PDA

View Full Version : Flywheels: Aluminum vs. Steel

TheJeanyus
02-04-2006, 02:06 PM
I guess this forum is as good as any. Admins, you won't hurt my feelings if you think it needs to be moved. :nice:

Let's talk about the advantages/disadvantages of steel and aluminum flywheels. I know aluminum flywheels allow the engine to rev faster and make a little more power up top because they're lighter and steel flywheels are cheaper.

coupe
02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
A flywheel is a storage device. The heavier it is, the more energy it stores...When you dump a clutch, the energy stored in the FW goes through the clutch and driveline to the tires.

Steel flywheel hits the tires hard at first...good launch. But once that energy is expended, it becomes another piece of weight to accelerate. So an aluminum will move faster down the track and mph more.

DSkeet
02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
A flywheel is a storage device. The heavier it is, the more energy it stores...When you dump a clutch, the energy stored in the FW goes through the clutch and driveline to the tires.

Steel flywheel hits the tires hard at first...good launch. But once that energy is expended, it becomes another piece of weight to accelerate. So an aluminum will move faster down the track and mph more.

If I end up sending the Predator back I ordered I might be calling you about one very soon...

rtusnake
02-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I guess this forum is as good as any. Admins, you won't hurt my feelings if you think it needs to be moved. :nice:

Let's talk about the advantages/disadvantages of steel and aluminum flywheels. I know aluminum flywheels allow the engine to rev faster and make a little more power up top because they're lighter and steel flywheels are cheaper.
Are you plan on changing your flywheel? I bought a 03 cobra flywheel and put in mine. I don't really notice any difference in driving with it vs. the stock flywheel. I will go back with aluminum though when I get a new one for the weight factor.

TheJeanyus
02-04-2006, 04:12 PM
The '03 is aluminum. :yup:

Wicked
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Coupe's explanation was spot on.

nxcoupe
02-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Coupe's explanation was dead on. Let me see if I can add to that by putting drag race scenarios in the mix. If you have a car like mine, that makes a ton of torque then a heavy flywheel will make hooking the small tires nearly impossible. I run an aluminum for that reason, same reason the 03-04 cobra's run them. Now, for a car that wants to hook hard on drag radials, they can use an aluminum flywheel to soften the hit on the tires. For a blower car that is going to launch at really high rpm's to keep it in the boost, an aluminum flywheel will also help allow the tires to hook, by not storing up as much energy to transfer.
I run steel flywheels in all motor cars that are launching at reasonable rpm's on slicks. I also use it on cars with less than 3.55 gears or thereabouts. Keeps it easier to drive especially on a daily driver. My black coupe is still easy to drive currently with the aluminum flywheel, and a 3.73 gear. Now that it is a 3.55, it is a little touchier to drive it and not do the dreaded stall out. Hope this helps out...

DSkeet
02-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I really want one now that I know a little more about them. I will need all the help with traction I can get.

mustangmuscle
02-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Excellent info and explanations!:metal:

Have been wondering about this myself.:popcorn:

Big thanks to all!:chug:

TheJeanyus
02-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I'll be sticking with an aluminum flywheel, but I'll most likely be upgrading from the stock one to a better one when I put a clutch in. Thanks to everyone who posted. :chug:

Italian LX
02-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I have an aluminum flywheel for my stroker motor. :lookatme:

nxcoupe
02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I am debating putting one in my 03 project. It doesn't need a clutch yet, but I told my g/f that I would teach her how to drive a stick with it. ;), so then I get to put a clutch in a little earlier! I was thinking of a new clutch and then trying the aluminum flywheel vs the steel one. Then take it to the drag strip with each one to see how it works. I am really curious to see just how much it would effect a n/a motor car.

coupe
02-14-2006, 03:08 PM
From what I've heard from customers who switch to Aluminum: "Man the thing revs like crazy." Apparently a definite "seat-of-the-pants" gain. They love it. Hardly anyone is disappointed in them unless it's a very small displacement motor in like an AWD car (WRX, EVO, etc.)

1Quik85GT
02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I will let you guys know in about 2 wks... I am puttin a Cyn R Gy alum. flywheel in my car tomorrow.

1Quik85GT
02-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I weighed my alum flywheel vs my steel one... 11lbs vs 24lbs...She should rev to the moon now...lol

1Quik85GT
02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I put the alum flywheel in the car today, and drove it for about 7 miles. Its a lazy from a dead stop, but after gettin her rolling the rpms coming up faster compared to the steel flywheel. I only need 493 miles before I can lay down my 9 sec pass.

coupe
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
:lol: That 500 miles is a recommendation. Get a feel for it Stephen. If it's not broken in, it will slip in higher gears under load...if you feel it start doing that, give it some more start & stop miles...Some easy-downshifting can help seat it too...just don't use clutch as a brake from high-speed...It can bend the straps backward in the PP.

1Quik85GT
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Thank ya Matt...will do

myillwillinc
05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
i have a zoom aluminum flywheel waiting to be installed on my new motor when i get all the parts to build it...
wonder how it will do with the 5.4 torque?

TheJeanyus
05-31-2006, 03:39 PM
i have a zoom aluminum flywheel waiting to be installed on my new motor when i get all the parts to build it...
wonder how it will do with the 5.4 torque?
I don't think your 5.4 makes more torque than my motor...and my aluminum flywheel hasn't had any problems. :shrug:

myillwillinc
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
cool