PDA

View Full Version : Project junkyard *DUW*

joker
03-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Some of you have seen the pics, but I figured I would post them here. This is my little red batard child.

The car:
302 .040 over
b cam
msd 6a
long tubes (not sure on brand)
stock heads and intake

Things that have been done:
replaced head gaskets
converted to efi (including computer, harness, and o2 harness)
installed correct headlight harness
spliced dash harness to undo redneck engineering
replaced a few accesory brackets (more removal of redneck engineering)
replaced center console, arm rest, and the little padded part of the passenger dash
removed -8an fuel lines, and external fuel pump, installed in-tank pump and stock lines

Not pretty by any means, but not too bad either I dont guess. The engine bay will most likely get painted if and when the car needs another engine. i have actually pretty much got the car ready to run, just need to sort out an electrical issue related the the fuel system first.

joker
03-10-2006, 12:31 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine4.jpg

joker
03-10-2006, 12:34 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine5.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine13.jpg

joker
03-10-2006, 12:34 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine22.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine24.jpg

joker
03-10-2006, 12:35 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/interior1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/P1010001.jpg

QWKSNKE
03-10-2006, 03:48 AM
:nice:

Are you running 1.7 rockers with the b cam? If you decide to, you will need to upgrade the E7 springs

EZ SPEED
03-10-2006, 03:51 AM
What year is the car?

Evil_Capri
03-10-2006, 04:09 AM

Looks like she's coming together!

joker
03-10-2006, 07:27 AM

Are you running 1.7 rockers with the b cam? If you decide to, you will need to upgrade the E7 springs
Nope stock rocckers. I thought about putting a set of rockers on simply because it would be a relatively cheap mod. However, I think the gains would be relatively low considering the heads and intake are stock.

joker
03-10-2006, 07:28 AM
What year is the car?car is an 88

coupe
03-10-2006, 07:37 AM
:nice: Many people dismiss them, but I love the red seats & dash.

joker
03-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I really dont prefer red interior, but at the same time it doesnt bother me as much as it evidently does some people

joker
03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
one last pic, engine is technically complete now, just has an electrical issue. Possibly from where I had to splice into the dash harness in a few places.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine32.jpg

QWKSNKE
03-14-2006, 03:19 AM
congrats on the work Joker

joker
03-16-2006, 09:34 PM
congrats on the work Joker
Thanks, it has definiltey been a learning expierience. I know some people here dont like Paul and Jason at SVP so I hesitate to mention it here, but I couldnt have done it without them answering a million and one questions for me and letting me use the shop and tools. Jason put the gas tank and fuel lines in for me, and has taken a good bit of his personal time helping me troubleshoot this electrical issue. Other than that I have done all of the wiring and mechanical work on the car, with my wife helping with some of the tear down.

coupe
03-17-2006, 07:50 AM
That's a nice car Joker. What's the next steps/mods?

joker
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
That's a nice car Joker. What's the next steps/mods?
No plans really. Right now my only goal is to have it move under it's own power. I dont see that happening any time soon though.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Just a heads up.. this is now my car.. and a lot more modifications have taken place...

Aluminum crank and water pulley, built rear-end with 3.55 gear fully shimmed for full time posi.

X2c upper and lower control arms

Exhaust modifications and now dumped before the axle.

New MSD box, Mass Air Programmer solenoids mounted and everything for nitrous minus the throttle switch, removed power steering, almost fully gutted.

Got an 84 style cowl at the house and converting the front end to the older quad headlight. Also buying weld drag lights 15x8 and 15x3.5 new week with already mounted brand new MT ET Streets and name brand skinnies.

When I bought the car from Joker on a stock 2.73 rear-gear on slicks not only did it bog and do complete shit off the line it still went 9.0 at 78. Shooting for 8.6's on motor now with new rear-end setup and weight reduction.

Plans: GT40 heads, explorer upper and lower or cobra upper and lower. Porting the GT40's and probably a cam upgrade.. a long with finishing the nitrous install and painting the car acrylic satin black.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-09-2007, 12:27 AM
P.S. New steering column with tilt now since someone tried to steal the car two weeks ago when I was out in knoxville. Joker did a good job on the car but I am going to have to go back through some of the wiring. Car is being torn down and the motors being removed this winter for the rebuild. Going to repaint the block and heads black and water pump maybe ceramic looking a long with repainting the valve covers if nec. and the intake. Going to clean up the engine bay A LOT and make it a very nice presentable car.

joker
05-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the forums Cody. By the way, the sliced up dash harness was replaced after I posted here. You will probably want to put a new tail harness in it though. That fuel pump was new that burned up on you, so I suspect that there is a short or bad ground somewhere.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
The fuel pump was fine. Whether it was you or someone else it took us a while to realize the fuel pump relay was laying under the console lol.. the ground was shotty and the power wire had slipped off 99% of the way.. once we touched the relay the power and ground had slipped off... so we spent a few hours that night replacing a fuel pump to have it still not working... WTF?!?!? then found what was going on. Car seems nice a sturdy.. new rear-end made a big different.. can't wait to run it now.. shooting for 8.7's on motor maybe 8.6's once I get the new hood and take out some more weight.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
The tail light harness seems to work fine but I definately have wires that I need to extend. When I rip out the motor this winter I plan to do a lot to clean it up.. replace wiring.. extend wiring.. paint the engine bay black to match the satin paint that the car should already have... (Fingers crossed it'll have the new front-end and hood and wheels within a month) and repaint the block and headers and stuff. Really hoping to just take my time over the summer and fall to buy my heads and intake pieces. Probably also gonna put a flashy cheap intake on it with a good filter to clean up the engine bay. I'm not trying to make the car for show... e.g. im putting plastic race seats in it and its fully gutted lol.. But I do want to be able to pop the hood or open the door and people be like... "damn.. nice car.. clean work.. setup looks good" if that makes any sense?

coupe
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
It makes perfect sense. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Did you find a 4-eye front-end yet? I have a RED 86 lx nose complete with headlights and everything (non-foglight nose) I might be able to be talked out of. I got an out-of-state guy wanting to buy it...but I'm looking for an 87+ front clip and might be talked into a trade pretty easily. If you're interested, you have second dibs on it.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-09-2007, 09:46 AM
My front end is fine but the drive side fog light/tow hook hole has been cut/ripped. Its all there but it would have to be re-fiberglassed. Where are you located? Guys at mustang performance in Kodak TN priced me $150 for the bumper with headlights in it and $300 for a set of gt40p explorer heads.

coupe
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Go for it. :nice: not bad.

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Okay I ran the car at 411 dragstrip in east TN its an 1/8th mile track its all we have around here besides bristol..with the new rear-end setup and control arms with slicks she went 8.56 with a 1.78 60ft. That was just motor I haven't hooked up nitrous yet. I'm thinking i'll wait instead of hooking it up until I do my tear-down this winter and put the gt40p heads and new intake and stuff on.

joker
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Glad to see it is coming along for you man :nice:

88 Sleeper Coupe
05-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Yup thanks man she's proven to be a good chassis and motor. She smokes a little bit on a deep throttle or launch but not when cruising.. no telling what it could be but I think third to last plug on the left side of the motor (if you're standing infront of it) shows some oil/carbon when I took them out to inspect them so it could be a valve spring or seal going bad. She's still making good power. I was more than impressed with the 8.56 run and the 1.78 60ft considering it has that srod tranny :)

88 Sleeper Coupe
06-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Can someone please tell me how to remove these bastards without taking out the entire motor? I tried to remove them once before and ended up wasting like 2 hours.. the passenger side didn't wanna drop from the bottom and the steering arm stops the driver side.. someone with experience please help me on how to take these out? Thanks guys!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/jokers35th/engine4.jpg

04 Mach1
06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Talking about the headers? Put it up on jack stands, tall ones. Remove the motor mount bolts put a jack under the front sump on the oil pan and raise the motor about 2 inches the passenger side should come out the top and driver down the bottom.

88 Sleeper Coupe
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah thanks I meant the headers... I can't beleive you have to raise the motor up 2" to remove some damn headers.. I'll tell ya one thing.. once I start working on this new project using the stock headers im not stopping until its finished because im not putting those bastards back in if it looks like its gonna take half a day just to get them out.

joker
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
If I am not mistaken, the way those headers are made you may have to remove the rag joint as well. Doesnt it go through two of the drivers side tubes? Honestly, if you have to drop the rag joint and jack the engine up I would just find a way to cut them out since you arent planning on reusing them.

QWKSNKE
06-19-2007, 03:10 PM
long tube headers suck as far as removal and installation goes

04 Mach1
06-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Ya'll just have to learn the tricks. Please don't cut them out!!!!!!!!!

joker
06-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Ya'll just have to learn the tricks. Please don't cut them out!!!!!!!!!

Ohh, I could get them out without cutting them but with the condition they are in, the fact that the leak, and the fact that he doesnt plan to ever use them again, it isnt reall worth having to drop the rag joint and then still having to sandwhich them out. Just my opinion though. There isnt an option of not dropping the rag joint with those headers if you dont want to cut them. It runs straight in between two of the tubes between where they bolt the heads and the ball flange on the end. Now dropping the rag joint out isnt all that bad, but I still bet I could get them out quicker with a cutter.

88 Sleeper Coupe
06-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Whats the rag joint? You mean the steering shaft joint? If so I think you're right about disconnecting it.

97cobrasvt
06-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Whats the rag joint? You mean the steering shaft joint? If so I think you're right about disconnecting it.

:yup:

joker
06-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Yep, thats the rag joint.