PDA

View Full Version : T5 bearing retainer

coupe
02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Okay, I started getting a little vibration on engagement of my clutch...nothing really out of ordinary so I thought well, I'm swapping trans soon anyhow so I'll let it ride. Then there was some noise like something loose in bell. Decided to pull it down last-night.

Low-and-behold, the bearing-retainer has a problem - the actual steel shaft slides in & out of the aluminum carrier. :eek:
This is supposed to be pressed in firmly. :nono:
This would explain the vibration on engagement and the noise. Clutch looks good but I will be calling Summit about their part. And replacing the clutch & flywheel since it's out. I think I'll wait on the C4 install for now.

coupe
02-22-2006, 09:54 AM
It's waaay out of warranty but...
Summit is exchanging it. I might loctite the new piece, then press-fit it.

CrazyInBlack
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
it is good to hear that they are going to exchange it. always good to hear when companies stand behind their parts. sucks you had to tear it down though

jwillburn119
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
man summit freaking rules... for example.. i bought those rods a while back that ended up being .050 too short... but they couldnt return them, because they were ran in the motor, so instead, they sent me a gift certificate for exactly the same price, and i kept the rods...

LeeH
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Summit has treated me very well too, That is real customer service.

Craig K.
02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Matt let me know if you need some extra help re-installing the trans

Dale McPeters
02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Matt let me know if you need some extra help re-installing the trans

Call Italian he seems to like removing & installing transmissions.....:D

coupe
02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
:werd: Thanks Craig...I'm pretty sure I'm putting the C4 in now, since it's all there, but I did get a new clutch yesterday plus picked up a flywheel so maybe I'll stay 5-speed a while. :shrug: not sure. Sent the bearing retainer out today. It will probably be back mid week or late next week. :(