs are practically the same thing since they have a partnership. I may be wrong.

Well they are the same people but they are still different blowers, different parts etc... I can't remember the problems with the novi 2000's for sure (maybe leaky seals) but you can do a search on corral and find some. But for what you are looking for go with a s-trim.

tacbear
12-28-2005, 10:53 AM

With the set up that me and Rich have you can drive around normally (2500 rpm and under) and it is just like driving the car before the SC. That is one of the reasons I went with the centrifugal SC and not a roots or twin screw, I don't want my wife to be in the middle of wet Interstate on ramp and have 400 ft lb at 3000 rpm! :eek2:

TheJeanyus
12-28-2005, 12:01 PM
With the set up that me and Rich have you can drive around normally (2500 rpm and under) and it is just like driving the car before the SC. That is one of the reasons I went with the centrifugal SC and not a roots or twin screw, I don't want my wife to be in the middle of wet Interstate on ramp and have 400 ft lb at 3000 rpm! :eek2:
Doesn't your wife's truck have an Eaton. :poke:

My car is just like driving an N/A car under normal conditions. As long as you don't get on the throttle hard, you don't see any boost and it's just like a normal car.

tacbear
12-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Doesn't your wife's truck have an Eaton. :poke:

My car is just like driving an N/A car under normal conditions. As long as you don't get on the throttle hard, you don't see any boost and it's just like a normal car.

:metal: Eaton + 5000 Lbs=NO----->:snatch:

Crzypny
01-04-2006, 09:10 PM

:nono: It's sad when all you care about is the noise factor. :lookatme:

I really liked the Saleen supercharger I had on the '00. Didn't even know it was there under normal driving conditions. It only engaged at 2500 rpms at full throttle.

rtusnake
01-04-2006, 09:29 PM

You can buy a vortech tuner kit and come out cheaper than buying the complete kit. You could buy the t trim kit and I will trade you my s trim and some cash. Mine is low mileage.:metal: I really want a t trim lol

coupe
01-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Another vote for S-trim.

redhorse
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
:nono: It's sad when all you care about is the noise factor. :lookatme:

I really liked the Saleen supercharger I had on the '00. Didn't even know it was there under normal driving conditions. It only engaged at 2500 rpms at full throttle.

This coming from someone who said their car wasn't loud enough?

asilver2001gt
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I'll give my perspective since I've had a Vortech S-trim, Novi 2000, and KB 2.2:

S-trim--Great first supercharger, car drove like stock until you opened up the throttle. Controlling the amount of boost was simple b/c even if you stomped on it, the car would flash to about 4-5 lbs and slowly rise to full boost.

Novi 2000--Never got to see the full potential of this blower but again very streetable. If you want big power, this is the one to go with but if you don't ever think you will build a motor put a 2.8 pulley and spin the bastard to 20 lbs then go with the Vortech

KB--Couldn't tell you anything but simply amazing. I don't know how a 1.7 would behave at 8-10 lbs but this freakin 2.2 is crazy at 19 lbs :D. Now, I personally like have the instant torque but if your wife is going to drive the car, I would be concerned about if she was driving in the rain with 400 rwtq at 3000 rpms, could get sideways

QWKSNKE
01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll give my perspective since I've had a Vortech S-trim, Novi 2000, and KB 2.2:

S-trim--Great first supercharger, car drove like stock until you opened up the throttle. Controlling the amount of boost was simple b/c even if you stomped on it, the car would flash to about 4-5 lbs and slowly rise to full boost.

Novi 2000--Never got to see the full potential of this blower but again very streetable. If you want big power, this is the one to go with but if you don't ever think you will build a motor put a 2.8 pulley and spin the bastard to 20 lbs then go with the Vortech

KB--Couldn't tell you anything but simply amazing. I don't know how a 1.7 would behave at 8-10 lbs but this freakin 2.2 is crazy at 19 lbs :D. Now, I personally like have the instant torque but if your wife is going to drive the car, I would be concerned about if she was driving in the rain with 400 rwtq at 3000 rpms, could get sideways

:nice:

banditmwp
01-05-2006, 08:21 PM

Wait a minute...your car has a blower? :shrug:

:jester:

Crzypny
01-06-2006, 12:40 AM
This coming from someone who said their car wasn't loud enough?

Two different things. I was basing my reply on what he had stated in his post. Made it seem as though he was more interested in the noise than what the best choice would be. :shrug:

If the best choice happens to be a quiet system you always have that element of surprise for your "victims". :D

1sicklx
01-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Two different things. I was basing my reply on what he had stated in his post. Made it seem as though he was more interested in the noise than what the best choice would be. :shrug:

If the best choice happens to be a quiet system you always have that element of surprise for your "victims". :D

well ... consider his exhaust ... while perhaps not the best choice for his current setup ... it definitely sounds good ... i guess the sound has always been his main concern :shrug:

TheJeanyus
01-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Wait a minute...your car has a blower? :shrug:

:jester:
Yeah, that's a badass Kia. :jester:

Shankin
01-06-2006, 05:52 AM
I ouldnt put a KB on a pushrod car they suck donkey nads!

redhorse
01-06-2006, 06:04 AM

ELEMENT OF SURPRISE FOR YOUR VICTIMS ---- Boy, this is coming from an expert too! Lull someone to sleep and then blow their doors off.

uvbnhad
01-06-2006, 07:30 AM
well ... consider his exhaust ... while perhaps not the best choice for his current setup ... it definitely sounds good ... i guess the sound has always been his main concern :shrug:
seems to do alright to me and has always put down more hp that a 2.5" system. Not to mention with the blower added it will be that much more advantageous for me.

1sicklx
01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
seems to do alright to me and has always put down more hp that a 2.5" system. Not to mention with the blower added it will be that much more advantageous for me.

I'll agree that the 3" will do you alot more good with a blower but as your car sits now I'd suspect that you sacrificed some ft-lbs by going with the the bigger of the 2. I will say it's one of the best setups I've heard though ... just need to get a set of long tubes on there :jester: