PDA

View Full Version : I Want A New Intake... but which one

jwillburn119
01-05-2006, 09:53 AM
i am looking VERY hard at that new BBK 5002 SSI intake... promises are huge on it, and its an all in one package... anyone got one.. or know sombody? i am putting on an intake... but i want some feedback on whats hot, new and not!:fback:

QWKSNKE
01-05-2006, 09:56 AM
depending on what heads and cam you have, throw one of the trickflow intakes on it.

coupe
01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
:werd: just about any of the aftermarkets work. I love the Cobra. It's cheap too.

joker
01-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I have hard good things about the systemmax intakes as well. Like Lee said, the trickflows make good number also. Main thing to make sure of is that the intake matches well with your heads and cam or you will never get the most out of it.

Italian LX
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
My vote is for the Trickflow.

I had GT40 irons and an E-cam and gained 33rwhp from a Track Heat intake and 70mm TB. :nice:

jwillburn119
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
i have stock heads, and just a mild cam... so... i guess im looking for an all around... the thing i like about the SSI is that is it without a doubt the best LOOKING one on the market... but that doesnt mean i will get the performance... but i dont want to just throw something on there that is used and heresay is all i have as to what has been done to it... i want proven power... and i want it flexible... i dont quite see how the intake itself would matter with the cam and heads... as long as it will flow more than the heads (i understand vacuum) suck... it should do its job huh? and as far as fuel goes... thats computer controlled... thats what i understand... so feel free to enlighten me... money isnt really important... but i am kind of hesitant to go with trickflow... because i have heard of bad experiences... but you get that with everything... what about the intakes with just a lower and an elbow to the throttle body... they seem like they would flow REALLY well... too well?

Italian LX
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
... i dont quite see how the intake itself would matter with the cam and heads... as long as it will flow more than the heads...
EFI intakes with runners are tuned to a certain RPM range. The longer the runners, the lower the peak torque numbers will be. Without going into major detail, it is caused by the harmonics of the air bouncing back from the closed valves and forcing a rush of air into the cylinders when the valve opens back up at certain RPM ranges (depending on the runner length and area).

... but i am kind of hesitant to go with trickflow... because i have heard of bad experiences... but you get that with everything...
:think:

I have NEVER heard of anything bad about Trickflow -- please enlighten me on what exactly you have heard.

... what about the intakes with just a lower and an elbow to the throttle body... they seem like they would flow REALLY well... too well?
They are good for forced induction cars due to the increase flow characteristics; however, it will kill the bottom end on an N/A car. See my abvove comment about tuned-runner intakes.

TheJeanyus
01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
EFI intakes with runners are tuned to a certain RPM range. The longer the runners, the lower the peak torque numbers will be. Without going into major detail, it is caused by the harmonics of the air bouncing back from the closed valves and forcing a rush of air into the cylinders when the valve opens back up at certain RPM ranges (depending on the runner length and area).

:think:

I have NEVER heard of anything bad about Trickflow -- please enlighten me on what exactly you have heard.

They are good for forced induction cars due to the increase flow characteristics; however, it will kill the bottom end on an N/A car. See my abvove comment about tuned-runner intakes.
:werd: There is a lot more to an intake than just maximum flow. Runner length is very important. MM&FF did a little write up once testing a centrifugal blower kit for '03/'04 Cobras, and it made significantly more low end torque with a '99/'01 upper intake than it did with the sheet metal upper intake supplied with the kit due to the difference in runner length.

QWKSNKE
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Isn't this the intake slvrbullit tried to use earlier this year and it wouldn't clear his hood or something like that.

oh yeah

:werd: on everything Italian LX said

jwillburn119
01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
i was expecting clearance issues... i guess the runner length would make sense because air tumble as opposed to straight volume huh? so i need to get something that makes good flow in normal RPM ranges... but keeps tumble to a max, as smoothly as possible...

QWKSNKE
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Do a google search on the BBK intake. I did one a little while ago and read some interesting things on it. Even though it does not look like it would, it seems to be a good intake for a mildly modified 302

Craig K.
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
As I recall MM&FF did a dyno test on it when it first came out.

Surely you should be able to find something on there or on BBK's website with some test results.

What about a 94/95 Cobra intake, or an explorer one?

86GT
01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
This may help

http://webpages.charter.net/eecanalyzer\IMG/Intakeflow.gif

slvrbullit
01-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Isn't this the intake slvrbullit tried to use earlier this year and it wouldn't clear his hood or something like that.

oh yeah

:werd: on everything Italian LX said

I tried the TFS Box intake. And no it would not clear my "R" hood much less a stock one.

Jwill--- stay away from the BBK intake, the test I saw from Brothers Performance did not net the kind of numbers BBK was hoping for, I thinkn it made not even 20rwhp over a stock intake this being on a modded car that had a Cobra intake on it prior to testing. They would not reveal numbers comparing the cobra to the SSI intake so must not have been close.

Shankin
01-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Holley systemax or performer rpm2!

jwillburn119
01-06-2006, 06:57 AM
This may help

http://webpages.charter.net/eecanalyzer\IMG/Intakeflow.gif

it looks like the cobra 93 cobra intake also has the same overall values... as far as average CFM... in comparison to the performer... but those are both better flow rates than the BBK... im gonna do some research again... but i think you all might be swaying me...

jwillburn119
01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
http://mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/138_0412_intake/index4.html

http://www.turborides.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552

this is what i found... it like top end RPM... but that article raves on the BBK... stilll looking for flow numbers

One_live95
01-10-2006, 01:22 PM
they did that test on a motor with performer or (rpm) heads, and bolted a stock intake to it..... and then tested the BBK against the stock one...I think they had to MAKE the BBK look like it was really performing.... I think the Cobra intake that was stock on the motor(why they didn't use it seems fishy) would have made more power than the BBK.

I looked around at the BBK as it was just coming out good when i got my performer. I went with edelbrock. I like my intake. Plus you can use the same lower and just upgrade to the Performer RPM upper later down the road.

jason

Shankin
01-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I have personally removed a cobra on a blown car and picked up 30rwhp by changing to the holley.

QWKSNKE
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I have personally removed a cobra on a blown car and picked up 30rwhp by changing to the holley.

I like my cobra but i can believe that. Compared to the aftermarket intakes it is restrictive

coupe
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Extrude-Hone does the Cobra a world of good...I have considered it.

TheJeanyus
01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Extrude-hone is a dirty word to teh QWKSNKE.

jwillburn119
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
well i am totally torn... isnt the lower intake still very restrictive? i really need it to breath... it already has headers and the whole exhaust back done... 2.5 to keep the backpressure... no cats, and dynomax bullets... so i want it to breath right... once i get all that done... to heads and cam i go... i want all motor, but i want it streetable... that and it already has sooooo much low end grunt it wont hold 1st or 2nd at all on a hard launch... i know thats everybody's problem... but why would i be putting on another intake just because it flows better numbers down low... dont i really need it up high?

i really dont know how the edelbrock is down low... and isnt edelbrock more carbuerated performance than EFI?? And edelbrock carbs really suck anyway... i think the systemax has A BETTER NAME... not that that automatically means it better but its STILL a carbuerator company... thats why im taking my time with this... i dont want to be unhappy with my results... these F***ers are expensive... and where else nothing compares to getting the thottle body and fuel rails included... thats another 300 dollars... the only other thing i need to make it RUN is the FPR... im not decided but... thats what im seeing

TheJeanyus
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
well i am totally torn... isnt the lower intake still very restrictive? i really need it to breath... it already has headers and the whole exhaust back done... 2.5 to keep the backpressure... no cats, and dynomax bullets... so i want it to breath right... once i get all that done... to heads and cam i go... i want all motor, but i want it streetable... that and it already has sooooo much low end grunt it wont hold 1st or 2nd at all on a hard launch... i know thats everybody's problem... but why would i be putting on another intake just because it flows better numbers down low... dont i really need it up high?

i really dont know how the edelbrock is down low... and isnt edelbrock more carbuerated performance than EFI?? And edelbrock carbs really suck anyway... i think the systemax has A BETTER NAME... not that that automatically means it better but its STILL a carbuerator company... thats why im taking my time with this... i dont want to be unhappy with my results... these F***ers are expensive... and where else nothing compares to getting the thottle body and fuel rails included... thats another 300 dollars... the only other thing i need to make it RUN is the FPR... im not decided but... thats what im seeing
And Holley, who makes the Systemax, doesn't make carbs? :shrug:

QWKSNKE
01-10-2006, 06:06 PM

Not from 2 people I know that have had it done. Even on a power adder car it does not show significant enough gains to be worth the 600-700 price tag of having done.

QWKSNKE
01-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Once again

trickflow track heat intake

Italian LX
01-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Once again

trickflow track heat intake
:agree:

joker
01-10-2006, 07:58 PM
i want all motor, but i want it streetable... that and it already has sooooo much low end grunt it wont hold 1st or 2nd at all on a hard launch... i know thats everybody's problem..

If it wont hold 1st or second with stock heads and a mild cam, then you need better tires.

One_live95
01-11-2006, 12:56 AM
:agree:

If not edelbrock, the i would definitely go with trick flow. The holley is gonna need a serious set of heads and a large cam to utilize its potential...IMO.

If you are really not sure which one you want......start looking at dyno sheets that have pretty much the same combo you are gonna end up with, and see which intakes they are running, and which ones make the most HP, TQ, and under the curve numbers........ If you run a custom cam, you can pretty much fine tune the heads and intake combo with it. Lots of 302's with over 300RWHP that are very streetable....and with a good tune near stock.

good luck

jason

One_live95
01-11-2006, 12:56 AM
If it wont hold 1st or second with stock heads and a mild cam, then you need better tires.

LMAO....way to be blunt..... But yeah buy you some drag radials or something

joker
01-11-2006, 01:15 AM
LMAO....way to be blunt..... But yeah buy you some drag radials or something
I certainly didnt mean for it to come across in any kind of bad way.

Shankin
01-11-2006, 06:27 AM
The track heat is ok but its uglier than a mud fence. My wifes car has the rpm 2 and makes 330 to the tires with afr 185s and a very small cam.

jwillburn119
01-11-2006, 07:02 AM
i probably do need tires... just waiting to burn these off... and i like the trickflow... but after all the extra crap i gotta get... its gonna come out above what the BBK already has... the numbers on the edelbrock are good... but i dont like edelbrock (not a determining factor), and the holley is for really a heavier cam than what i have... i also have a forged crank, rods, and 11:1 compression coming from sealed power Hypereutectic forged pistons, cam, all bearings, windage tray, flywheel, and gears... it makes right at 300 untuned... and with stock rear suspension... its not gonna hold onto the ground... but it still wont breath... im gonna call trickflow, and edelbrock... and i am looking for dyno numbers on both of them... I already have the numbers for the BBK because i have been looking at it for a while... so... its going on in february, no matter what i choose.

Shankin
01-11-2006, 08:59 AM
i probably do need tires... just waiting to burn these off... and i like the trickflow... but after all the extra crap i gotta get... its gonna come out above what the BBK already has... the numbers on the edelbrock are good... but i dont like edelbrock (not a determining factor), and the holley is for really a heavier cam than what i have... i also have a forged crank, rods, and 11:1 compression coming from sealed power Hypereutectic forged pistons, cam, all bearings, windage tray, flywheel, and gears... it makes right at 300 untuned... and with stock rear suspension... its not gonna hold onto the ground... but it still wont breath... im gonna call trickflow, and edelbrock... and i am looking for dyno numbers on both of them... I already have the numbers for the BBK because i have been looking at it for a while... so... its going on in february, no matter what i choose.

I have had all three of these intakes on my notch and liked the systemax the best. It works just as well with e cam as it does with a custom larger cam. the rpm 2 gave a little up to the holley on the low side and made the same peak on my car.

One_live95
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
instead of piecing together you combo from all the posts..... Post it up, and the power it made...Hp TQ etc, and what rpm...that will help give you a better idea what intake you need.

jason

jwillburn119
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
true duel 2.5 inch with dynomax mufflers,equal shorty mac headers, no cats, 3.73 gears, 8 lbs flywheel, centerforce stage 2 clutch, windage tray, forged crank, forged scat rods, forged hypereutectic pistons at 11:1, light cam, stock heads: new connecting rods, lifters, valves, comp cams springs and retainers that are good for 550 lift... planning on new heads in the future, but i want an intake manifold now...

it makes 303.38hp at 5200 rpm, and right at 300tq at 4100...
im looking for 350

i cant get it to hook so it is like 14.4 through the quarter, at 93 mph

Italian LX
01-11-2006, 01:16 PM
...it makes 303.38hp at 5200 rpm, and right at 300tq at 4100...
im looking for 350
You really ought to get that thing on a chassis dyno. It will be easier for you to compare to other people's numbers and also it will give you a baseline to compare yourself to when you do any more mods -- I seriously doubt that you want to pull the motor for every mod just to get comparison dyno numbers. ;)

jwillburn119
01-11-2006, 01:57 PM
by chassis dyno you mean a normal dyno right? that is at the wheels... not at the flywheel... i dont have that kind of money... that is in the car under load, with 31.25 BARO at 24 % humidity... it was 74 degrees outside... and my fuel was reading about 12.3:1

One_live95
01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
i don't see any way you are making those numbers to the tires with stock heads, stock intake, and a small cam....:dunno: maybe thats just me.

jason

Italian LX
01-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, if you're saying that is 303 to the wheels, then I'm going to have to call :bs2: on that... especially with stock heads/intake.

One_live95
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Didn't think it was just me..... Hell bolt on intake and heads and you'll have 500 to the tires....

One_live95
01-11-2006, 02:29 PM

forgot to add my commment was only poking fun:poke:

jason

QWKSNKE
01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
re-read his post, he was talking about flywheel.