PDA

View Full Version : Who do you guys use for a tune?

One_live95
02-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Well i know lots of people on here have the tweecer, however, i haven't went that far yet. I think i need a better tune. I have a JMS mail order, and they were supposed to do some things i don't think they did.

1. they were supposed to delete the EGR in the computer, and if i unplug the EGR harness thing, i get a CE light
2. they were supposed to have the fan come on early, and i don't think it does haven't driven it enough yet to verify that.... general driveability is aobut the same as it was B4 chip.... get kinda low speed bucking etc. when in fifth gear etc.
3. I am not sure they took off the timing retard between shifts either, if you shift the car and have your foot right back in the gas it takes a second then pulls like mad.

A recommendation on who to use, and a general idea of what prices to expect would be helpful.... planning to ssend the car next week for the 3.73, trac lock rebuild, new axle bearings, etc. etc. install. After that i will be able to drive it on the highway somewhere so i can get a tune.....lol

jason

natedawgg94
02-26-2006, 06:04 PM
doug tuned mine if you can catch him i would go to him think his username on here is doug904 eric or lee would know for sure. not real sure on the price

mustang1549
02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
i just purchased the XCal2 from doug. going to the dyno soon.

One_live95
02-26-2006, 07:05 PM
i guess i need to add that mine is a 95..... i don't think you can use the handhelds..

QWKSNKE
02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
You need to either go to JMS and get a true dyno tune

-or-

pick a trustworthy tuner that is close to you and stick with them for all your future needs.

Stay away from mail order crap. There is no way they can give you an accurate tune without datalogging YOUR car on the street or dyno. Every car responds different to mods

One_live95
02-26-2006, 07:49 PM
well i don't want to drive that dang far..... I would drive to either montgomery of B-ham........ has anyone had anything tuned at panhandle preformance..... or do they do that?

jason

Disney Lincoln
02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
I've had great success using JMS for mail order tunes. I put one in a buddies 94GT with HCI, LT's and bolt ons'. It went from a best of 13.3 to 12.5 with no other changes.

TheJeanyus
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
RWTD tune here. So far so good. :burnout:

QWKSNKE
02-27-2006, 04:55 AM
I have used panhandle before Jason.

That was the first and last time I let somebody else tune my car.

I was not pleased with my driveability after they tuned it. Blew over $600 for nothing

One_live95
02-27-2006, 05:50 AM
How hard is it to get the tweecer setup etc., is it an excel style system or what?

LeeH
03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Dale!!!
Since I did the HCI on my 95GT years ago Dale has provided me with more help than I could ever repay, Were talking way back in the EEC-Tuner days.

94five0
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
i've got Doug at Bama Chips on the 03 Cobra w/an Xcal2.. my first chip tuning, so cross yer fingers...

car's pretty stout with the predator tune that came with it, but i'm not exactly sure "WHAT" it's tuned for..gonna start with a fresh tune.. Doug can get some better numbers out of her i'm bettin..

Dale McPeters
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Dale!!!
Since I did the HCI on my 95GT years ago Dale has provided me with more help than I could ever repay, Were talking way back in the EEC-Tuner days.

That was quite a while ago....
and :bs: you have done a lot for me too... ;)
Now hurry up and get that engine together
so we can see what the rwhp it is going to be
with the new setup. I really do want to
know. :chug:

Then I will show you a new tuning trick....:banana:

Besides AL is a long drive from here just ask Lee F. & Brian.

ERStettin
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I agree with Lee. Dale AND Richard both have helped me a ton on my current TwEECer tune. I have done some fine tuning stuff that they couldn't do as a result of not being there in the car, but the basic information they provided me with has resulted in phenomenal results for me.

Dale and Richard ought to go into business together.....we need to think of names for that business.

D&R Tuning
R&D Tuning
?????????? ;)

EDIT: Clint was extremely helpful as well. I think Lee may of been involved in this as well. There have been so many it is hard to keep track....lol.

LeeH
03-03-2006, 07:07 PM
That was quite a while ago....
and :bs: you have done a lot for me too... ;)
Now hurry up and get that engine together
so we can see what the rwhp it is going to be
with the new setup. I really do want to
know. :chug:

Then I will show you a new tuning trick....:banana:

Besides AL is a long drive from here just ask Lee F. & Brian.

:)
I set the heads up last night, The I/H was all over the place when I checked them to see what they were from AFR. The I/H varied as much as .060 from lowest to highest, They now have the right springs and are within .005 of each other. The springs have 154# on the seat now and right at 400# over the nose ,Since the V/P clearance was good the heads will go on tonight.

I am almost ready ;)

QWKSNKE
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Lee,

Which heads are you running from AFR? Are you using the original AFR springs or did you upgrade to some aftermarket springs?

If you are running a cam over .530 lift and fast ramp up speed, I highly recommend you upgrade the springs. AFR's springs are junk for cams with decent lift

hevymtl
03-03-2006, 08:49 PM
RWTD tune here. So far so good. :burnout:

:werd: been using James's tune for 3 years now with no problems at all.

LeeH
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Lee,

Which heads are you running from AFR? Are you using the original AFR springs or did you upgrade to some aftermarket springs?

If you are running a cam over .530 lift and fast ramp up speed, I highly recommend you upgrade the springs. AFR's springs are junk for cams with decent lift

Lee,
They are 185s. I ditched the stock springs since they are pretty much useless with anything more than an E or F cam, I had to use +.050 offset keepers to get the I/H right. The springs I used are FRPP/Crane, They are pretty good for the price and fit the requirments for my cam.(154 seat 397# over the nose as an average). The cam is .557/.532 225/238, Its a custom from Jay Allen. The ramps are pretty aggressive.