PDA

View Full Version : Need help again

One_live95
01-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Ok i have gotten the oil pump on the car, i have a lot better oil pressure now than i had before, i still have the damn loud ticking coming from my drivers side valve cover area. I have pretty much ruled it down to a lifter or a rocker arm.

What are the chances one way or the other, I assume that it will be a lifter long before it would be a rocker arm? Is this assumption correct? I have checked my valvetrain geometry, it appears to be fine, I have pedestal mount rocker arms if that makes a difference.

Only other thought i have had to further rule it down is to pull a valve cover, and move the rocker arm i think it is coming from and see if the noise follows it. Are lifters rebuildable? Is the price difference between rebuilding them(if possible) and new enough to make it worthwhile to rebuild them.

On another note, if the oil pump in the car was on its way out, and if the lifters werent getting the right amount of oil pressure etc. would that cause them to go bad? What else would cause them to go bad? Over Revving, missed shifts, and such as that would do it i think, but what else would cause it?

as usual lots of questions, and i would appreciate some education here.

jason

Wickd GT
01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
What brand roller rockers did you put in. There is nothing wrong with the oil pressure, the ticking you are hearing is, if you put new roller rockers and they are pedestal the only way to adjust them is shiming them if they are to tight, if not you just have to live with the noise. Are the heads stock? Make shure that the bolts are torque to 15-18 ft lbs.

Edgar

By the way, what brand of lifters.
Ok i have gotten the oil pump on the car, i have a lot better oil pressure now than i had before, i still have the damn loud ticking coming from my drivers side valve cover area. I have pretty much ruled it down to a lifter or a rocker arm.

What are the chances one way or the other, I assume that it will be a lifter long before it would be a rocker arm? Is this assumption correct? I have checked my valvetrain geometry, it appears to be fine, I have pedestal mount rocker arms if that makes a difference.

Only other thought i have had to further rule it down is to pull a valve cover, and move the rocker arm i think it is coming from and see if the noise follows it. Are lifters rebuildable? Is the price difference between rebuilding them(if possible) and new enough to make it worthwhile to rebuild them.

On another note, if the oil pump in the car was on its way out, and if the lifters werent getting the right amount of oil pressure etc. would that cause them to go bad? What else would cause them to go bad? Over Revving, missed shifts, and such as that would do it i think, but what else would cause it?

as usual lots of questions, and i would appreciate some education here.

jason

One_live95
01-08-2006, 06:05 PM
they are fords 1.7rr, exactly like the ones the cobras have.... They are still the factory lifters. And the heads have stock length valves but are 1.94 1.60 in size.

I figure with the lifters being factory they are on their way out? The rockers arms have been fine on the car for 2 years and around 5k miles so i really wouldn't think that it was them.

I started getting this noise after the car sat a while (when i was having the intake etc. powdercoated) what would this result from?

jason

streatleathul
01-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Jason are still on this thread

streatleathul
01-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you could have a bad lifter, especialy stock lifters.

One_live95
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
yeah I am still here ricky......man i was fixing to have you finish the rear for me too........ I have the new gears and everything you said in the computer room here....lol

If it wouldn't be too much of a bother give me a call or something 791-0167

jason

coupe
01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Probably needs a shim on the rocker. Ford lifters hardly ever go bad, unless there's sludge built up. And then they usually don't make the ticking sound...they usually cause a misfire. .02

QWKSNKE
01-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Probably needs a shim on the rocker. Ford lifters hardly ever go bad, unless there's sludge built up. And then they usually don't make the ticking sound...they usually cause a misfire. .02

never heard one cause a misfire but I have heard them tick.

Coupe is correct though they usually last 150k-200k miles but I have heard of them going bad (ticking) at 100k miles.

I can see sludge causing a problem though

Italian LX
01-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Coupe is correct though they usually last 150k-200k miles...
Mine are almost to 300,000 miles. ;)

One_live95
01-09-2006, 11:17 AM

there is a little bit of a misfire, only if you try and rev it though like a 2k blip, that and the ticking is gonna cause me to buy some new ones and get them in and lets see..... wish i could just drive the damn thing.

I tried the marker on the valve tip method, of checking the geometry, it looked to be dead center on the ones i checked....

jason

Craig K.
01-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Sure it's not an exhaust leak at all, perhaps coming from the air pump line on the back of the head, or at the collector?

Also perhaps you just need to re-shim/adjust the rockers :shrug:

One_live95
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
positive.....all that stuff has been deleted and plugged, and the exhaust has just been tightened up and new gaskets put in.... plus it is very audible around the valve cover with one of the scope things a bud let me borrow

I had ordered an adjustable pushrod, and a checker spring to check the geometry, i have been reading up on it, i don't think i did it right last time..... my vavletrain is noisy all over but that one spot is a lot worse, and the rocker is torqued down..

jason

Wickd GT
01-09-2006, 03:35 PM
positive.....all that stuff has been deleted and plugged, and the exhaust has just been tightened up and new gaskets put in.... plus it is very audible around the valve cover with one of the scope things a bud let me borrow

I had ordered an adjustable pushrod, and a checker spring to check the geometry, i have been reading up on it, i don't think i did it right last time..... my vavletrain is noisy all over but that one spot is a lot worse, and the rocker is torqued down..

jason

Let me tell you this, when you put roller rockers that are not stock, meaning the ones you have or FMS or other brand on a stock head, they become noisy. Did you take the baffles of the valve covers off and grind at the cornesr so they will not hit the rockers. I don't think it is your lifters.

Edgar

QWKSNKE
01-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Let me tell you this, when you put roller rockers that are not stock, meaning the ones you have or FMS or other brand on a stock head, they become noisy. Did you take the baffles of the valve covers off and grind at the cornesr so they will not hit the rockers. I don't think it is your lifters.

Edgar

yep Edgar is right. My factory Crane 1.7's that came on my cobra were a little noisier than the roller tipped rockers on standard 5.0's

One_live95
01-10-2006, 12:55 AM
they have been on the car a while now, and they are currently noisier than they have been before....and the one side has a serious tap to it... I have ordered some stuff, and will figure it out and post back my results...

jason

One_live95
01-10-2006, 12:56 AM
i never ground the stock valve covers out, they don't hit anywhere, the valve covers are powdercoated, if they were hitting, it would show on the paint....nothing seems to be rubbing etc.

jason

QWKSNKE
01-10-2006, 03:52 AM
i never ground the stock valve covers out, they don't hit anywhere, the valve covers are powdercoated, if they were hitting, it would show on the paint....nothing seems to be rubbing etc.

jason

I could be mistaken, but I believe the stud mount rockers are the ones that have clearance issues with OEM valve covers