http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/cobra-tob-01.jpg

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/cobra-tob-02.jpg

clutch fork

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/cobra-tob-04.jpg

Pressure Plate
http://www.deepstageperformance.com/pics/cobra-tob-05.jpg

One_live95
01-29-2006, 01:04 PM
is that a centeforce clutch? Can you still use it, or will the P/P have to be replaced.

jason

coupe
01-29-2006, 03:29 PM
:nono: Sucks man. Maybe that was one of those failure-prone SPEC bearings :rolleyes:

That happens every now & then, no matter the brand. Then again, you may luck out and have the 150k mile bearing that is still quiet as a church mouse.

Anyhow, let me know what you wanna do; Myself or Shankin can get you a killer deal (he's a dealer). I can get you a bearing too if you want. :nice:

QWKSNKE
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
yes Jason, it is a Centerforce clutch with a Advance Autoparts bearing.

Coupe, I am at that dilemma now. I had planned on upgrading the tranny this year. I in a situation now where I don't want to spend the money on a clutch for my current setup and then have to buy another later on this year when the tranny is upgraded

banditmwp
01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
yes Jason, it is a Centerforce clutch with a Advance Autoparts bearing.

Coupe, I am at that dilemma now. I had planned on upgrading the tranny this year. I in a situation now where I don't want to spend the money on a clutch for my current setup and then have to buy another later on this year when the tranny is upgraded

I doubt you'd be interested but I can get you a stock replacement clutch to get you through ( :think: maybe ) for less than $100. :shrug:

Italian LX
01-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I doubt you'd be interested but I can get you a stock replacement clutch to get you through ( :think: maybe ) for less than $100. :shrug:
I have a stock replacement clutch with low miles if he wanted to do that; however, that would not be a good idea behind a 600hp motor.

Besides, we would rather not have to drop the tranny again just to swap the clutches again. :nono:

If anything, we would just throw another TOB just to get by. But thanks for the offer. :nice:

banditmwp
01-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a stock replacement clutch with low miles if he wanted to do that; however, that would not be a good idea behind a 600hp motor.

Besides, we would rather not have to drop the tranny again just to swap the clutches again. :nono:

If anything, we would just throw another TOB just to get by. But thanks for the offer. :nice:
Bring me the TOB if you did buy it from O'reilly and I'll warranty it out. :nice:

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
just a thought but if you decided to go with a tko 500 you can get it with a 10 spline input shaft.so if you put in a good clutch now you wouldnt have to change it

QWKSNKE
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
just a thought but if you decided to go with a tko 500 you can get it with a 10 spline input shaft.so if you put in a good clutch now you wouldnt have to change it

Will a 10 spline input shaft tranny hold up to abuse?

Italian LX
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I figured he could also just change out the disc if he does go with the higher spline count. :shrug:

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Will a 10 spline input shaft tranny hold up to abuse?

how many t5 input shafts have you broken????????i have seen many old 3550's run mid to low 6's in the 1/8 with the stock input shaft

QWKSNKE
01-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I have killed 2 input shafts

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 06:52 PM

and 78 gearsets :D

Italian LX
01-29-2006, 06:53 PM
He's talking about the splines shaft itself -- not the gear.

Italian LX
and 78 gearsets :D
:doh:

qkjuicedpony
He's talking about the splines shaft itself -- not the gear.
there is a gear connected to the input shaft so if that gear was broken then he killed an input shaft:jester:

QWKSNKE
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
there is a gear connected to the input shaft so if that gear was broken then he killed an input shaft:jester:

yep. I have stripped every tooth off the input shaft gear 2 times

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
yep. I have stripped every tooth off the input shaft gear 2 times
the tremec gears are stronger than stock t5's so id say you would be ok.its not like you are racing it every weekend

Italian LX
01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
the tremec gears are stronger than stock t5's so id say you would be ok.its not like you are racing it every weekend
Is the gear itself any stronnger in the 26-spline TKO input as compared to the 10-spline TKO input?

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Is the gear itself any stronnger in the 26-spline TKO input as compared to the 10-spline TKO input?

the 26 spline shaft is supposed to spread the force over the shaft and the gears a little better than the 10 spline but the 10 spline still holds up pretty good.

QWKSNKE
01-29-2006, 07:33 PM

I'll keep that in mind then

qkjuicedpony
01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I'll keep that in mind then

good deal.just another option you have

coupe
01-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Lee. I work at friggin SPEC clutch. You buy the first one, at a discount, I can take care of your disk-changes/rebuilds for cheap. Ask slvrbullit how much it cost him for me to totally rebuild (brand new) his whole stage 3 clutch and flywheel friction surface...

1Quik85GT
01-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I would go to the 26spline if I was you Lee!!!! They make a 26pline shaft for a reason. You never know how much HP or torque you are goin to make in the future...do it right the first time.

NightHawk756
01-30-2006, 09:25 AM
I would go to the 26spline if I was you Lee!!!! They make a 26pline shaft for a reason. You never know how much HP or torque you are goin to make in the future...do it right the first time.

Yeah, that's the route I'm going. Just to be on the safe side.;)

Craig K.
01-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Lee, just through a new TOB in and be done with it until you upgrade later.

Looking at the picture, to me it looks like the steel of the TOB wore off onto the clutch fingers. Meaning that there probably isn't any damage to the fingers.

To be on the safe side, try and sand down the fingers and clean them, then get some surface crack detector (used for checking cylinder heads) and see if there are any hair line cracks in the fingers, if not I would just do the TOB.

If there are cracks int the fingers, call up Coupe and see about getting a replacement PP.

In either case I would get the TOB from Coupe, I have close to 25k miles on the one that I got from him.

QWKSNKE
01-30-2006, 06:55 PM
As much as I hate dropping tranny's I doubt I will continue on with the current centerforce based off the way the fingers look.

Italian LX
01-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Looking at the picture, to me it looks like the steel of the TOB wore off onto the clutch fingers. Meaning that there probably isn't any damage to the fingers.
That picture doesn't do the damage justice. There is quite a bit of material missing from the fingers. :(

Italian LX
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
As much as I hate dropping tranny's I doubt I will continue on with the current centerforce based off the way the fingers look.
I don't mind dropping transmissions. :shrug:

:D

QWKSNKE
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
I don't mind dropping transmissions. :shrug:

:D

obviously

nxcoupe
01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
I sheered off a course spline Tremec input shaft, David should have that laying around spec somewhere, I sent the disk back to him with the input broken off in it. It was a stage three clutch disk. At that time they were new to the market and he was helping me with my street reneagade car. he sent me a stage 4 disk, and I went to a fine spline, and never had another problem.
The new 500's and 600's have different ratio's making the input gear itself also stronger. So, technically that's why the 500 is rated at 500 ft lbs of torque and the 600 is rated at 600 ft lbs of torque. The alloys are the same, but the gear tooth counts are different and don't interchange like the old TKO and 3550's.
Hope this helps. I have had one lock up like that and I got a bunch more miles out of the clutch with a new bearing. What's the worst case? You have to pull the trans out again later.

04 Mach1
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I've seen alot worst finger on preasure plates. Throw another TOB in it and get beating on it until your upgraded trans gets here.:jester:

Shankin
02-02-2006, 06:02 AM
What does your bearing retainer look like?

Italian LX
02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
What does your bearing retainer look like?
It shows definite signs of heat, but it's not gouged or grooved -- still very smooth all the way to the end.