PDA

View Full Version : Just got MT DR's today

boss96
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
The only size available locally today was 325/50/15. They are 28" tall compared to the typical mustang 26" size.
I have Weld Prostars 15x10 with 6.5" backspacing, no quad shocks and no tailpipes. The tires barely fit, not much of a problem width-wise but they do stick out under the fender lip just enough to rub if you hit a bump. I put some air in the pass. side airbag I have and surprisingly it lifted up the whole car so that solved that problem for now. I'll probably be getting those "weight jacker" LCA's soon to be more permanent.
Now the good part..
I've owned BFG's and Nittos before (DR's) and they worked better than a regular tire but still would spin in 1st gear and sometimes 2nd.
Not these...
I can't believe how well these tires hook, I can go just short of WOT in 1st, bang 2nd and go from there. Definitely the closest thing to slicks I've ever tried. And on top of that I was running 35lbs of air in the tires, no heating up the tires, nothing!
The most spin I saw was a little bit initially in 1st, then they bit, went wot to 6500 and shifted. I thought the front was going to lift off the ground when I hit second.
If you need traction on the street buy these..
Bob

Italian LX
01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Yep, I've seen many cars at the track pull the front wheels with those tires. I'd definitely sport a set if I didn't put so many highway miles on my coupe.

Cougar5.0
01-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Yep, I got 'em & love 'em.

slvrbullit
01-02-2006, 06:02 PM
I got them and love them but unfortunately my axles did not like them too much. click the following for pics of the carnage http://forums.qwiksnake.com/showpost.php?p=58331&postcount=9

Definately not for stock axles and 4500 rpm launches.

Dale McPeters
01-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Very nice Bob, now get those axles changed out if you still have stock ones
in there. :jester:

ChipR4cam
01-03-2006, 07:45 AM
:pics:

I want to see what they look like on your car. I may get a set for mine.

boss96
01-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Dale-I already have Moser 31sp's in the car with a girdle, etc. Surprisingly, in the past I had stock axles and ran as low as high 1.5 60ft's and they did not break but after that particular run I decided to get the better axles.
Chip-I'm in the dark ages, no dig cam :) As I said above though, they are a pretty tight fit, stick out right to the edge of the fenders but not beyond that at least.
Bob

QWKSNKE
01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I am probably going to get some in 17's when I get my other project done

93Cobra#2771
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
On the subject of drag radials - when using for daily driver duty after the car has been parked for a while. Do they get "flat spotted" for a time until they get some heat built up in them? In other words, do they ride like crap for a few miles at 60mph+? It feels like my Nittos do (just like the stock gatorbacks used to do when they were relatively new).

TheJeanyus
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
:hmm: I haven't noticed mine doing that. :shrug:

93Cobra#2771
01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a feeling they didn't balance out good. I have always had mine balanced with weights on the inner lip of the rim only, as I hate scarring up the outer lip with weights.

However, these tires hang over the lip more than stock size tires, and I figure they don't like that type of static balance.

I'm going to have to find a place that will balance with the stick on weights, it looks like... :(

Dale McPeters
01-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Dale-I already have Moser 31sp's in the car with a girdle, etc. Surprisingly, in the past I had stock axles and ran as low as high 1.5 60ft's and they did not break but after that particular run I decided to get the better axles.

That is a very good 60ft with a stock axle without it breaking...:chug:
Moser axles seem to work very well on all the cars that I know of that
are running them.

Chip-I'm in the dark ages, no dig cam :) As I said above though, they are a pretty tight fit, stick out right to the edge of the fenders but not beyond that at least.
Bob

Bob,
Do not feel bad because if my wife did not have a digital camera I could
not post pictures either. By the way I think Chip is the one that likes to
break stock axles. See the EL Destructo picture......:jester:

Dale McPeters
01-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I have a feeling they didn't balance out good. I have always had mine balanced with weights on the inner lip of the rim only, as I hate scarring up the outer lip with weights.

However, these tires hang over the lip more than stock size tires, and I figure they don't like that type of static balance.

I'm going to have to find a place that will balance with the stick on weights, it looks like... :(

Make sure that they clean the surface very good before putting them on.
I had to use a little silicone on the stick on weights as that or
duct tape is the only way I have found to make them stay in place on the
Cobra R's....

QWKSNKE
01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
On the subject of drag radials - when using for daily driver duty after the car has been parked for a while. Do they get "flat spotted" for a time until they get some heat built up in them? In other words, do they ride like crap for a few miles at 60mph+? It feels like my Nittos do (just like the stock gatorbacks used to do when they were relatively new).

I don't think it so much flat spotting as that they ride like crap during the cold months. After driving long enough for the tire to warm up they will ride good.

They also won't hook worth a sh** below 50-60 degrees either until driven on for awhile

TheJeanyus
01-03-2006, 04:34 PM
They also won't hook worth a sh** below 50-60 degrees either until driven on for awhile
:werd: You absolutely have to get them warmed up. I think they hook less than a regular street radial when they're cold.

boss96
01-04-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure it ever gets below 50-60 down here :)
I was thinking that maybe the taller tire height is helping out too on my car, never ran 28's before.
Bob

QWKSNKE
01-04-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure it ever gets below 50-60 down here :)

Lucky

ChipR4cam
01-04-2006, 07:12 AM
By the way I think Chip is the one that likes to
break stock axles. See the EL Destructo picture......:jester:

:D

93Cobra#2771
01-04-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't think it so much flat spotting as that they ride like crap during the cold months. After driving long enough for the tire to warm up they will ride good.

OK, that makes me feel better, and I suspected that was the case. I'll wait till warmer weather before I spend more money on balancing.

And I agree, below 50-60 degrees is pretty much like a regular tire...

Shankin
01-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Those things work like crazy on a supercharged stick car.

boss96
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Those things work like crazy on a supercharged stick car.

Sounds like me;)
Bob

rja6214
01-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey boss96 you said the tires rubbed a little bit when hitting a bump. Did you roll the lip of the fender any, how do they do that and is it expensive? Also what would the next size down be so I could use them on the street without any modifactions needed to be done? I'm looking for maximum grip but also something that would allow me to drive and cruise around the streets on is there something besides a drag radial. Thanks

boss96
01-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Next size down would be the 275/50/15's. As far as how they fit it depends on your car/wheel backspacing/lowered or not, etc.
I just finished changing the LCA's to adjustable ones so I can lift the rear up a little bit and noticed that even though the tires don't hit the inner wheel wells there is not much clearance so I am putting 5/16" spacers behind the wheels to make it better. That means the tires will stick out a tiny bit so rolling the fender lips won't do anything anyway.
Bob