PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! My door is ruining my paint job

rja6214
01-31-2006, 08:14 PM
My driver side door hits the front fender when you open the door making a horrible grinding sound. It's like the door is pushed forward and needs to come back about an 1/8". The door is about a 1/16" from the fender when it is closed. Is there any way I can adjust this. Please help it is ruining my paint job everytime I open the door.

QWKSNKE
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
You need to look and see which body lines are off. It could be the fender or it the door. Need to determine which body panel is off before you start adjusting

DSkeet
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
I haven't ever done it on a Mustang but usually you can adjust/tighten the hinges on the door if it is sagging and causing the door to rub the fender. I know on my 2500 when I was in high school we took it to a body shop and they did it fairly quick.. Didn't cost much at all.

Ponygirl
01-31-2006, 08:22 PM
My driver side door hits the front fender when you open the door making a horrible grinding sound. It's like the door is pushed forward and needs to come back about an 1/8". The door is about a 1/16" from the fender when it is closed. Is there any way I can adjust this. Please help it is ruining my paint job everytime I open the door.
Mine did that after I got smacked hard in the rear. The frame was a little off. :D Has the car been in an accident?

TheJeanyus
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
I got smacked hard in the rear.
Boy, that's a little off topic. :whip2:

:jester:

QWKSNKE
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
:lol:

Ponygirl
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Boy, that's a little off topic. :whip2:

:jester:
Well, Mr. Jeanyus, How else should I have worded it? :smartass:

Ponygirl
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
:lol:
What are you laughing at? I have all your photochops saved to my computer :D

rja6214
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
No it's never been in an accident. I don't know how it started. It's deffinitally the door that needs adjusted. The gap is alot wider from the door and rear quarter panel then the other side. Is there a way to get it moved back away from the front fender?

TheJeanyus
01-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, Mr. Jeanyus, How else should I have worded it? :smartass:
I think you worded it just right - I got a good laugh out of it anyway. :D

rja6214
01-31-2006, 09:20 PM
anybody know how to adjust the door?

rtusnake
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Its probably because your door bushings are worn out. It will take two people to get the door to move back if it will. Just loosen up the four bolts slightly and have someone push the door back. If you haven't done it before you will probably find it aggrevating

rja6214
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
So loosen up the bolts that hold the door on and move it back? And then replace the bushings? I'm sorry I have never paid much attention to how the door operates.

rtusnake
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah, it might be better to let a body shop do it. Where do you live?

QWKSNKE
02-01-2006, 04:53 AM
Its probably because your door bushings are worn out. It will take two people to get the door to move back if it will. Just loosen up the four bolts slightly and have someone push the door back. If you haven't done it before you will probably find it aggrevating

I agree but they must be bad wore out for the door to hit the fender

CrimsonRacing
02-01-2006, 06:43 AM
ON my '94............there are two pins of some sort that appear to be mounted to the fender,and they rub just enough on my doors to cause a squeeking sound.........

Maybe some protective tape and a sawz-all wil do the trick........

Not exactly sure why they are there and are so long....

:metal:

rtusnake
02-01-2006, 08:13 AM
I agree but they must be bad wore out for the door to hit the fender
Thats the only thing I could think of if he says the car has never been wrecked. Would have to see it to really know I guess

Craig K.
02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
If this is something that has just started, and the car was not in an accident of any sort, it is probably the door pin bushing, or the pins themselves.

You can buy replacements for these at many part stores such as Napa, or Mustang restoration places (50resto and others).

To replace these it is almost easier to remove the fender (if it is the upper one) if it is the lower you may be O.K. to with the fender in place.

These are the pins that connect the two halfs of the door hinge.

rja6214
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
So in order to adjust the fender I would slide it forward into the front clip? If this is the case I just looked there is no gap inbetween them so there is no room to move the fender up. I think it has to be the door, so I need to remove the fender to get access to the hinge correct?

475HP '03 cobra
02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
my grandma is haivng the smae problem with her 10 year old lumina lol

QWKSNKE
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
So in order to adjust the fender I would slide it forward into the front clip? If this is the case I just looked there is no gap inbetween them so there is no room to move the fender up. I think it has to be the door, so I need to remove the fender to get access to the hinge correct?

You CAN remove the door without removing the fender. But I believe rtusnake said that it would be easier with the fender removed

rtusnake
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
You can get to the hinges without removing the fender, but it would be a good idea to pull the fender off if your doing new bushings. Both can be done with the fender on but you can see more of what your doing with it off.

Craig K.
02-02-2006, 05:08 AM
It sounds like the door hinges to me, however if you want to adjust the fender, there is one bolt on the bottom rear, then 3-4 bolt under the hood, loosen these and push the fender forward, it may only gain you a couple of milimeters, however it may be just enough.

Hotrod
02-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Ive had to replace bothe sets of door pins and bushings on our 93. I did one with the fender on and one with the fender off. I had to have someone help me when I left the fender on. On the other side I took the fender off so I could do some panel aligning and it was much easier to change the pins and I was able to do it by myself. As far as aligning the door goes you just have to remove/loosen the 6 bolts on the front hinges that are attached to the body then slid the door around.