Baseline: 25 Feb 06

202 hp | 264 ft-lbs

Mods:
E303 Cam
FRPP Shorties
Mac Prochamber
Mac Produmps

Notes:
It still had a few hp left hiding in it but unfortunately didn't have a fuel pressure regulator to cut back on the pig rich condition.

Crzypny
03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Mar 06

248 hp | 283 ft-lbs

Mods:

Engine: Twisted Wedge Heads | TFS Cam | TFS Street Intake
Air and Fuel: 70mm TB | 76mm C&L MAF w/ Intake Pipe
Exhaust: FRPP Shorties | Mac Prochamber | Mac Produmps

Notes:
Ran into some ignition problems that were holding it back due to missing throughout the powerband.
I'm going to run it again once I get those worked out.

A/F ratio was 13.1 at 18 deg timing.

89 Hoss
03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Would you like to sale the cam? E303 that is or do you still have it? I was waiting on you numbers to see what kind of a route i should go. you have the same set up i have from what i hear. looks good and seems to be a strong car keep up the good work.

NightHawk756
03-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Congrats on the new numbers Tracy! :chug:

QWKSNKE
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
are you sure its ignition that is giving you the problems? What was the car doing?

Reason i ask is because that same C&L MAF setup gave Brian the same problems with his car back when he used to run one

Italian LX
03-11-2006, 09:00 PM
are you sure its ignition that is giving you the problems? What was the car doing?

Reason i ask is because that same C&L MAF setup gave Brian the same problems with his car back when he used to run one
Yeah, send me the dyno files and let me look at them. That C&L sometimes wreaked havoc on my A/F and showed up as some funky power curves.

1sicklx
03-11-2006, 09:24 PM
the A/F ratio couldn't have been better it was flat all the way across.

Blake took it as far as 21 degrees and the A/F was still good.

As for the power curve it did have a more straight up>down shape to it and fell off a while before I felt it should, after reaching peak hp it fell off almost instantly ... I would have thought it to be a little flatter between 5000-5400 with this set up but that wasn't the case.

as for what the car was doing, the larger load you put on it via timing the more it missed but again, the A/F was perfect. It seemed as though one cylinder was spuratically missing throughout the pull.

There was some corrosion and grooves worn on the cap of the distributor which Blake felt could be contributing. I haven't checked to see what the plugs are gapped to yep (but they need to be replaced regardless) .. also still running the stock coil.

Jugg2Driver
03-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Very nice numbers Tracy!

uvbnhad
03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
The power would start dropping off at around 4K RPM on every pull. Each time it was dyno-ed, Blake would increase timing the and the curve would go a little higher in terms of power. Seems to be an issue with not enough spark at the upper end. Keep in mind she has a stock coil and old spark plugs that are gapped at who knows what?

1sicklx
03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
The power would start dropping off at around 4K RPM on every pull.

If I'm not crazy it didn't peak on hp until around 4900 and started falling off big time after 5000 ... didn't it? :think:
Each time it was dyno-ed, Blake would increase timing the and the curve would go a little higher in terms of power.

Yeah picked up 18 peak hp just by bumping up the timing :metal: (over 20 hp throughout the powerband)

QWKSNKE
03-12-2006, 06:33 AM
be careful when jacking up timing that high. Some combinations will cost you power. The more you increase base timing the more power you will lose on the top end in these cases. ( fall off quickly)

I would also like to see the graphs. Send them to Brian so he can post them here with notes relating to each pull

slvrbullit
03-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Keep in mind she has a stock coil and old spark plugs that are gapped at who knows what?

If she is running the plugs that were in her stock heads then there is a problem, Trick Flow plugs recommendations:
Spark Plugs:
AC FR3LS
Autolite 3924
Champion RC9YC
NGK-FR5

I hope that is not the case because the plugs for Al. heads have a compression gasket and are not taper fit like a steel head plug is.

Italian LX
03-12-2006, 07:05 AM
I really hope they put new plugs in that thing while they were doing the swap. :doh:

uvbnhad
03-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Don't know. Wasn't there. We can pick up some plugs sometime in the next day or so.

1sicklx
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
be careful when jacking up timing that high. Some combinations will cost you power. The more you increase base timing the more power you will lose on the top end in these cases. ( fall off quickly)

I would also like to see the graphs. Send them to Brian so he can post them here with notes relating to each pull

The power curve was the same regardless of where the timing was at (peaking and falling rapidly)

It gained power all the way across each time the timing was bumped up and the A/F Ratio remained steady, but the powerband was still to round.

Crzypny
03-12-2006, 12:01 PM
If she is running the plugs that were in her stock heads then there is a problem, Trick Flow plugs recommendations:
Spark Plugs:
AC FR3LS
Autolite 3924
Champion RC9YC
NGK-FR5

I hope that is not the case because the plugs for Al. heads have a compression gasket and are not taper fit like a steel head plug is.

Interesting. I wasn't told this, even the info packet that came with the kit said nothing. Thanks Tommy.

tacbear
03-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Nice #'s Tracy:metal: and it was good to finally meet you! Sorry I couldn't stay to watch them Dyno your car.

coupe
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Almost sounds like what my car is doing...still :nono:

I'm to the point where I think it is my C&L meter...it's a load-induced pinging...only when car reaches operating temp.

Italian LX
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Yep, I have been down the C&L route and won't make that mistake again.

1sicklx
03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
What meter would you recommend?

QWKSNKE
03-13-2006, 04:21 AM
I think a Pro-M 80 would work well

Crzypny
03-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Almost sounds like what my car is doing...still :nono:

I'm to the point where I think it is my C&L meter..

Took the C & L MAF off my car this weekend and placed the stock one back on, the missing has subsided.

1sicklx
03-21-2006, 09:46 PM
:yup: the car runs MUCH smoother now and pulls a lot harder too :burnout:

Time to take it to the track :D

I'm interested to see what it pulls the next time it's on the dyno now that the ignition problems have been cleared up to get a better idea of what the true gains of the setup are.