PDA

View Full Version : intercooler question

joker
01-21-2006, 10:58 PM
When choosing the size of an intercooler, what are the factors that should be used? Is it more important to choose an intercooler based on total hp, the amount of boost you plan on pushing, or total cfm flow of the power adder? Is there a equation to relate intercooler cubic size and flow rating to any of these factors?

ncontt
01-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I think the main thing is the pressure drop across the core, meaning how much boost do you lose from the point it goes in, to the point it comes out....most acceptable ranges are in the 1.5-2 lbs of boost if I recall. You may want to look into the book "maximum boost" by Corky Bell, that and "turbochargers" by Hugh McGinnis (sp?)

ALSO here is an excellent read that was originally posted on Turbomustangs.com
http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbotech/main.htm#coolertheory
enjoy.

Brad

joker
01-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I am not really too concerned with having one that is too large, and getting pressure drop, but rather concerned with gettting one that is too small, and getting intake temps that are too high.

coupe
01-22-2006, 08:54 PM
My friend went 108 in the 1/8 non-intercooled.
Another ran 10.30's @ over 130 mph at steel...non-intercooled.

In some cases, an intercooler can slow the combo down. It takes a carefully designed core and inlet/outlet to optimize the system.

joker
01-22-2006, 09:09 PM
My friend went 108 in the 1/8 non-intercooled.
Another ran 10.30's @ over 130 mph at steel...non-intercooled.

In some cases, an intercooler can slow the combo down. It takes a carefully designed core and inlet/outlet to optimize the system.
Detonation and high intake temps is my major concern, I really dont care about breaking any records, just want a good safe street setup.

Skillet
01-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Meth is your friend. :chug:

joker
01-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Meth is your friend. :chug:Naaa, that crap makes my nose burn. Plus the dog would come after me :jester:

QWKSNKE
01-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Detonation and high intake temps is my major concern, I really dont care about breaking any records, just want a good safe street setup.

Very wise and I agree completely