PDA

View Full Version : FYI.. Vin engraving on blocks

QWKSNKE
01-14-2005, 10:31 PM
If you didn't know they still put #'s on your engine to match your vin. I had been told this before but didn't believe it. I thought this was a practice done away with in the 70's. But tonight Brian and I confirmed they still did on the 302's in 93.

The vin is engraved (not cast or stamped) at the back of the top side of the block about a 1/4 inch or so from the intake. It is the last 5-6#'s of your vin which is the serial # of the car.

We both took pics but mine didn't come out. I am sure when Brian has time, he will throw his pic up. (I know his pic showed up)

Italian LX
01-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I am sure when Brian has time, he will throw his pic up. (I know his pic showed up)

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/vin-block.jpg

Italian LX
01-14-2005, 10:40 PM
The vin is engraved (not cast or stamped). . .
Now that I'm looking at the close-up pictures, it's obviously stamped -- but it seemed to be engraved when we originally looked at it due to the irregulariy of the numbers.

EZ SPEED
01-15-2005, 05:07 AM
No VIN number on the Mod Motor in the 03L

qkjuicedpony
01-15-2005, 06:05 AM
No VIN number on the Mod Motor in the 03L

not on any mod motor i've worked on lately either...

but what is a vin number?is that like a vehicle identification number number :poke:

:jester:

Craig K.
01-15-2005, 06:31 AM
VIN's are either stamped or etch, depending on the tooling that is used in the assembly plant. Usually this is done on a chassis assembly line, or the engine assembly line, before the engine/transmission are mated to the body.

General practice is the the VIN is etched if it is going into aluminum and stamped if it is going into cast iron or steel (such as a frame).

Usually manufactures id blocks, transmissions, and frames (such as trucks).

Another way that the OEM's track this is that the blocks/transmissions get a serial number etch'ed in them at the engine/transmission plants. Before the engine/trans is married to the body, this serial number is scanned and held electonically to the VIN in the company records.

I am not sure if this is still a Federal Requirment or not (I will check my FMVSS book) however I do know that most companies also want to do this for warranty tracking.

I can confirm that these practices above are used at Mitsubishi, Chrysler General Motors and MB.

EZ SPEED
01-15-2005, 07:09 AM

but what is a vin number?is that like a vehicle identification number number :poke:

go smoke a pole

QWKSNKE
01-15-2005, 07:29 AM

:slap: you knew what the hell I meant

banditmwp
01-15-2005, 07:58 AM

:yup:

Like the ATM Machine...you know, the Automated Teller Machine Machine. :D

svopaul
01-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Yup....they are also stamped on the side of the transmission case ;)

Italian LX
01-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Yup....they are also stamped on the side of the transmission case ;)
Hmm, I've never seen that. I guess I'll have to check for Lee's VIN the next time I drop my T-5. ;)

NightHawk756
01-15-2005, 08:18 PM
My mexican is engraved with one. Of course, it's a 68. ;)

93Cobra#2771
01-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Had heard it, but have never seen it - till now, that is...

Craig K.
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Hmm, I've never seen that. I guess I'll have to check for Lee's VIN the next time I drop my T-5. ;)

I saw mine on the T-5 in the Cobra lastnight.