PDA

View Full Version : Updated 4 Valve head

Blown 5.0
02-27-2006, 05:30 PM
This is what i understand aboutt the Mach and Cobra head, There was a cooling problem with 7 & 8 cyl., Causing the valve to seize in the guide, The motor would start making a knocking or ticking sound rite before this happens. Ford reconized this problem, and in mid 03 started putting the redesigned head with a blue paint mark. My question is where is the paint marking? Top, bottom, back ,front? Thanks

TheJeanyus
02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
They never put the best heads on any production cars. You can buy them from Ford though.

I'm not sure where the mark is. Sometimes I think I hear "the tick", but most of the time I don't hear anything. Maybe I'm just used to it. Or maybe I'm imagining things sometimes since I always seem to want to find something wrong with everything. Regardless, I'm doing the LDC mod when I put a clutch in and hopefully that'll help.

rtusnake
02-27-2006, 05:56 PM
From what I have read about it there was three sets released on the production cars so far. And the latest set being the best. Given I haven't drove my car it doesn't have the tick right now. It has the second make of the heads. My car has the blue stripe on the driver side head. Its pretty visible. I also read that the stripes have nothing to do wether or not it has the tick just to highlight the castings on the heads for production.

mustangmuscle
02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Might want to do a search over on modfords. Someone there posted the Ford part #'s for the latest updated heads, listing the production dates for them as well, I think. These 'new' heads are reported to have more threads for the spark plugs, something like 8 as opposed to the 4 for the 'older' heads.....fwiw

DSkeet
03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't have a 4V but I have a tick. Checked all my plugs and they are tight...