PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding traction control

Blown 5.0
03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Took the Mach to Bama saturday nite, Just wanted to see what it would run on stock Goodyears. One the first run i left the traction control on, was depending on it to control wheel spin, left the line at about 2000 rpm. Blew the tires off, traction lite came on but no power cut back, shifted to second and still spinning, (light was still on). OK shift to third to make it quit spinning,Wrong, now im crossed up mid track in third. had to let completly off to straiten out, ran a 11.00. Second run i run a buddy of mine in a fox body, Left the line at idle started spinning, traction control came on and cut power, shifted to second at about 6000 and broke traction again, traction control light came back on but no power cut, had to let completly off then got back in the gas and all was fine. Ran a 9.30 at 87 mph. Isnt the traction designed to stop wheel spin? What is happening, On the street i cant get it to do no more than bark the tires with the control on. My girlfriends car on or off track will not spin. Is this common with the Mach? Any ideas? Its not really a problem because i didnt buy the car to race, But you all know there will be times when it will see the track.

Skillet
03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Traction Control (http://www.alabamaracingscene.net/Premium/Jag.WMV)

Ponygirl
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
I always turn mine off at the track. It causes me to spin and wheel hop worse than when it is on and I lose time on the takeoff and my Cobra loses power when traction control is on....kinda like the rev limiter.

QWKSNKE
03-13-2006, 05:31 PM
yeah like ponygirl said our cobra will just about make you eat the steering wheel when trac control comes on

Ponygirl
03-13-2006, 05:35 PM
yeah like ponygirl said our cobra will just about make you eat the steering wheel when trac control comes on
Does that mean your Cobra is also "our" Cobra?? :poke: :jester:

DSkeet
03-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I turn my trac control off every time I get in my car unless it's raining. This may sound stupid but I feel like I have more control with it off LOL...

torched04
03-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I turn my trac control off every time I get in my car unless it's raining. This may sound stupid but I feel like I have more control with it off LOL...

:werd:

Greg03Cobra
03-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Trac control sucks ass. I ate the steering wheel a few time because of that shit. But i love trac control in the rain, its a life saver.

CrimsonGT
03-15-2006, 04:37 AM
I had my traction control turned off by my sct tune. it comes on to much.

TheJeanyus
03-15-2006, 05:58 AM
Traction control? What's that? :evil:

RWTD turned mine permanently off. Pushing the button doesn't turn it back on, either. I'm thinking that will make a good button to wire up a line lock. Line locks are sorta like traction control. :D

nxcoupe
03-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Took the Mach to Bama saturday nite, Just wanted to see what it would run on stock Goodyears. One the first run i left the traction control on, was depending on it to control wheel spin, left the line at about 2000 rpm. Blew the tires off, traction lite came on but no power cut back, shifted to second and still spinning, (light was still on). OK shift to third to make it quit spinning,Wrong, now im crossed up mid track in third. had to let completly off to straiten out, ran a 11.00. Second run i run a buddy of mine in a fox body, Left the line at idle started spinning, traction control came on and cut power, shifted to second at about 6000 and broke traction again, traction control light came back on but no power cut, had to let completly off then got back in the gas and all was fine. Ran a 9.30 at 87 mph. Isnt the traction designed to stop wheel spin? What is happening, On the street i cant get it to do no more than bark the tires with the control on. My girlfriends car on or off track will not spin. Is this common with the Mach? Any ideas? Its not really a problem because i didnt buy the car to race, But you all know there will be times when it will see the track.
Would your ABS light happen to be on all the time, or flashing?

TheJeanyus
03-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Something I noticed about mine back when it worked - it doesn't try to stop LOTS of wheel spin. If it's trying to slip just a little, it'll cut the power. If you're roasting the tires off, the light comes on, but it doesn't do anything to try to stop it because it sort of knows it's own limitations.

Blown 5.0
03-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Something I noticed about mine back when it worked - it doesn't try to stop LOTS of wheel spin. If it's trying to slip just a little, it'll cut the power. If you're roasting the tires off, the light comes on, but it doesn't do anything to try to stop it because it sort of knows it's own limitations.
Thanks that was the answer to my question. I didnt know if i had a malfuction or what. But that was my thoughts, its just to much for it to control. Although on my girlfriends car without the power of the 4 valve it can control it. huuum, wonder what it would take to tailor the control to actually work under full power.

Blown 5.0
03-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Would your ABS light happen to be on all the time, or flashing?
No have had the Snap-on scanner on to check all sensors. No wheel sensor problems. Thanks to everyone for the imput

94five0
03-19-2006, 04:41 PM
nope , but if you've done a front brake upgrade. IE cobra rotors or performance setup, you might be slinging the break fluid in the resivour past the sensor when in a brutal stop situation. rode with Christian(m1speed) after his stillen brake upgrade and from a 80 -0, stop the abs light came on briefly.. fluid was normal, brakes a lil warm, but good to see they're werking that well.

Pyah i'm still new to the TRac control..:D had it turned off all the time witht the predator but i think doug's gonna have to turn mine off permenatley. I think..

I forgot to turn mine off the other day and goosed it on a long straight, felt like someone pulled a coil pack..

that green light is NOT a blower light..

joker
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I would leave traction control off, but htat is just me.

On a side note, if you were blowing the tires off leaving at 2k rpms, you need different tires.

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 02:45 AM
that green light is NOT a blower light..

:lol:

Shell and I have joked about that ever since we bought the 01

TheJeanyus
03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks that was the answer to my question. I didnt know if i had a malfuction or what. But that was my thoughts, its just to much for it to control. Although on my girlfriends car without the power of the 4 valve it can control it. huuum, wonder what it would take to tailor the control to actually work under full power.
Even if you could modify the traction control to maximize traction under hard accelleration, you would have to vary the settings from day to day, road surface to road surface, not to mention any modifications to the car. I would imagine that if a system existed that would allow the car to figure out it's own traction limitations and drive on the ragged edge of those limits, it would already be in use by racers in one way or another. There are just far too many variables to make it work.

Sendero
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Even if you could modify the traction control to maximize traction under hard accelleration, you would have to vary the settings from day to day, road surface to road surface, not to mention any modifications to the car. I would imagine that if a system existed that would allow the car to figure out it's own traction limitations and drive on the ragged edge of those limits, it would already be in use by racers in one way or another. There are just far too many variables to make it work.

There is, its called RaceLogic Traction Control (link) (http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control) and its banned from a number of series. When I took a vehicle dynamics course we covered Traction Control and how it works. I too thought it was extremely complex, but in reality you only really monitor wheel slip via sensors (like ABS) versus throttle postition/load. Here is a good article by RaceLogic (link) (http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control-Technical-How_it_Works) on how Traction Control works.

As far as the Mustang Traction Control, it's not "advanced" enough to effectively manage maximum traction. The system is only a safety net to keep you out of the ditch. Because of its low tech nature, it only applies the rear brakes (I don't even think independently) to keep the rear end in line. You still need a system smart enough to modulate power for traction instead of killing momentum.

Blown 5.0
03-23-2006, 06:41 PM
£725
Anybody know what this is in american dollars? The traction control may be worth looking into.I do have a form of traction control on the maverick. It looks at accelaration rate in refernce to engine load. Adjustes timing to remove power. Just think holding one to the floor and leaving as hard as the surface will hold, kinda takes all the fun out dont you think. But you could turn it off. Oh well got to get the Maverick ready first.

Sendero
03-23-2006, 10:01 PM
$1262.37 or 13710.83 Pesos.