PDA

View Full Version : Look what SPEC did for me.

ERStettin
03-19-2006, 12:16 PM
After I pulled the engine to have Loren (my engine builder) go through it, I decided to have my clutch stuff looked at too. I have a lightweight SPEC pressure plate (rebuildable and aluminum), a SPEC stage 3 clutch and a Fidanza lightweight flywheel. I called SPEC and talked with Matt. He convinced me to send it all down to him and they would look it over and fix things up for me.

Everyone knows what a year old clutch setup looks like after you beat the piss out of it. I pulled everything and sent it down to SPEC and this is what they sent back to me. I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was just replacements for my old stuff but it was actually my original components reworked. The stuff looks brand new! Anyways, I thought I would post this for those with SPEC clutches that want to get their stuff rebuilt. They do a GREAT job and are able to rebuild everything to like new. I can’t wait to get the engine back and start running the car again.

I also bought a LSM on head valve spring tester from Jon Kaase. I thought I would post a good picture of it here for those that care….lol.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ERStettin/IMG_0908.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ERStettin/IMG_0909.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ERStettin/IMG_0910.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ERStettin/IMG_0912.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ERStettin/IMG_0913.jpg

86GT
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Looks good!

I have the same clutch (483 stage 3) and it chatters a bit. I was told by Spec that this is normal because of the kevlar. That is not what I wanted to hear. He told me that the stage one would not chatter but obviously it would not hold up under 400 hp.

ERStettin
03-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Clint, good to see you! The car is running great. Thanks for all that initial tuning help. I got the car down to a 10.75 @ 126+ at 3317 lbs. It is running great.

Maybe you ought to try the SPEC stage 2+ clutch. I bet that would hold 400 hp. Maybe Matt can chime in here.

Good to see you Clint.

Ed Stettin

86GT
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
It been a while, but glad to see you made it over to this fourm. Wow 10.75, that is awsome.

I believe the spec two is right at the verge of the 400hp.

ERStettin
03-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I meant to put the Stage 2 + in there Clint. I have gone back and edited that post.

86GT
03-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Yah I looked at that too. They are both made out of Kevlar.

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 02:51 AM
I installed a 2+ in my cobra last weekend. I am interested to see how it holds up once I get the break in miles on it

1Quik85GT
03-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Lee

I would have thought you would need a stage 3 in your car??? Thats what I have, and I should be testing it out at the track this Sunday when I get back from Memphis,TN

coupe
03-20-2006, 09:08 AM
The 2 is straight-up Kevlar...both sides. The 3 is the 6-puck and those pads are a ceramic-metallic matrix. The 2+ is a 2 on the flywheel side and a 3 on the pressure plate side...not quite the capacity of a 3, but nicer drivability.

The first thing you'll notice with a SPEC is the quick-release/quick-engage pressure plate...it gives a very nice crisp feel to the clutch. And the clamp loads (force holding the compnents together) are the best in the industry.

Anyways, glad to help Ed. One thing to clarify: SPEC used to sell fidanzas, but we make your own now...supply couldn't be met with Fidanza...we sold more of their own than they did. We still carry their stuff for a few of the less-popular applications. But all our mustang, camaro, vette, VW, Audi, etc...is made in-house...CNC'd billet. :nice:

ERStettin
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Anyways, glad to help Ed. One thing to clarify: SPEC used to sell fidanzas, but we make your own now...supply couldn't be met with Fidanza...we sold more of their own than they did. We still carry their stuff for a few of the less-popular applications. But all our mustang, camaro, vette, VW, Audi, etc...is made in-house...CNC'd billet. :nice:

I will change this in my initial post Matt. Thanks for the clarification.

DSkeet
03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Matt hooked me up good. I got the SPEC Stage III clutch and the flywheel for my '02 GT. Grabs AWESOME and spins up alot faster as well. I will admit I had to get used to the quick engagement at first but it's not as bad as people think once you get used to it. Hell I drive the car once maybe twice a week at the most so it isn't that big of a deal. The chatter doesn't bother me, won't hear it much when this D1 is done!

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
All these people that got the hook up from Matt and I had to go through Pro Speed to get mine :think:

coupe
03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
:think: Sorry for not getting back with you...I would've jumped on it had I known you were ready. :yup:
Hopefully Jeff gave you a good deal too. :nice:
Break it in good. What flywheel did you put clutch on?

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
stock flywheel

93Cobra#2771
03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for sharing, Ed. Setup looks AWESOME.

coupe
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
stock flywheel
Was it re-surfaced? I ask because the Kevlar side of that disk rides on the flywheel...Kevlar is very picky about the flatness for proper break-in.

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I did by hand :D

DSkeet
03-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Mine is about 200 miles from breakin, snatches hard as hell!

coupe
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I did by hand :D

:nono: What you do in your personal time is between you and your hand.

:huh:

:banned:

ERStettin
03-20-2006, 02:48 PM
:nono: What you do in your personal time is between you and your hand.

:huh:

:banned:

:lol:

mustangmuscle
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok....please educate the ignorant--->me

Why do clutches "chatter"?
And, does it cause damage when it occurs?

Thanks!

TheJeanyus
03-21-2006, 12:43 PM
I believe it's actually the throw out bearing chattering. My stock clutch does it, and it's getting worse and worse.

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I believe it's actually the throw out bearing chattering.
No, it has to do with the friction material and it's ability to 'grab' better. I would imagine it's similar to why some high performance brake pads squeal real bad during low-speed braking.

mustangmuscle
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I believe it's actually the throw out bearing chattering. My stock clutch does it, and it's getting worse and worse.

Ok.....I know our cars have tob issues, but....

i hear guys with brand new set-ups (clutch, pp, tob, etc.) saying stuff like "yeah the clutch really grabs, but chatters alot".....???

TheJeanyus
03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Meh, I'm sure I couldn't here it over my exhaust anyway. :D

coupe
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
The friction material is "sticky" and when the pressure plate "clamps" on it, everything wants to grab and hold...if you're softly trying to engage a very high-performance clutch, it wants to grab, then slip, grab, slip, etc...until you dump it and it holds. That grab/slip condition is the chatter, basically bouncing the friction material off the surfaces.

Think of it like this: push down hard on a book and slide it across table...it's smooth. Not very good friction coefficient. Now, push and slide your hand...it sometimes does this "chatter." Next, do three fingers while pushing hard... they really dont slide well. This is the theory behind a "puck-style" disk. Smaller area but same force makes very high pressure...but it can be "chattery."

86GT
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM
This is exactly what I was told. Good explanation. I have the stage 3 clutch and it does chatter when I try to let the clutch out lightly for a smooth take off. It takes time to get use to, but if I start to feather the clutch and then drop it, it seems to not chatter as mutch.

I originally thought that something was wrong too. I have put in many clutches but none of this torque rating. I resurfaced the flywheel and everthing. I was just expecting a factory clutch feel with better performance.

You have to give something to get something.

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
You have to give something to get something.
:werd:

I'm now trying to get used to this noisy TKO. :D

86GT
03-21-2006, 03:43 PM

I'm now trying to get used to this noisy TKO. :D

Mine is not noisy. It is just as quite as the stock T5. It just has a stronger neutral return spring.

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Mine is not noisy. It is just as quite as the stock T5. It just has a stronger neutral return spring.
Mine emits a whine in 5th gear above 2400RPM. It also sounds awful when idling in neutral... almost as if Dale stashed some of his walnuts in it. :D

86GT
03-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
So, now you're say that it is noisy? :think:

. . . make up your mind, Clint! :D

86GT
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
no I am saying that it is weird that your trans is making noise and mine is not. Although my clutch is chattering.

ERStettin
03-21-2006, 04:45 PM
WE HAVE A BREAK IN THE ACTION FOR THIS COMMERCIAL

Clint, I have a friend named Tom Vantassel who is going to e-mail you for a EEC Analyzer. Just want to make sure you get it. Thanks. :metal: :metal: :metal:

COMMERCIAL BREAK OVER

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 06:14 PM
no I am saying that it is weird that your trans is making noise and mine is not. Although my clutch is chattering.
:think:

That smiley is not "weird"... it's "werd" meaning you agree with the other person. :yup:

mustangmuscle
03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks alot for the great explanation!

So, is this "chatter" harmful to the clutch assembly?

Also, been reading about different clutches. One in paticular, claiming to be "the finest clutch", and "guaranteed to never chatter", and so on.....
Is it possible to have a high performance clutch, with high clamp loads to handle high HP, light pedal, smooth engagement, and no chatter?

Thanks!
Chris

ERStettin
03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks alot for the great explanation!

So, is this "chatter" harmful to the clutch assembly?

Also, been reading about different clutches. One in paticular, claiming to be "the finest clutch", and "guaranteed to never chatter", and so on.....
Is it possible to have a high performance clutch, with high clamp loads to handle high HP, light pedal, smooth engagement, and no chatter?

Thanks!
Chris

Yeah it is actually. For me, it is the SPEC stage 3. I have run the Fords and Centerforces and they all sucked compared to SPEC. You just need to get used to it. They are the best in my opinion....period. Just my .02 ;)

86GT
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
:think:

That smiley is not "weird"... it's "werd" meaning you agree with the other person. :yup:

Thanks now the whole world knows that I can not read. LOL

That sure was a big commercial. I got the message. I will look for the E-mail.

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks now the whole world knows that I can not read. LOL
Don't worry, you aren't the first person that mis-read that smiley. ;)

mustangmuscle
03-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Yeah it is actually. For me, it is the SPEC stage 3. I have run the Fords and Centerforces and they all sucked compared to SPEC. You just need to get used to it. They are the best in my opinion....period. Just my .02 ;)

Thanks for the info and your $0.02:chug:

coupe
03-22-2006, 06:59 AM
The SPEC 3+ is very drivable...holds an honest 750-800 hp...
It's pricey, but it's very impressive.

First car I saw slipping the 3+ was a T76 LS1 last year, made 780/810...and it would only slip it a little in 3rd & 4th. He went to a 5. The 3+ material has changed a little since then...should do better.