PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and spring suggestions?

Crzypny
01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
OK guys, I'm ready to update the wheels on my GT and plan to do it in the next week or so. Any suggestions as to what wheels look good for the fox GT?

Also would like suggestions from you guys about what vendor(s) to look at for suspension. My goal is to lower the car and to improve the handling. Was looking with going with Kenny Brown but now that looks as though that option may be out. :(

1sicklx
01-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Personally I like the 99 cobra's .... Might consider Ford C springs :shrug:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/1qwikgt/441070_187_full.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/1qwikgt/441070_170_full.jpg

TheJeanyus
01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Maximum Motorsports makes some good package stuff. :metal:

Those are '01 Cobra wheels, not '99s, but they look great. THe '99s are satin finished. :yup:

qkjuicedpony
01-22-2006, 02:16 PM
cant go wrong with the bullit wheels on a fox gt.17x8's up front and the 17x10.5's out back.they will fit and look nice.or the argent finish FR500's in the same measurements would look good too.

do an sn95 front brake conversion for some better stopping and then do some eibach progressive rate springs.

Craig K.
01-22-2006, 04:31 PM
How much money do you want to spend?
If it were me I would do as mentioned above (SN95 brake conversion) this gets you into the 5 lug wheel choices, which I think are more readily available and cheaper.

Here is what I would do:
SN95 spindles
new Cobra caliper/rotor kit (fronts)
Rear - 5 lug conversion with new drums
If money doesn't matter much then do a 5 lug rear disk conversion
Then get a set of eibach springs (Pro kit) along with a new strut shock package (perhaps KYB, koni, or???)
Then get a set of 17x8 Cobra rim (98, 99, 01, or 03/04) all look good and are reasonabally priced.

TheJeanyus
01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Then get a set of 17x8 Cobra rim (98, 99, 01, or 03/04) all look good and are reasonabally priced.
'03/'04 Cobra wheels are 9" wide. :yup:

redhorse
01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Black Bullits

QWKSNKE
01-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I like the 01 cobra wheels on lowered fox GT's :yup:

Ponygirl
01-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Maximum Motorsports makes some good package stuff. :metal:

Those are '01 Cobra wheels, not '99s, but they look great. THe '99s are satin finished. :yup:
I knew those wheels looked familiar. :D

1sicklx
01-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Those are '01 Cobra wheels, not '99s, but they look great.

:shrug: at least we all agree the cobra's look good on it :D

TheJeanyus
01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
:yup:

Crzypny
01-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Not sure yet if I'm ready to spend the money for the 5 lug at this point. If I stay with the 4 what do you think about these with a change of the center cap?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M1007R54.jpg

1sicklx
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
That's what Italian has on his car ;)

qkjuicedpony
01-23-2006, 12:57 PM
no not those wheels....please no they look bad

go ahead and do the 5 lug too....you wont regret it

TheJeanyus
01-23-2006, 01:04 PM
go ahead and do the 5 lug too....you wont regret it
:stupid: I wouldn't spend the money on 4 lug wheels then do a 5 lug swap later and have to buy wheels twice if it were me. :shrug:

Crzypny
01-23-2006, 03:02 PM
:stupid: I wouldn't spend the money on 4 lug wheels then do a 5 lug swap later and have to buy wheels twice if it were me. :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing about having to purchase wheels twice, but at the same time I've been considering other options that would be open if I held off on the 5 lug conversion for now. :shrug:

qkjuicedpony
01-23-2006, 03:18 PM
if you are holding off on the 5 lug conversion then wait on the wheels too

TheJeanyus
01-23-2006, 03:19 PM
:werd: Unless you could find a set of used wheels that you could buy and use for a while, then resell for about the same thing you paid for them. :shrug:

Crzypny
01-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Well...only thing about that is I need tires NOW. I'm already slipping and sliding all over the road even if it looks like it's going to rain. I hate to buy tires and then turn around and purchase them again when I replace the wheels. :(

Guess I can always wait on lowering the car an opt to go with the 5 lug conversion now - probably be a better choice in the long run.

1sicklx
01-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Well...only thing about that is I need tires NOW. I'm already slipping and sliding all over the road even if it looks like it's going to rain.

:werd: Please ... if you see a black gt behind you DON'T spit out your window ... you may put her in the wall. :jester:

TheJeanyus
01-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Guess I can always wait on lowering the car an opt to go with the 5 lug conversion now - probably be a better choice in the long run.
That sounds like a good plan to me. :yup:

redhorse
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
With everything that has been said, I would say your best action would be to invest in a good set of tires. The best performance mod for handling has to be the tires that you choose. Also the safety factor has to be considered, as stated earlier you are already slipping so get the tires and let the other things work themselves out. Here are a couple ideas and I am sure that there will be other comments. Keep in mind I am going from what I have experienced in a 03 GT so somethings might be different.

1. Stock Goodyear tires that came on my GT; they are Goodyears what else can be said, good handling, good looking. At question would be the tread life and price.

2. Fuzion - Although they are inexpensive, I was very disappointed with these tires. They flat spotted when they sat up for a couple of days and sounded like a frieght train coming down the road. Tread life was horrible to put it lightly.

3. BF Goodrich Sport Performance - Present tire that is now being used, very pleased with the tire. Price was good, good looking tread, good cornering, good tread life 35,000 miles and still have a little life. Very comfortable in the rain. Very little road noise, all in all a very good tire.

4. Ah, the now famous Nitto 555, have put them on a Toyota Solara and it totally changed the car. The car was taken on parts of the Dragon and handled outstanding. Very good ride, tread life is looking very well, handling is great. This will be the tire that goes on the GT next.

Sorry, for the book but the tires have to be the biggest concern in my opinion. Whatever rims or wheels you choose and don't replace the rubber. Nothing will look good with mud on them or bent from traveling into a ditch somewhere because of worn out tires.

TheJeanyus
01-23-2006, 09:20 PM
I think this car looks good. :yup:

http://i1.tinypic.com/mijaz6.jpg

Not sure what suspension setup that is, though.

slvrbullit
01-23-2006, 09:52 PM
you could always dig out the ole Centerline Mullet wheels..........................{ducks and runs}

redhorse
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
you could always dig out the ole Centerline Mullet wheels..........................{ducks and runs}

Great minds do think alike Tommy; I was thinking the exact same thing.

rtusnake
01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
I like the mach wheels. Everyone else seems to hate them though lol

Crzypny
01-23-2006, 11:02 PM

Might as well go ahead and put them on.....someone has already told me I'm a redneck for putting the Mac Pro-dumps on. :rolleyes:

I think this car looks good. :yup:

Not sure what suspension setup that is, though.

:agree: :drool:

1sicklx
01-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Might as well go ahead and put them on.....someone has already told me I'm a redneck for putting the Mac Pro-dumps on. :rolleyes:

I'm sure your neighbors enjoyed that midnight test drive too. :popcorn:

IF it were me, I think I'd go ahead and get the 5 lug swap and gear install all knocked out at the same time [no sense in leaving the gears sitting under your bed for a year] ... as for the wheels ... I like both the '99/'01 and '03 Cobra's ... and while I know you aren't a big fan of "shiny" wheels I am partial to a polished wheel on a black car. So I would go with either the '01's or '03's. :chug: