PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

rtusnake
02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Wondering if you can make an open differential into a limited slip? I been reading about maybe trying to do a gear swap myself and it seems the only difference in an open differential and a limited slip is the clutches and the spring? Could you do that or should I stop trying to think:jester:

coupe
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
:think: I'm not sure. But I had a friend from the "old-school" who could do it with a Ford 9". Don't ask me how. Said he used a bunch of washers. :shrug:

Italian LX
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I've never looked at an open diff, but I'm sure you would need the specific splined gears that accept the clutch packs and splined steels. Also, the case itself would have to have provisions for the clutch tabs (I don't know if open carriers have that).

04 Mach1
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Nope will not work the trac-lock is machined, making room the clutch packs on the inside of the carrier. I was going to try it with one from a truck hoping I could use the spider gears and end up with a 31 spline set up.

rtusnake
02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Nope will not work the trac-lock is machined, making room the clutch packs on the inside of the carrier. I was going to try it with one from a truck hoping I could use the spider gears and end up with a 31 spline set up.
Thats what I was hoping to do. We have a few of them and thought it might be worth a shot

Italian LX
02-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Thats what I was hoping to do. We have a few of them and thought it might be worth a shot
Even if you could do it, I'm thinking it wouldn't be that cost effective by the time you bought the splined gears, clutches, S-spring, etc.

Just so you know, a 31-spline Trac-loc unit is only $200 brand new.

Craig K.
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Old school guys use to take these and weld the spider gears creating a spool on a budget, don't laugh, in a lower power car it works well.

I also have an open carrier and had thought about trying to use it for a mini-spool insert but never got around to it.

04 Mach1
02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
ya I'm needing to upgrade my rear end and am seriously thinking of welding up a 31 spline open diff for now. I like to call them a miller lockers. Have done a few and they actually hold up alright.

rtusnake
02-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah alot of my buddies do that in their four wheel drives. I think I will just save the money up for a traction lock though. They do work good for a simple mod