PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger pulley size & WTF is this?

Brutal87
03-04-2006, 11:55 PM
OK.. I may have gone a little gung ho with the pulley I bought.. I had a 6-rib 3.33" & bought a 10-rib 2.50" kit. I'm runnin a V1 S-trim & I'm lookin for balls out power. The car won't be drivin as a daily driver. Can I get away with the 2.50" or should I think about a 2.75" or a 2.95"?? I havent installed the new pulleys yet.. But I have to find out if the 2.50" will even work.. I have to tow the car over to the tuner by next week.

Also, Take a look at the pic below.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/HazePerformance/My%201987%20Mustang%20GT/vortech_pulley_package.jpg

Whats the round metal disk with all the holes in it for?? (on the left)

Thanks
Carl :chug:

LeeH
03-05-2006, 12:56 AM
What happens when you drive the compressor out of its window of efficiency is you start heating the air, The problem is only made worse the faster you spin the compressor. This is why compressor maps are soo important, Run it to the left of the surge limit and you will break shafts. Run it past the efficiency curve and it will really heat the hell out of the air, Soo you need to figure out at what rpm you want to make peak power and see where that puts you on the maps. Then pick your pulley sizes to get the right compressor speed to achieve the airflow you want without operating outside the curve. If you have problems reading compressor maps let me know and I will explain/help you with it.

ncontt
03-05-2006, 11:06 AM
that disk on the left is to make the pully swaps "quick change" some of them (stock type pullies) have to be removed with a "puller" where as with those..you just remove a few bolts and then pull the pully off and then put the other one on it...

HTH
Brad

Brutal87
03-08-2006, 01:19 AM
:chug:

Thanks guys..