PDA

View Full Version : Gapless rings

04 Mach1
01-21-2006, 07:49 PM
:think: Thinking of trying gapless rings on a forced induction motor any thought or has anyone tried a set.

Craig K.
01-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I have known people to use them when spraying an engine but I have never talk to someone who ran them on a forced induction engine.

One issue may occur because of the increase cylinder temps, the rings may expand to much and won't have enough room to grow.

Perhaps Coupe may know someone who has ran them.

coupe
01-22-2006, 10:53 AM
They actually overlap where they meet, so they can expand. You can use them, just make sure you have the right tension and setup.

I just prefer a good set of standard gapped rings with a little more tension for a stroker. But make sure a good machine shop gets the bores square and round...it will last longer and seal better, no matter the ring pkg..

04 Mach1
01-22-2006, 04:18 PM
I have just freshened up the bottom end . I had the machine shop end gap my rings but already having more blow by then what I want. I've heard of people using them on spray and had awesome luck, but haven't heard on force induction. Just thought I'd put the question out there.

Wickd GT
01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
I have just freshened up the bottom end . I had the machine shop end gap my rings but already having more blow by then what I want. I've heard of people using them on spray and had awesome luck, but haven't heard on force induction. Just thought I'd put the question out there.

Those who have used the gapless rings on nitrous and worked, is because they are lucky. A gaples ring would not let any excess fuel go thru the rings, which are prong to lipped the top ring land or the crown of the piston. Use a hell fire ring for you set up, because it produces a lot of heat, and any excess fuel will pass thru the second ring, which the way to set them up will be, example, top ring say 0.022" and the second ring about 26", why? So if it detonated it will not butt the top ring and the fuel and heat will pass thru the second ring quicker and less chance of rattleting the ring package and the piston. Been there done that. By the way, mine I gap at 0.032" at the top and second ring 0.034" and did not had any blow by even with the vacum pump disconected.

Edgar

1Quik85GT
01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
We have used Gapless rings in our Super Stock 427 Fairlane, years ago, and it was the slowest dayum motor we ever had, reasoning???? To much drag in the cylinders!!!...I would never used gapless rings

coupe
01-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Again, it's all in how they're setup. Blowby is often not a result of the gap, but too low of tension. Remember the first 347 motors? Wanna know why they had blowby and smoke issues? Not the wristpin in the ring :nono:...
It was because people used standard low-tension rings in them and they would give-out after a short time with the side-loading a 347 produces.
:nice:

I am using Ackerly & Childs rings, like a hellfire. Pat Musi runs them.

04 Mach1
01-22-2006, 08:48 PM
So I need to run high-tension ring?

1Quik85GT
01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
They suck.... good luck thats all I will say.

Wickd GT
01-26-2006, 05:31 AM
They suck.... good luck thats all I will say.

Exactly!!

Edgar

Disney Lincoln
01-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Odd responces in this thread. I have used C&A ZG rings and have known many others to use them with great success. They are usaed quite often in turbo/blower cars. Again, like Coupe said, it is ALL in the build. You can't just buy a set and slap em in. You haev to pay attention to the style of ring you buy, the gapping, the cylinder wall finish, and the groove sizing. If you build a motor that maeks less power with gapless rings than with a standard ring, you don't need to be building engines, simple as that.

1Quik85GT
01-27-2006, 09:23 AM
So I guess, building my own engines that make 762HP N/A, I dont need to build engines...huh???? Yes you are right , alot has to do with the honing process. They dont work, not in non-power adder classes, maybe in NOS,Turbo, Supercharger forms, I dont know, because thats not what I deal with, but in Class Racing, they suck!!!

Disney Lincoln
01-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok, you stick to standard rings, I'll use Gapless where I see fit. We can agree to disagree, and I will acknowledge that there are engine where either ring may work better than the other. IMHO though, 90% of the time, you can make more hp with a gapless than a standard ring.
FWIW I have Hellfires for my newest engine.

Congrats on your 762HP N/A engine. That's a stout piece for sure!

1Quik85GT
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Disney Lincoln

thank you for the congrats, I do apologize if I came off as a butthole, I didnt mean to. I had a bad nite at work, and I guess it rubbed off on to here, again I am sorry!!! Our 2nd motor is goin to be the .043-0.43, 3mm ring combination, with lateral gas porting,we will see how it does as far as HP and track ET, but thats a different subject.

Hopefully the new HP we made I should run 9.30s in a 3400lb stick shifted car.

Disney Lincoln
01-28-2006, 01:33 PM
I think gas porting the piston takes ring seal to another level. You can never get any ring to seal as well as a gas ported ring, but they can also be hard on cylinder walls at the same time. Not exactly street car type stuff!! lol

Is your current motor gas ported?

9.30 NA @3400# is wicked, I don't care who you are!

1Quik85GT
01-30-2006, 12:20 AM
no, not gas ported

coupe
01-30-2006, 09:26 AM
FWIW I have Hellfires for my newest engine.

mee too. :P