PDA

View Full Version : front rotors

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Ive been dealing with vibration from my rotors for a while,so i priced OEM rotors and there right at 200 @ piece. Well i went by Speed South yesterday and he priced some Power Slots for my truck at nearly 200 @ piece. It looks like Ill be getting the PS's. I was just wondering if anyone else knew of another rotor that would be as good or better at a cheaper price?

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Aren't Power Slots the one that Paul says are shitty Chinese made rotors that crack really easy?

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Aren't Power Slots the one that Paul says are shitty Chinese made rotors that crack really easy?

:dunno: Thats why Im posting.

He says they use them alot at Barber and road tracks. I know he's got a business so I dont know? Im not sure if it was Sean or not.

svopaul
01-18-2005, 04:51 PM

YES...RUN AWAY FROM POWER SLOTS/POWER STOPS!!!!

I have more stories about those rotors than I can count...I have friends in the business who dropped them because of problems. I refuse to sell them.

Most places don't care about things as long as they sell....few people do like I do and refuse to sell crap. It's really easy to ignore problems on rotors when you can just say "performance part-no warranty".

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I refuse to shop at SpeedSouth. When I called looking for a Bassani catback and they tried to sell me a Magnaflow catback because it "made more power" when in reality they simply don't carry Bassani but do carry Magnaflow, I gave up on them. :shake:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
I refuse to shop at SpeedSouth. When I called looking for a Bassani catback and they tried to sell me a Magnaflow catback because it "made more power" when in reality they simply don't carry Bassani but do carry Magnaflow, I gave up on them. :shake:

Oh I didnt know you had mods? :dunno:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
YES...RUN AWAY FROM POWER SLOTS/POWER STOPS!!!!

I have more stories about those rotors than I can count...I have friends in the business who dropped them because of problems. I refuse to sell them.

Most places don't care about things as long as they sell....few people do like I do and refuse to sell crap. It's really easy to ignore problems on rotors when you can just say "performance part-no warranty".

Thanks, Paul you have any suggestions?

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh I didnt know you had mods? :dunno:
:think:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 05:05 PM
:think:

:dunno:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:08 PM
You don't think there are any mods on my car? :think:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

I didnt think.

Scothew
01-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Paul normally swears by Stillen rotors.

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 05:34 PM

none that made power :D

Scothew
01-18-2005, 05:35 PM
shoulda gotten the magnaflow :poke:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 05:38 PM

:lol:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:42 PM
I didnt think.
That's normal for you, isn't it. :jester:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Nope - my car is slow enough not to blow up. :P

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 05:44 PM
if you aint breaking, you aint racing :D

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:46 PM
if you aint breaking, you aint racing :D
If it's broken, you ain't racing either. :P

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 05:52 PM
If it's broken, you ain't racing either. :P

Sure i am. I raced teh mini-booberry Sunday :slap:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Sure i am. I raced teh mini-booberry Sunday :slap:
:lookatme: I own a SVT lot!

:poke:

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 05:55 PM
:shake:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Ok enough on that. We know your a badass jeanyus.

Paul, how about rotorpros? I know there real cheap like 300 for all 4 rotors.

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 05:56 PM
:nice: Now that we've got that out of the way, how 'bout those brake rotors?

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 05:58 PM
:nice: Now that we've got that out of the way, how 'bout those brake rotors?

See above post,jackass! I thought I had cleared that up? Kids. :nono:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 06:02 PM
See above post,jackass! I thought I had cleared that up? Kids. :nono:
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/23349.gif

:nice:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/23349.gif

:nice:

this ones better, try this

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 06:05 PM
:rofl:

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 06:07 PM

:D

svopaul
01-18-2005, 06:09 PM

Paul, how about rotorpros? I know there real cheap like 300 for all 4 rotors.

I've never heard of rotorpros....but keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

That doesn't mean you can't find a deal...I can ask Stillen about them...I do swear by those...but Brembos are quality as well. Your most important factor is that you need to make sure they are US made rotors...the offshore castings are the worst.

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I've never heard of rotorpros....but keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

That doesn't mean you can't find a deal...I can ask Stillen about them...I do swear by those...but Brembos are quality as well. Your most important factor is that you need to make sure they are US made rotors...the offshore castings are the worst.

Thats what Ive heard all my life from my parents "you get what you pay for". Which is true and why Im skeptical about these rotors too. Can you get a price on a set of stillen for my truck. I just want good quality replacements that wont warp fast.

svopaul
01-18-2005, 06:17 PM
I'll check on it in the morning for you ;)

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I'll check on it in the morning for you ;)

Thanks! :nice:

banditmwp
01-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Thats what Ive heard all my life from my parents "you get what you pay for". Which is true and why Im skeptical about these rotors too. Can you get a price on a set of stillen for my truck. I just want good quality replacements that wont warp fast.
Awww hell, just go to NAPA and get you some United rotors. :jester:

Sendero
01-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet; if you are replacing rotors I suggest replacing the pads too. "Pedal pulsation" can be caused by whacked out pads which can be misinterpreted as warped rotors, too.

I like Brembo BLANKS or Stillens. I have Baer Crossdrilled and Slotted which are very good, but I am developings some small stress cracks.

hevymtl
01-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet; if you are replacing rotors I suggest replacing the pads too. "Pedal pulsation" can be caused by whacked out pads which can be misinterpreted as warped rotors, too.

I like Brembo BLANKS or Stillens. I have Baer Crossdrilled and Slotted which are very good, but I am developings some small stress cracks.

Are Ceramix bad about that?

QWKSNKE
01-18-2005, 07:39 PM

How in the hell are you stress cracking those thick ass rotors? Damn Nathan you could f*** up a wet dream. :shake:

banditmwp
01-18-2005, 08:30 PM
How in the hell are you stress cracking those thick ass rotors? Damn Nathan you could f*** up a wet dream. :shake:
:lol:

TheJeanyus
01-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Sendero
01-19-2005, 08:00 AM

They are small cracks, you really have to look to see them. But, I expected them with the crossdrilled rotors. They will probably last me another two years.

Hell, when you drive in the traffic I do, everyday is like playing "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit"! The Dragon has nothing on Huntsville traffic.

:bluelight

svopaul
01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
You really should have NO cracks on the Baer stuff either....What kind of pads are you running? Sounds like you are either running a pad that is too aggressive/material harder than the rotor surface....or your driving style is causing this....

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 09:14 AM
You really should have NO cracks on the Baer stuff either....What kind of pads are you running? Sounds like you are either running a pad that is too aggressive/material harder than the rotor surface....or your driving style is causing this....
:werd:

. . . or he didn't season the rotors in correctly.

QWKSNKE
01-19-2005, 10:16 AM
They are small cracks, you really have to look to see them. But, I expected them with the crossdrilled rotors. They will probably last me another two years.

Hell, when you drive in the traffic I do, everyday is like playing "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit"! The Dragon has nothing on Huntsville traffic.

:bluelight

Dude I have at least 40 130mph hard stops (track shut down) on my Baers and they have not cracked. :think:

99LS1
01-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm happy w/ my brembo slotted. I agree w/ Paul, stick w/ a name brand, either Stillen or Brembo.

Sendero
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM

. . . or he didn't season the rotors in correctly.

Did them exactly as my instructions told me too, to the T.

Guys, they are not BIG cracks. You cross drilled rotors WILL crack at some point in time no matter what you do. I'm just saying, that when I buy again that I will only get the slotted zinc washed and skip the cross drilled.

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Guys, they are not BIG cracks. You cross drilled rotors WILL crack at some point in time no matter what you do. I'm just saying, that when I buy again that I will only get the slotted zinc washed and skip the cross drilled.
I don't think that's an option... if it is, it is a special order item.

99LS1
01-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Not sure about mustang, but I remember being able to get the baer kit w/o having them cross drilled

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Not sure about mustang, but I remember being able to get the baer kit w/o having them cross drilled
But were they slotted?

99LS1
01-19-2005, 02:57 PM
:yup: I know you could get slotted, not sure if they offered blanks.

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 03:09 PM
:yup: I know you could get slotted, not sure if they offered blanks.
When I looked at them, the standards were blank and the only option was cross-drilled/slotted.

99LS1
01-19-2005, 03:12 PM
You might be right, I probably have it backwards.

Sendero
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Unless they have changed, On-Track Performance told me I could get them without being cross drilled. Plus, theres that whole internet arguement about slotted vs. crossdrilled vs. blanks. Just don't get involved in that to heavily... :notnice:

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Unless they have changed, On-Track Performance told me I could get them without being cross drilled. Plus, theres that whole internet arguement about slotted vs. crossdrilled vs. blanks. Just don't get involved in that to heavily... :notnice:
Yeah, most of what I've read is that brake pad and rotor technology is advanced enough that blanks perform very close to slotted and/or drilled rotors.

QWKSNKE
01-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, most of what I've read is that brake pad and rotor technology is advanced enough that blanks perform very close to slotted and/or drilled rotors.

Maybe so, but they don't look near as cool as SL/CD rotors :D

Italian LX
01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Maybe so, but they don't look near as cool as SL/CD rotors :D

I'll pay a little extra for the :bling: factor. :yup:

svopaul
01-20-2005, 08:01 AM

NO Nathan, they WILL NOT....come down here and look at my SVO....street driving and more than 7 high speed track events and you won't find a single crack on my rotors. I've got a customer with 25K miles on his cross drilled rotors which includes 15 high speed track events and he doesn't have any cracks either. I've seen ONE set of Stillen rotors crack and that was due to driver error(bad driving habits and overheating)...and it took a lot to do that. I even overheated my F150 cross drilled rotors when a caliper locked up and it turned the rotor a different color and it didn't crack.

A crack is a crack...big or small...they "can" happen but they should not unless there is a way to aggressive pad or overheating from another reason.

svopaul
01-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Plus, theres that whole internet arguement about slotted vs. crossdrilled vs. blanks. Just don't get involved in that to heavily... :notnice:

I wouldn't get involved in that either because 95% of the people involved in those arguements don't have direct experience with performance brakes. Powerslot/Powerstop products have only perpetuated the wives tale that all cross drilled rotors crack because they are cheap, they crack and everyone buys them because they don't want to buy the right part the first time and then they crack and the myth goes on and on.

There are a few key components to brakes....rotor composition/source(US made blanks only here!), Pad compound....anything with material harder than the rotor surface is bad. People are using the harder stuff on the street when they should only be used on track and for serious competition....People who race professionally often throw rotors away after each race...they see severe condition and can and do crack as a result...these are consumables in racing. And then we have driving style...this is important as well....most important is that if you come to a fast stop you do not just sit there...you have just heated up your rotors and sitting there with your foot on the brake causes the rotor to cool unevenly and the area under the pads stays hot while the rest cools off...this causes warping and can cause cracks. If you come to a fast stop(I do this no matter what as a practice), roll the car forward a little at a time to allow the rotor to cool more evenly. Also when braking...don't stay on the brakes constantly if you don't have to....pulse the brakes and apply them with breaks in between to allow them to cool and not generate so much heat at one shot...in racing conditions this allows you to avoid shuddering from overheating the brakes.

Wicked
01-20-2005, 09:04 AM
NO Nathan, they WILL NOT....

I was gonna say, the cracks are either from bad castings, no chamferring of the holes, tool failure during drilling, or overheating.

And I'd find it hard to believe that you cracked one with normal driving and dragon runs.

I cracked a rear rotor in half one time...but that required rolling the car 2 times first. :jester:

Hey shouldn't this be in the suspension and brakes forum?

EZ SPEED
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Jamison....lots of Lightning and Harley guys have bought the "rotorpros" rotors from ebay and have been pleased.

I plan on getting some in the next 2-3 months for mine.

hevymtl
01-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Jamison....lots of Lightning and Harley guys have bought the "rotorpros" rotors from ebay and have been pleased.

I plan on getting some in the next 2-3 months for mine.

I know there a good price.

EZ SPEED
01-21-2005, 05:16 AM
I know there a good price.

As a matter of fact there is a group purchase on the Harley truck forums. I just got in on it. I got the slotted/dimpled/red painted for $280 including shipping !!!!!!!!!!

Link:

http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16194

svopaul
01-21-2005, 11:21 AM
OK....in stock. The only added cost would be shipping to me from the factory but I am cutting a homey hook up deal for you to more than offset that cost.

The front rotors(crossdrilled and USA made rotors) list for $379/pair.....I can sell the pair to you for $250 ;)
The pads list for $89/set....I can sell those to you for $66 ;)

I would recommend using these pads since I know how well they work first hand and they will not harm the rotor in that there is nothing in their material harder than the rotor surface. I am not sure what shipping to me would run but I wouldn't expect too much and I can find that out if you want to go that route.

No group purchase needed....;)...this is the QWKSNKE forum hookup ;)

EZ SPEED
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I would recommend using these pads since I know how well they work first hand and they will not harm the rotor in that there is nothing in their material harder than the rotor surface. I am not sure what shipping to me would run but I wouldn't expect too much and I can find that out if you want to go that route.

What brand pads Paul?

svopaul
01-21-2005, 05:01 PM
What brand pads Paul?

Stillen Metal Matrix

hevymtl
01-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Stillen Metal Matrix

I couldnt run my ceramix on those?

svopaul
01-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I couldnt run my ceramix on those?

You could but I don't know what the material composition is on your pads so I can't tell you how they would react...but I can tell you that if you have been running them on your stock rotors and the rotors now don't have any grooving or wear that would suggest the pads have materials harder than the rotor itself then they should be fine.

Just because you run Stillen rotors doesn't mean you have to run the pads....I just suggest paying attention to pad composition as it does play an important role in both performance and longevity of a rotor.

svopaul
01-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Having never heard of Rotorpros before I decided to dig around a little bit to try to find some information on them. The low price suggests to me that these are china cast rotors but only having one in hand will verify if that is true or not. The carbon content in the steel/cast iron from china is very poor and makes for a very inferior product which is why I always caution people about this when they buy rotors. Dimpled rotors have no benefit outside of maybe making the rotor lighter but lessens the brake surface area. They can't out-gas or improve cooling like drilling accomplishes. Like the guy posted below: You get what you pay for. If the price seems too good to be true, there's a reason. The post below was found from a rotorpros customer....He went with powerslots and I am betting he will have issues with those as well as I know they are chinese rotors and have seen many problems from them.

This posting was found on f150online:

"I just pulled a full set of those ebay rotorpros slotted and dimpled rotors off my truck after about 600 miles. I ran them with hawk super duty pads and the braking was worse than stock. Not to mention all 4 made a horrible ticking sound when not even on the brakes!! The rear rotors were way out of balance as well.

He offered to sell them for me on ebay and refund me what he got for them. How's that for backing up your products?!?!?

I replaced the rotor pros with Power Slots and they are not only quiet and balanced properly but brake much better as well.

I guess it's true that you get what you pay for.

If anyone wants to try their luck with these ebay rotorpro rotors I have a full set real cheap"

This is just information/food for thought....I hate to see anyone buy something that they will deem later as a regret.

hevymtl
01-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Having never heard of Rotorpros before I decided to dig around a little bit to try to find some information on them. The low price suggests to me that these are china cast rotors but only having one in hand will verify if that is true or not. The carbon content in the steel/cast iron from china is very poor and makes for a very inferior product which is why I always caution people about this when they buy rotors. Dimpled rotors have no benefit outside of maybe making the rotor lighter but lessens the brake surface area. They can't out-gas or improve cooling like drilling accomplishes. Like the guy posted below: You get what you pay for. If the price seems too good to be true, there's a reason. The post below was found from a rotorpros customer....He went with powerslots and I am betting he will have issues with those as well as I know they are chinese rotors and have seen many problems from them.

"I just pulled a full set of those ebay rotorpros slotted and dimpled rotors off my truck after about 600 miles. I ran them with hawk super duty pads and the braking was worse than stock. Not to mention all 4 made a horrible ticking sound when not even on the brakes!! The rear rotors were way out of balance as well.

He offered to sell them for me on ebay and refund me what he got for them. How's that for backing up your products?!?!?

I replaced the rotor pros with Power Slots and they are not only quiet and balanced properly but brake much better as well.

If anyone wants to try their luck with these ebay rotorpro rotors I have a full set real cheap"

This is just information/food for thought....I hate to see anyone buy something that they will deem later as a regret.

Thanks , Paul! :nice:

EZ SPEED
01-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Stillen Metal Matrix

If that was what was on the white truck that you sold to me...I wouldnt put those pads on a damn go-cart.
The pads broke in half and fell out while my wife was driving the truck. Are they glued together with crazy glue or something? :nono:

And yes, I have pics somewhere to prove it.

EZ SPEED
01-25-2005, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the info...but there are more reputable posts on the Harley truck board.
I will say this again.......I reasearch EVERYTHING before I buy.
Thats one post for BAD
I have read at least 20 posts for GOOD

:jester:

svopaul
01-25-2005, 07:28 AM
If that was what was on the white truck that you sold to me...I wouldnt put those pads on a damn go-cart.
The pads broke in half and fell out while my wife was driving the truck. Are they glued together with crazy glue or something? :nono:

And yes, I have pics somewhere to prove it.

No, I wore out the first set of pads and those were Wagners from the parts store since I replaced them while moving south and didn't have time to wait for a set to ship. ;)

svopaul
01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info...but there are more reputable posts on the Harley truck board.
I will say this again.......I reasearch EVERYTHING before I buy.
Thats one post for BAD
I have read at least 20 posts for GOOD

That's fine...like I said, I never heard of them before which is why I did a quick search. I would like to know when you get them what is stamped on the back as far as where they were made.

Don't get upset, I'm just trying to dig up info on them since I never heard of them before and that's what I came up with....I'm just trying to save people from spending money more than once on a part ;)

EZ SPEED
01-25-2005, 10:00 AM
That's fine...like I said, I never heard of them before which is why I did a quick search. I would like to know when you get them what is stamped on the back as far as where they were made.

Don't get upset, I'm just trying to dig up info on them since I never heard of them before and that's what I came up with....I'm just trying to save people from spending money more than once on a part ;)

I dont get upset over stupid shit......thats why I never read the political posts or anything Joe posted :rofl:

EZ SPEED
01-25-2005, 10:02 AM
No, I wore out the first set of pads and those were Wagners from the parts store since I replaced them while moving south and didn't have time to wait for a set to ship. ;)

False avertisement then....you told me that the pads were Metal Matrix on there ;)

svopaul
01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
False avertisement then....you told me that the pads were Metal Matrix on there ;)

I had forgotten about replacing those until about 6 months ago when I found my folder with all my receipts....they were still Stillen Rotors and you still got a steal on the truck considering all the parts on it ;).

Why did you never tell me about the pads having a problem...at that point I probably would have remembered and could have gone back to Autozone since they had a lifetime warranty on them :shrug:

Regardless, I don't care if anyone buys the rotors I like/sell...not like they are in stock on the shelf for a Lightning and I need to sell them. I'm never a high pressure sales person....I'll order them if someone wants them otherwise it's their choice. I just make recommendations based on what I have seen/experienced first hand over the past 6 years with performance brakes. There is a lot of advertising "fluff" out there and some products are good and some bad....I just hate to see people waste money on the bad stuff. I admitted up front that I had never heard of Rotorpros and the first search I did found what I shared but I don't know where they are cast or what their pads compound consists of. They may be fine, they may not....you just have to try a set to find out. ;)

TheJeanyus
01-25-2005, 10:21 AM
A lot of times on the internet it's a lot easier to find someone saying "Product X is nothing but shit!" than it is to find someone praising that product. People who buy them expecting them to be good, then get a good product, don't usually post high energy positive reviews, but people who are expecting a good product and get a bad one (whether it be a bad product or just a lemon set of brake rotors) get really pissed and jump on the internet to write reviews on every board they're a member of. I've seen it several times before. The internet can be a valuable tool for research, but sometimes you just have to take things with a grain of salt. :shrug:

svopaul
01-25-2005, 10:28 AM
A lot of times on the internet it's a lot easier to find someone saying "Product X is nothing but shit!" than it is to find someone praising that product. People who buy them expecting them to be good, then get a good product, don't usually post high energy positive reviews, but people who are expecting a good product and get a bad one (whether it be a bad product or just a lemon set of brake rotors) get really pissed and jump on the internet to write reviews on every board they're a member of. I've seen it several times before. The internet can be a valuable tool for research, but sometimes you just have to take things with a grain of salt. :shrug:

True....but if it is easy to find or a lot of it you have to consider that too...you also have to consider the nature of the complaint and consider if it could be a faulty installer valve or misuse.

What I am surprised is that more people don't complain about Power Stop rotors....but most that I have talked to just figure for what they spent its a lesson learned and won't bother with posting bad reviews on the internet. This happens a lot where a lower cost item is just blown off but when it comes to a substantial amount of $$$ then you can expect the person will scream all over the net like a stuck pig :D

But with rotors like I said it doesn't matter who makes them as long as they are USA Cast rotors...there is no disputing the quality difference between China and US cast rotors. ;)

Which I why I really am interested to hear from Eric when he gets his to see where the blanks were cast from Rotorpros....if US made then great because the price is good especially if US made ;)