PDA

View Full Version : interesting thread about shortblocks..

QWKSNKE
12-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Bennett, D.S.S., CHP, etc

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=546980&page=1&pp=35

EZ SPEED
12-30-2005, 09:09 AM
That is exactly why I built my motor this time. I will only have to kick myself in the nuts if something is wrong.

I have always build my own engines except for the VT engine I installed into the 03L 2 years ago.

And I wont do that again.

Build my own from now on. Even if I have to do it twice :jester:

04 Mach1
12-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Like kb zilla said build it yourself that way you know what parts are in it for sure. That way what happens can only be traced back to you the installer or the machine shop.

QWKSNKE
12-30-2005, 04:18 PM
oh I agree. I enjoyed doing mine (although twice)

I wished I had my own place to do it though. I would have loved to have done more engine compartment cleanup and wire hiding when my engine was out. No worries though, it will get done when the car is restored in a few years.

NightHawk756
12-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Also the reason I built my motor instead of getting a DSS shortblock.

As what has been said previously. I can only blame myself if something goes wrong. Plus, I know for a fact what's in it, because I put it there.;)

1sicklx
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
interesting thread indeed.

coupe
12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Interesting link...
You'll always find opinions both ways on the internet :rolleyes: Best way to know for sure is to witness first hand or take the leap and try it. When you're talking about $2000 and more however, it's often tough to take that chance, so find someone in real-life instead of internet opinions.

Personally I've seen good stuff come out of DSS, Bennet, and BB&T Racing. These were for ordinary people like you and I too; not special "magazine-motors."

As for me, I chose to build my own motor because the specific application I'm choosing. I have a reputable machine shop here (they built NASCAR stuff for Bobby Allison) and I will be assembling the components myself. Fortunately, I got the engine parts at a good price after making a contact in the industry I work in.

Building an engine is not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend tackling it unless you've at least done cam-swaps, heads, etc.. first.

osofast
01-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I love my DSS but it is a little loose. Just the way they're built. I've got one on the stand that I did myself, hopefully it will be a good motor. I'm not anxious to put it in cause that'll mean that the DSS broke!

jwillburn119
01-05-2006, 09:42 AM
i just did my motor... which i thought i needed to do... but really didn't... i ca n get yall some pictures if you want them... but just replacing the crank and rods with balanced scat i beams and crank... still 302... and upping the pistons to forged 11:1, along with a light cam... 490, 116, and springs, valve job, and all new everything as far as bearings... honed, and treated the block... all (except the motor treat, and the valve job) myself, and 3 months later... i make 325 to the wheels... with stock heads and intake... so if you got the nuts... and know how to turn a wrench... try it out... what do you got to loose... and for what i paid? i looked around... i paid 2500 roughly... and a reputable sorce, at turn of key... would be over 5000... so...