PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell in the Trunk

snakebit95
03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
How many SN95 owners are running fuel-cells in the trunk? I'm going to put a 10-gallon cell in the spare tire well, and was wondering if fumes inside the car is ever a problem. I have already replaced my fuel system, and never experience any fumes in the garage; but I figure inside the car might be different since it is a more confined space. Any feedback???

Thanks,
Wayne

coupe
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
You need a "bulkhead" or wall between you and the trunk...in case of fire. Seal it for any fumes too. It's for your own safety as well as sanctioned tracks will check it.

snakebit95
03-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmmm.......the folding back-seats would not be considered a bulkhead?? I knew you had to have a bulkhead in the hatchbacks.......but are you sure about the SN95's? Thanks for the reply!!

Wayne

Craig K.
03-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I believe it is supposed to be sealed in case of a roll over situation.

In my '85, I ran a seal bulkhead around my 22 gallon cell.
When the car sat for a while, the fumes inside were overwelming.
With the windows down and cruising, it wasn't too bad.

qkjuicedpony
03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
my advice is leave the stock tank in it and either sump it or get a drop in pickup.if you do a fuel cell in an sn95 car it still requires a firewall

One_live95
03-17-2006, 08:15 PM
i got an extra tank if you want one to put a sump in it.........

jason

snakebit95
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
my advice is leave the stock tank in it and either sump it or get a drop in pickup.if you do a fuel cell in an sn95 car it still requires a firewall

Thanks for all the feedback. I did some online searching, and YES the fuel cell must be sealed. However, you do not necessarily need a bulkhead according to what I have found. Based on what most racers have commented on other boards, a sealed enclosure covering the fuel cell is adequate to pass inspection.

Jason,
I appreciate the offer on the tank. I already have a sumped tank, and am not too happy with how low the pump hangs on my lowered car. The pump has to be mounted at least as low as the sump for it to maintain a good prime. Pumps and filters hanging from the back bumper looks a bit "ghetto" to me. Moving the tank higher is the most logical step in my mind, and will allow me to mount the pump and filter above the bumper support. It will also make working under the rear of the car much easier too.

qkjuicedpony
03-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I did some online searching, and YES the fuel cell must be sealed. However, you do not necessarily need a bulkhead according to what I have found. Based on what most racers have commented on other boards, a sealed enclosure covering the fuel cell is adequate to pass inspection.

Jason,
I appreciate the offer on the tank. I already have a sumped tank, and am not too happy with how low the pump hangs on my lowered car. The pump has to be mounted at least as low as the sump for it to maintain a good prime. Pumps and filters hanging from the back bumper looks a bit "ghetto" to me. Moving the tank higher is the most logical step in my mind, and will allow me to mount the pump and filter above the bumper support. It will also make working under the rear of the car much easier too.

you can mount your pump to the front side of the tank and it will work fine with the sump