PDA

View Full Version : Blew a spark plug on the way home...

uvbnhad
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I couldn't believe it after all the talk about blowing plugs. Number 2 cylinder blew about a mile and a half from the house in Hoover. Limped it home as best I could. The top few threads in the head look pretty nasty but I think there is enough thread below that to screw a plug into...looks like the funds that were going to buy a supercharger are more than likely going to be buying me a set of heads.

I'll try to take some pictures but I don't have a camera here good enough to really get some pictures.

Yes there has been a ticking for the past week or so but I figured it was an exhaust leak. My car has been prone to exhaust leaks with it being as low as it is and with the MAC uni-joint kits.

If you remember, the engine is out of a 01 and now just has over 11000 miles on it but I doubt warranty will fix it; especially with my history of engine problems.

Anyone have a moltave cocktail or a grenade. Maybe insurance can get me out of this nightmare.

hevymtl
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
I hate to hear that,Marc. Maybe youll be able to use the head after to get a better look at it.

QWKSNKE
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
yep the head can be fixed.

We had to do a 99 cobra last year.

uvbnhad
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
yep the head can be fixed.

We had to do a 99 cobra last year.

What did you do? Tap and die?

QWKSNKE
01-07-2006, 02:48 AM
What did you do? Tap and die?

no. Removed the head and took it to the machin shop to have a helicoil/insert put in

EZ SPEED
01-07-2006, 02:54 AM
the inserts can be done on the car without removing the head. Lots of people have had it fixed that way.
There is a place in GA that does it, I will get the info in a little while for ya'

EZ SPEED
01-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Here is some info from a guy I met in Kansas City last year named Scott Dunn
They are Time Serts and I Install them quit often. I have 2 kits now 4412 & 4412E and use insert 44185 not I repete not the Triton specific inserts. There are other brands out there such as Lyle Inserts and Heli Coils. I dont recomend anything other than Time Serts. Ive been using them since the 70's and Never had a failure due to them. I cant say that for the other brands out there.
Ive had them come out with plugs and other little problems.
Time Serts can be installed on the vehicle just be liberal with grease on the stepped tap and seat cutter. I have a bore scope to look into the cylinders for any debris and remove what ever with a shop vac and a small vacuum line or blast it with air.
For the first timer (or shade tree mech.) it may take a little bit to install. At my shop I charge 1.5hrs for the rear plugs 3,4,7 & 8 and a hour for the for 1,2,5 & 6. I sell the inserts for 10 bucks a piece. I can usually repair the coil pac with a little JB weld and black paint. I can repair one hole for under 150 if I dont have to replace the coil pac or about 250 with coil and thats for the rear plugs. This takes me about 30 minutes or so with coil repair 20 with out coil repair.

Not to sure what Fords going to charge you for a head R/R but I would expect about 3k again not sure what Ford will charge.

Hope this helps a little..oh BTW the rear cylinder on the driver side(bank 2) is more intimidating than it really is. The plug bores are angled forward on the second bank. Bank 1 angles back towards the firewall.

Again I hope this helps.

Scott

EZ SPEED
01-07-2006, 05:19 AM
And here is a place in GA that can do this for you.

Mike @ No Limit Race Cars in Forest Park Ga.

No Limit Race Cars
314 Forest Pkwy
Forest Park, GA 30297

(404) 366-3037

Here is the link to the whole topic if you wanna read.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222887

DSkeet
01-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that man, hope it all works out.

jwillburn119
01-07-2006, 08:21 PM
you really need to post some pictures of this... that is the craziest thing ive ever heard of...

jwillburn119
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
i guess this is just one guy's opinion... but it sounds more like the way i feel than anything else... i truely cant believe... without a screwup... that a spark plug would dislodge itself... physics doesnt agree... the hold strength of the head... and even more so the plug... is way beyond what a single cylinder ever undergoes... otherwise... over time (a short amount) you would reach catastrophic failure on every plain... especially head bolts... connecting rod bolts and in the mains...
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1999/June/03.html

Crzypny
01-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Besides the bottom portion of the threads on the plug being completely destroyed, there is no gap at all left between the contacts on the spark plug. :eek:

coupe
01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I work with a guy who's Harley-Davidson supercharged F-150 did that very thing. He got some kit that allowed him to thread in a sleeve; he said it wasn't a helicoil. He did this with the head on the truck too... :shrug:
Another guy I know had a Lightning do it...JB welded a plug back & traded truck in. :eek:

Italian LX
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
i guess this is just one guy's opinion... but it sounds more like the way i feel than anything else... i truely cant believe... without a screwup... that a spark plug would dislodge itself... physics doesnt agree... the hold strength of the head... and even more so the plug... is way beyond what a single cylinder ever undergoes... otherwise... over time (a short amount) you would reach catastrophic failure on every plain... especially head bolts... connecting rod bolts and in the mains...
This is a very common problem in the new-edge Mustangs.

Italian LX
01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I can usually repair the coil pac with a little JB weld and black paint.
:rofl:

There's is no way in hell he could've repaired the coil pack from the '99 Cobra we did. :huh:

QWKSNKE
01-07-2006, 10:02 PM
This is a very common problem in the new-edge Mustangs.

Actually very common with the 4.6's and 5.4's.

it happens on these motors because there is only 3 threads in the head to put the spark plug in certain year mod motors. I believe around the 03 model year ford corrected this

coupe
01-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Mark; would be a good time to get some heads for sure. Check VT Engines.

joker
01-07-2006, 10:26 PM

As Lee, and Brian said it is a common problem with the mod motors due to the lack of threads to hold the plug in. Mark is about the 4th person on this site alone that has had a 4.6 shoot out a spark plug. Mine was lucky, and I didnt have to ahve the head repaired, but most are not so fortunate.

1sicklx
01-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Mark; would be a good time to get some heads for sure. Check VT Engines.

:yup: that's what I said too

EZ SPEED
01-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Actually very common with the 4.6's and 5.4's.

it happens on these motors because there is only 3 threads in the head to put the spark plug in certain year mod motors. I believe around the 03 model year ford corrected this

There are 4 threads in the older 2V 4.6 and 5.4 heads, early 03 engines got the 8 thread heads

Keeping a check on the tightness as well as using anti-seize goes a long way to keeping the plugs from ejecting.

jwillburn119
01-08-2006, 10:19 AM
that sounds like something that should be adressed to a lawyer... that is a huge design flaw... and it should have been recalled... oh well... thats craziness... i knew i liked 5.0's better

hevymtl
01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
There are 4 threads in the older 2V 4.6 and 5.4 heads, early 03 engines got the 8 thread heads

Keeping a check on the tightness as well as using anti-seize goes a long way to keeping the plugs from ejecting.

:werd:

Catang5oh
01-26-2006, 09:30 AM
vibration is not your friend