PDA

View Full Version : Tweecer

jwillburn119
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
i have been looking at the software... and all the posts about it... is it something that someone who knows nothing about should get into???

it looks like it would be cool to be able to tune my own EEC, but how do I get started?

Dale McPeters
01-30-2006, 06:01 PM
i have been looking at the software... and all the posts about it... is it something that someone who knows nothing about should get into???

Well that one is a hard question to answer. How much spare time do you
want to dedicate to learning about the Ford EEC? How much reading and
studying do you want to do? Are you mechanically inclined, meaning do you
work on your own car or do you pay someone else to work on it? Yes this does come in to play when tuning.
It will also depend on what year EEC you are starting out with as sometjhing
like the A9L EEC-IV is going to be a lot easier to learn than a ZYA2 EEC-V as
the later model pcms are a little more difficult to grasp sometimes compared
to the earlier models.

I will say that you can learn anything if you have patience, patience & more patience along with lots of Advil...:D

it looks like it would be cool to be able to tune my own EEC, but how do I get started?

It is cool to be able to tune ones on car it is just like tuning the older models
that had a carb except now most everything is done on a laptop keyboard.
If the archives were working then you could start there but.......:popcorn:
To get started I would join the yahoo EEC-Tuner list and read thru some of
the old archive posts. Lots of good info in there if you can weed through
some of the garbage that gets posted every now and then. You can also read through some of the posts on this site. If you are tuning an EEC-IV then pm 93cobra2771 and get his definition sheet as it has some good info also. Hopefully it will be updated shortly.....

And ask lots of questions!!! Remember there are no dumb questions....;)

QWKSNKE
01-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Well that one is a hard question to answer. How much spare time do you
want to dedicate to learning about the Ford EEC? How much reading and
studying do you want to do? Are you mechanically inclined, meaning do you
work on your own car or do you pay someone else to work on it? Yes this does come in to play when tuning.
It will also depend on what year EEC you are starting out with as sometjhing
like the A9L EEC-IV is going to be a lot easier to learn than a ZYA2 EEC-V as
the later model pcms are a little more difficult to grasp sometimes compared
to the earlier models.

I will say that you can learn anything if you have patience, patience & more patience along with lots of Advil...:D

It is cool to be able to tune ones on car it is just like tuning the older models
that had a carb except now most everything is done on a laptop keyboard.
If the archives were working then you could start there but.......:popcorn:
To get started I would join the yahoo EEC-Tuner list and read thru some of
the old archive posts. Lots of good info in there if you can weed through
some of the garbage that gets posted every now and then. You can also read through some of the posts on this site. If you are tuning an EEC-IV then pm 93cobra2771 and get his definition sheet as it has some good info also. Hopefully it will be updated shortly.....

And ask lots of questions!!! Remember there are no dumb questions....;)

+1
There is a very steep learning curve but like Dale said you can do it as long as you have patience

Italian LX
01-30-2006, 06:19 PM
. . . along with lots of Advil...:D
:werd: x100

. . . sometimes, a little Vicodin may be needed too depending on how deep you get. :D

Dale McPeters
01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
:werd: x100

. . . sometimes, a little Vicodin may be needed too depending on how deep you get. :D

:rofl: :rofl:

QWKSNKE
01-30-2006, 06:28 PM
:lol:

One more thing to add. To me it is fascinating to see what all the EEC is capable of or what it can control. Don't think this is something you will learn over night though.

Italian and I both still learn something new everytime we sit down and have one of our twEECing sessions and we have had Tweecers for a couple of years

86GT
01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Its like anything else. You have to take small steps and learn as you go. It is by far the steeeeeeepest learning curve that I have ever experienced. This is something that takes a lot of time and effort on your part as Dale and Qwksnke have pointed out. It would be nice if there was an instructor that could answer our questions, but thats is simply not the case.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people out there on the subject, but keep in mind that they all had to learn the hard way (school of hard knocks), and what they have experienced may or may not apply to your particular EEC processor. There are well over 1000 different EEC's out there.

With all that said, it does not matter which tuner you get there will be a learning curve to it. Some more than others.

My two cents.

jwillburn119
02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
hey guys sorry it took so long to repost

i have the EEC- IV out of the 1995 mustang GT... so im guessing it is one of the easier ones to work with, seeing as though i still have distributor and everything... i guess the tweecer is just a graphical interface device with a wire huh?
i would consider myself very mechanically inclined... i am a helicopter mechanic in the army, and i have a few rebuilds on old an newer mustangs... including my 1995... i know if everyone else can figure it out so can I...

does it start you out with the stock setup... or is it blank and you have to fill everything in... and also, can you just change one preset to fix say... the entire AF ratio from idle to WOT? or do you have to change every interval all the way up? and also... how do you know what to add when you install something like a cam? or is it just TRIAL AND ERROR?

Dale McPeters
02-02-2006, 02:41 PM
hey guys sorry it took so long to repost

i have the EEC- IV out of the 1995 mustang GT... so im guessing it is one of the easier ones to work with, seeing as though i still have distributor and everything...
They are not as bad as some of the newer models. They are also more
load based than the A9L type EEC-IV's which is good when adding a
blower etc. As the spark tables ect. a more based on load than rpm. Like
the A9L style EEC's

i guess the tweecer is just a graphical interface device with a wire huh?

Well kind of....

i would consider myself very mechanically inclined... i am a helicopter mechanic in the army, and i have a few rebuilds on old an newer mustangs... including my 1995... i know if everyone else can figure it out so can I...

That is good that you are mechanically inclined that does come in handy.

does it start you out with the stock setup... or is it blank and you have to fill everything in...

You read your stock calibration from the EEC with the TwEECer and start from there..

and also, can you just change one preset to fix say... the entire AF ratio from idle to WOT?

Well that is a loaded question. So I will say "It depends". :D
OK I will say normally no.

or do you have to change every interval all the way up?

Well that is another loaded question. So I will say "It depends" again. :D
Then I will say normally yes.

and also... how do you know what to add when you install something like a cam? or is it just TRIAL AND ERROR?

I would suggest purchasing Clint Garrity's EEC Analyzer as it can make fairly
close recommendations on things like injector timing based on camshaft events. Also a lot more... The link to it is in my sig.