PDA

View Full Version : Max RWHP for 2V on stock bottom end

uvbnhad
02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
What is the max a 2V with stock bottom end can take. I'm probably just being paranoid but I've been comparing my car with some of the ones over on MPH and with similar mods and they seem to range in the 405-413 rwhp range. I've always heard that a 2V will handle 450hp before you run into problems. I'm assuming this at the crank which leads me to another question I have that I'll create another thread. Should I be worried with the setup I have planned or should I be safe?

QWKSNKE
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
400-420 rwhp is the limit.

By the way you have not mentioned your new setup on the forums yet

1sicklx
02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
A lot of people will tell you it depends a lot on how good your tune is, and I've seen some people go over the 500 hp mark with turbo's still running a stock bottom end. I would limit it to under 450 to be on the safer side.

uvbnhad
02-02-2006, 12:05 PM

I'll take care of that now.

QWKSNKE
02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
A lot of people will tell you it depends a lot on how good your tune is, and I've seen some people go over the 500 hp mark with turbo's still running a stock bottom end. I would limit it to under 450 to be on the safer side.

Yeah they are capable of 500 and more but its the longevity of the motor that limits to the low 400's

EZ SPEED
02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
The 2V rods are in question after the 400-450rwhp mark, some have been lucky and met and/or exceeded the 500rwhp mark, but its a time bomb.

I personally hit 503 rwhp for quite a few months before mine went boom.

My opinion, stay under the 450 rwhp mark, say closer to 400 with a good, safe tune and you will feel better about it every time you put your foot in it. ;)

go over the 500 hp mark with turbo's still running a stock bottom end.

I personally know a guy that ran 640 rwhp with a turbo on a BONE STOCK longblock Gen 2 Lightning for about 8 months, then he turned it up to 738 rwhp, lifting the heads in the process. After it cooled the heads sat back down and he drove it for a couple of more days before the motor went Boom. :metal:

Dale McPeters
02-02-2006, 01:46 PM

The last one that was done on our local dyno made 465rwhp. I stepped outside the shop doors just in case a rod came flying at me from inside the engine.....:lol:
It was an '02gt stock bottom end with Vortec 13-14lbs boost w/cooler. It could have made a lot more but old man Joe backed it off to about 425-435rwhp.....:chug:

TheJeanyus
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
400 rwhp with a good safe tune and it will be plenty reliable. I'd still be looking to swap to a Bullitt intake soon, the stock plastic one just makes me nervous with a power adder whether there is any real risk or not.

DSkeet
02-02-2006, 03:43 PM
I know this is kind of off topic, but what do you guys think my setup will be doing on stock internals?
-Procharger D1SC intercooled at 10 psi
-Anderson power pipe
-Accufab 75mm TB
-C&L upper plenum
-x pipe
-exhaust
-tuned with Diablosport
I have been told to run a conservative tune going with the 10 lb pulley and not to go into high rpms...

QWKSNKE
02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I know this is kind of off topic, but what do you guys think my setup will be doing on stock internals?
-Anderson power pipe
-Accufab 75mm TB
-C&L upper plenum
-x pipe
-exhaust
-tuned with Diablosport
I have been told to run a conservative tune going with the 10 lb pulley and not to go into high rpms...

Depends on your tune which leads to my question of...... Why the predator and who is going to tune your car with a predator?

The Rock 326
02-02-2006, 04:29 PM
-Anderson power pipe
-Accufab 75mm TB
-C&L upper plenum
-x pipe
-exhaust
-tuned with Diablosport

You're gonna blow it up!:jester:

TheJeanyus
02-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Depends on your tune which leads to my question of...... Why the predator and who is going to tune your car with a predator?
He didn't say it was a Predator...Diablo makes multi-program chips, too. :yup:

DSkeet
02-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry let me rephrase that, I didn't mean an actual "tune", I just need someone to go through and set everything up for me, I don't really know where to set everything at.

TheJeanyus
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Sorry let me rephrase that, I didn't mean an actual "tune", I just need someone to go through and set everything up for me, I don't really know where to set everything at.
:think: This will require much more tuning than an end user can do with a Predator, if that's what you mean. The Predator leaves VERY little room for user adjustment. We leaned my car out as far as it would go, and the A/F barely even changed at all (still off the chart rich after about 4500 rpms :( ). If you're going the Diablo route, I'd get someone like Doug to tune it for you - he's done two 2V + S/C setups lately and I'm sure he'll be able to get yours tuned up right.

QWKSNKE
02-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Can Doug do Diablo programming. I thought it was only SCT items he did?

Yeah David, you cannot tune your car with the predator as an enduser. Somebody who can unlock the predator (such as a tuner/dealer only can do that)

You can only adjust tables by 10% or so off the base file which is not enough if you have a predator for a n/a car

DSkeet
02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
So do I need to send it back and get something else?? The guy I bought the kit from said that there is an SCT chip tuned for the 15 lb pulley. I know that wouldn't work since I am running the 10 lb pulley... Would that be in the new ecm that came with my kit?? If that's the case do I just need a chip to install into that and not get a handheld programmer?

QWKSNKE
02-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Do you already have a predator? If so who did you buy it from?

1sicklx
02-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Can Doug do Diablo programming. I thought it was only SCT items he did?

:yup: BamaChips only uses the SCT software. :chug:

DSkeet
02-03-2006, 05:54 AM
I already ordered it. Joe Blow racing had it for $339, everywhere else seems to be stuck on $399.

QWKSNKE
02-03-2006, 07:08 AM
did you tell them it was for a supercharged 2002 GT?

If you didn't, that programmer will be worthless to you when it gets here

TheJeanyus
02-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Running With the Devil could probably write a tune and mail it to you for you to load into the Predator then into the car, if you really want to use a Predator.

DSkeet
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I told him the car was getting an S/C installed. So I need to sell it then? The SCT tune, do I need to buy the handheld and then send my computer off to have the removeable chip programmed? I know it seems like I'm an idiot, I just don't know alot about this...

uvbnhad
02-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Get the X-Calibrator 2. Don't fool with an actual chip; it's not needed any more.

TheJeanyus
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Doug (www.bamachips.com) can write a tune for the SCT chip. You won't have to send anything off. I'd use the chip since you already have it and try to return the Predator.

QWKSNKE
02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I told him the car was getting an S/C installed. So I need to sell it then? The SCT tune, do I need to buy the handheld and then send my computer off to have the removeable chip programmed? I know it seems like I'm an idiot, I just don't know alot about this...

ok, if you ordered a predator from a dealer and informed them it was for a blown application then you should be ok.

ChipR4cam
02-03-2006, 11:24 PM
ok, if you ordered a predator from a dealer and informed them it was for a blown application then you should be ok.
Yeah, but he already has a SCT chip. Might as well send the Predator back and get Doug to retune on the SCT. Save a couple hundred bucks.:dunno:

QWKSNKE
02-04-2006, 03:57 AM
I must have missed the SCT chip being mentioned