PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation. Removable?

One_live95
03-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Well, my hood flew up about three years ago and did some damage short story is that the body shop didn't do as good a job as they shoulda, kinda evident now. It looked good after they finished it, but now it is starting to look kinda bad.... The car is gonna get painted before next year, but i don't want it to look like total crap til then.....

you guys give me some ideas on how to shine it back up if you will, i waxed the entire car with the mequires scratch x, and then the meguires NXT? last weekend pleased with results most everywhere but where it was painted before. Those areas are pretty much just the hood and the roof.

Come on paint guys.... i am an idiot when it comes to paint car to be honest so don't slam on me too hard.

jason

Catang5oh
03-11-2006, 05:38 AM
try a clay bar on a small spot in a not so obvious area, go easy with it and then wax after. it will take a small amount of the clear off which should put some shine back in it, if there is enough clear left.

Ponygirl
03-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, my hood flew up about three years ago and did some damage short story is that the body shop didn't do as good a job as they shoulda, kinda evident now. It looked good after they finished it, but now it is starting to look kinda bad.... The car is gonna get painted before next year, but i don't want it to look like total crap til then.....

you guys give me some ideas on how to shine it back up if you will, i waxed the entire car with the mequires scratch x, and then the meguires NXT? last weekend pleased with results most everywhere but where it was painted before. Those areas are pretty much just the hood and the roof.

Come on paint guys.... i am an idiot when it comes to paint car to be honest so don't slam on me too hard.

jason
You could always do like me and whine about it until you a) save up enough money to get it painted or b) trade it in for another one :jester:

hevymtl
03-11-2006, 10:12 AM
try a clay bar on a small spot in a not so obvious area, go easy with it and then wax after. it will take a small amount of the clear off which should put some shine back in it, if there is enough clear left.

Can you buy clay bar at the any O'reilly's,etc?:hijacked:

banditmwp
03-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Can you buy clay bar at the any O'reilly's,etc?:hijacked:
We have a meguiar's qwik clay kit in our store. :yup:

hevymtl
03-11-2006, 01:01 PM
We have a meguiar's qwik clay kit in our store. :yup:

Is it pricey? I'm broke you know.:boohoo:

banditmwp
03-11-2006, 02:11 PM
:shrug: $15 I think.

89 Hoss
03-11-2006, 07:41 PM
don't think clay bar will fix oxidation but it will take a lot of junk that gets imbeded in you paint out. you would be surprised at the crap that is in your paint. i clay barred my dodge dakota 2-3 times a year and kept about five coats of wax a season on it. very clean truck at the time. you will need a cutter wax or a polish not really one that is a protectant but to polish it first. Mequires gold class worked good on my black 5.0 had a few spots on the front fenders did a pretty good job and i followed that up with the nxt. also rain dance or turtle wax makes a good protectant wax for ultraviolent rays and stuff. i deer hunted and used my dodge as a street truck and it kept a very wet looking paint job with very minimal damage to paint and it was black.

One_live95
03-12-2006, 01:26 PM

me too, it was around 19$ here at our O'reillys gonna try this later or tomm....

jason

One_live95
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
don't think clay bar will fix oxidation but it will take a lot of junk that gets imbeded in you paint out. you would be surprised at the crap that is in your paint. ........... you will need a cutter wax or a polish not really one that is a protectant but to polish it first. Mequires gold class worked good on my black 5.0 had a few spots on the front fenders did a pretty good job and i followed that up with the nxt.

i tried the scratch X stuff meguires has..... and then used the NXT.... overall it looked better.... but i was wondering if there is some buffing compound or something that wouldn't strip the paint but would clean it up...... There is a detail shop that said he could take care of it.... really clean it up as good as it will get, but they want around 150$ to do it..... is that reasonable......

One_live95
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
You could always do like me and whine about it until you a) save up enough money to get it painted or b) trade it in for another one :jester:

well A:) is an option, i had savings for paint but put that toward the AFR's, they didn't dissapoint...... so now i have to start saving all over....:bs: where do they sell those money tree seeds again? lol

jason

FastRedPonyCar
03-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Best stuff I know of that I've seen remove oxidation is Griot's machince polish but you really need a buffer to maximize the results. they have 3 different levels of the solution based on how heavy the oxidation is.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1004&SKU=11560

89 Hoss
03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
i tried the scratch X stuff meguires has..... and then used the NXT.... overall it looked better.... but i was wondering if there is some buffing compound or something that wouldn't strip the paint but would clean it up...... There is a detail shop that said he could take care of it.... really clean it up as good as it will get, but they want around 150$ to do it..... is that reasonable......
don't really know it that is reasonable, i have never been one to take my car anywhere for polishing. you could take that 150 and that will almost pay for the hood to be sprayed.

Ponygirl
03-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Zaino brothers has a new product that is supposed to clean up oxidation. I haven't tried it but I swear by all their other products and use nothing else.