PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Clutch / Throw-out Bearing ?

Craig K.
01-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Push the clutch pedal in, get a whinning sound (almost like a P/S pump low on fluid), release the clutch pedal and the whinning sound goes away.

No whinning sound when in idle, or any gear, only when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

I am thinking it is a throw-out bearing, any ideas?

96GTS
01-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Could also be a bad pressure plate that is not disengaging fully when you press the pedal and is scraping the FW :shrug:

I hate tranny work :(

Italian LX
01-17-2005, 05:17 AM
Could also be a bad pressure plate that is not disengaging fully when you press the pedal and is scraping the FW :shrug:
You have a whole different issue if your pressure plate is touching your flywheel in anyway other than being bolted to it. :poke:

Craig K.
01-17-2005, 06:21 AM
You have a whole different issue if your pressure plate is touching your flywheel in anyway other than being bolted to it. :poke:

Besides, there is no gringing of the gears what so ever, and the trans up/down shifts very good with no excessive pressure needed.
I would think if the clutch wasn't fully disengaged that this would not be the case.

Italian LX
01-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Besides, there is no gringing of the gears what so ever, and the trans up/down shifts very good with no excessive pressure needed.
I would think if the clutch wasn't fully disengaged that this would not be the case.
:agree:

It could be that one of the pressure plate fingers is messed up and rubbing the throw-out bearing funny.

Sendero
01-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Mine makes noise until you push the clutch in. :hmm:

Craig K.
01-17-2005, 08:19 AM
:agree:

It could be that one of the pressure plate fingers is messed up and rubbing the throw-out bearing funny.
Could be, this one is puzzling me. Later tonight I will mess around with it a little and see if I can't figure something out.

svopaul
01-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Usually(meaning 9.9 times out of 10) a throwout bearing makes noise until you push the clutch in....yours is the opposite...which is odd.

Craig K.
01-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Usually(meaning 9.9 times out of 10) a throwout bearing makes noise until you push the clutch in....yours is the opposite...which is odd.

Yeah thats what it is really bugging me. I will be changing the oil tonight so I will try and look around to see if I can figure out anything.

coupe
01-17-2005, 06:02 PM
if it's a clicking noise; I found out it's a destroyed pilot bearing! Mine was toast, like a driveshaft U-joint gets. Clutch was actually in good shape if anyone wants it. It's a heavy-duty SACHS but I wouldn't reuse the throwout-bearing.

Craig; you can shoot the TOB with a little grease/lube through the clutch-fork window. It may quietdown. But watch out for getting it on the disk...not the best place for lube.