PDA

View Full Version : hoods

Shorty
03-20-2006, 01:55 PM
hopefully the house will be selling soon and i plan to use a little of the money to get a new hood for the car. i know Cervini's is a popular name brand. has anyone seen the cobra R hood on a fox....opinions. i want something i a little different than the standard cowl hood (but will use it if need be). also found this one on Hardcore Stangs, not sure of the quality, fitment or even how it would look on a Fox. just looking for some opinions please. :nice:

http://www.hardcorestangs.com/images/99mach2hood.jpg

Italian LX
03-20-2006, 02:11 PM
IMO, the Cobra R hood looks like crap on a fox-body; it just doesn't match the lines of the body style.

uvbnhad
03-20-2006, 02:13 PM
The only hoods I like on Foxes are the stock hoods and Cervini cowls. Cobra R looks like puke on Foxes too.

Shorty
03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
IMO, the Cobra R hood looks like crap on a fox-body; it just doesn't match the lines of the body style.

pretty well what i was thinking, but never hurts to get another opinion. any where you can pick up a hood at without having to pay the $110 frieght charge.

Italian LX
03-20-2006, 02:28 PM
any where you can pick up a hood at without having to pay the $110 frieght charge.
Maybe Mustangs Unlimited over in Georgia? :shrug:

QWKSNKE
03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I like my cowl or a stock hood best.

redhorse
03-20-2006, 03:25 PM
The only hoods I like on Foxes are the stock hoods and Cervini cowls. Cobra R looks like puke on Foxes too.

Well, just tell us how you really feel there now buddy. Don't be holding nothing back.

Crzypny
03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
any where you can pick up a hood at without having to pay the $110 frieght charge.

Try Seco in downtown B'ham. I know they used to have hoods in stock.

redhorse
03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
All kidding aside, I like the look of the smaller cowl hoods.

TheJeanyus
03-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I like my cowl...
:werd: That hood is perfect. :drool:

Shorty
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM

:agree: just wanted to entertain a different idea. although hard to imagine anything better on a Fox. a hood should set the car off right nice. ;)

ncontt
03-20-2006, 10:11 PM
try to catch some of the vendors at a MAJOR ford show....FFW, NMRA etc. and you can usually pick one up for cheap....just an eyedeer ;)

1Quik85GT
03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Why dont you go to Commerce for the FFW, they usually have some hoods there, and some are marked down too

QWKSNKE
03-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Why dont you go to Commerce for the FFW, they usually have some hoods there, and some are marked down too

:werd:

Buy Cervini only. I have owned the 'other' brand hoods and they suck!

Your body man will thank you for it

EZ SPEED
03-21-2006, 04:52 AM
The only hoods I like on Foxes are the stock hoods and Cervini cowls.

Buy Cervini only. I have owned the 'other' brand hoods and they suck!

Your body man will thank you for it

Cervinis cowl or stock :chug:

Italian LX
03-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Yeah, and if you are Military, then Cincinnati Composites will "knock fifty dollars of the price of the hood."

:D

rtusnake
03-21-2006, 10:50 AM
My h.o fibertrends hood fits really well and is good quality. Think that is the name

Shorty
03-21-2006, 07:36 PM

i guess i could take the ranger up there and pic one up. probably be the best route to take.

NightHawk756
03-22-2006, 03:59 PM
My h.o fibertrends hood fits really well and is good quality. Think that is the name

There are other companies aside from Cervini that make good quality hoods too. Like H.O. Fibertrends....that's the hood I have on mine and it's a quality piece. Heck, it better be, they are the ones that made the stock '95 R hoods. :D

rtusnake
03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Hardwood is the only other hood I have seen that has a good quality hood but it was a bolt on one. I have heard their pin on hoods aren't the best. I've had cervini, ho, and hardwood and the hardwood was the best quality hood i've seen. Also have had the crappy cinci composites hood as well.

94five0
03-22-2006, 04:59 PM
ABC exclusive..

nah jus kidding, i would not wish that type of aggravation upon my worst enemy..

Purple1995Pony
03-22-2006, 05:30 PM

:agree:

QWKSNKE
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
, and the hardwood was the best quality hood i've seen. ll.

They must have changed the mold between our hoods. The hardwood cowl I had wasn't a tenth in quality compared to the cervini. It was a single layer, fitment was horrible. The thing would bend if you looked at it wrong. I was very disappointed. I also have bought an American Design (or something like that) ram air hood on one of my other stangs in the past. Kept cracking around the ram air inlets. (found out after the fact that this was very common)

Shorty
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
i will be getting one at FFW. me and kim will be coming up for that saturday.

rtusnake
03-22-2006, 10:16 PM
They must have changed the mold between our hoods. The hardwood cowl I had wasn't a tenth in quality compared to the cervini. It was a single layer, fitment was horrible. The thing would bend if you looked at it wrong. I was very disappointed. I also have bought an American Design (or something like that) ram air hood on one of my other stangs in the past. Kept cracking around the ram air inlets. (found out after the fact that this was very common)
I'm not sure but it was for a 94 up car. It was the best quality hood I had seen in awhile and did no prep work to it, just scuffed and painted

QWKSNKE
03-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm not sure but it was for a 94 up car. It was the best quality hood I had seen in awhile and did no prep work to it, just scuffed and painted

I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference but mine was on a fox

EZ SPEED
03-23-2006, 02:54 AM
I had a couple of harwood hoods, they were nice, but they dont even compare to the Cervinis hoods :nice:

slvrbullit
03-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Try Seco in downtown B'ham. I know they used to have hoods in stock.

Seco sells Harwood hoods and their quality is just as good as Cervini's and the prices are about the same, plus you would not have to pay the freight shipping.

coupe
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
HO-Fibertrends is the best hood in the business. SVT thought so too...

There's a neat story behind how they presented their stuff to Ford to get the '95 Cobra R contract...
Ford had an event for landing the contract...had Cervini, Harwood, all the big names. The guy from HO basically showed up for a short-period of time, left his demonstration hood there with a stack of business cards...totally did not get involved in the sales pitch or anything. He got the job.

1sicklx
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
HO-Fibertrends is the best hood in the business.

QWKSNKE
03-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Just checked out the ho fibretrend website (since I had never heard of them) Such a shame that like the other companies, they forgot to finish underneath the hood.

Opening the hood and not seeing a smooth finish = :notnice:

This is purely my opinion though. I have never used this brand's products so I will not comment on quality, fit, etc. The underside finish is what will keep me going back to Cervini from now on

Shorty
03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Lee what is height of your cowl?

QWKSNKE
03-24-2006, 03:00 AM
I think its a 2.5"

coupe
03-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Just checked out the ho fibretrend website...

Hmm. :think: maybe they have some cheap ones? :shrug:
The ones I've seen were beautiful...And Lee, they make an SVO Fiberglass hood that is modeled exactly like the stocker, offset scoop, holds the rubber seal, looks nearly identical. Sweet piece.
Saw one once at a shop in Odenville.:hiding:

NightHawk756
03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Just checked out the ho fibretrend website (since I had never heard of them) Such a shame that like the other companies, they forgot to finish underneath the hood.

Opening the hood and not seeing a smooth finish = :notnice:

This is purely my opinion though. I have never used this brand's products so I will not comment on quality, fit, etc. The underside finish is what will keep me going back to Cervini from now on

Well, I don't think they "forgot" to finish the underside. Most companies don't because of the weight savings. Now don't get me wrong, I like the smooth underhood of Cervini's, but not so much that I have to have it. Just differing opinions I guess.

94five0
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
yea, i like the fibertrends retains the factory hood lock, not having to worry about installing hood pins/cables is nice.

Italian LX
03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
yea, i like the fibertrends retains the factory hood lock, not having to worry about installing hood pins/cables is nice.
I wasn't aware that any aftermarket hinged hoods required using hood pins. :think:

I know the Cervini uses the stock latch, and I would assume that most of the other would also.

1sicklx
03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
I don't know the specifics of any one aftermarket company, but I know some "recommend" using hood pins on there hinged hoods even though they come with a latch :shrug: wonder if some have had problems with hoods flying up. :think:

NightHawk756
03-26-2006, 05:05 AM
I don't know the specifics of any one aftermarket company, but I know some "recommend" using hood pins on there hinged hoods even though they come with a latch :shrug: wonder if some have had problems with hoods flying up. :think:

Well, I've heard of some problems in the past with Cervini's hoods flying up due to a bad stock hood latch design. That's why Fibertrends actually puts an actual metal plate in the fiberglass for the latching area. But, Cervini's may have addressed that problem. I don't know.

But yeah, I have seen other companies "recommend" hood pins even on their bolt on hoods. Probably for the same reasons Cervini's was having, a weak latching area.

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Well, I've heard of some problems in the past with Cervini's hoods flying up due to a bad stock hood latch design. That's why Fibertrends actually puts an actual metal plate in the fiberglass for the latching area. But, Cervini's may have addressed that problem. I don't know.

But yeah, I have seen other companies "recommend" hood pins even on their bolt on hoods. Probably for the same reasons Cervini's was having, a weak latching area.

I had to use hood pins on other aftermarket hoods but not my Cervini. Reason I had to use them was because of hood shake when going over 50 mph. This is my biggest issue with the non finished or single layer hoods. They are significantly weaker and have no support to them.

NightHawk756
03-26-2006, 11:05 AM
I had to use hood pins on other aftermarket hoods but not my Cervini. Reason I had to use them was because of hood shake when going over 50 mph. This is my biggest issue with the non finished or single layer hoods. They are significantly weaker and have no support to them.

Hmmm, mine doesn't budge at all at high speeds. Must have been the brand you were using I guess.

rtusnake
03-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Hmmm, mine doesn't budge at all at high speeds. Must have been the brand you were using I guess.
Thought it would have to run in order for this:jester:

Mine h.o. hood moves a good bit but latches really well. It is really thing but it fits really well for an aftermarket hood

TheJeanyus
03-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Thought it would have to run in order for this:jester:

:owned:

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Thought it would have to run in order for this:jester: :slap: It had the hood on it prior to going down for the transplant! :kick:

Although, I only got it up to 70-80 so "high speeds" may not be the right word. But definately tested way higher than 50mph as Lee was referring to.

Italian LX
03-27-2006, 05:04 AM
I like the smooth underhood of Cervini's, but not so much that I have to have it. Just differing opinions I guess.
You had every hole in your engine bay welded and smoothed over. . . but the underside of your hood looking like crap doesn't matter to you? :think:

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 05:08 AM
You had every hole in your engine bay welded and smoothed over. . . but the underside of your hood looking like crap doesn't matter to you? :think:

Well, apparently that's simple opinion. I hardly ever pay attention to the underside of the hood when a hood is raised on a car. The attention almost ALWAYS goes straight to the engine/engine bay. So NO, to answer your question, I don't place a whole lot of importance on the underside of the hood. AND i don't think it looks like CRAP as you call it either. It doesn't look any worse than a stock hoods underlining to me.;)

Italian LX
03-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Okay, so maybe the "looking like crap" part was a little harsh. I would just think that a smooth hood would compliment a smooth engine compartment. Sure, people may look straight at the engine, but they still notice the underside of the hood whether they conciously look at it or not.

I guess that's just my opinion. . . but that doesn't matter when it's your car. :D

EZ SPEED
03-27-2006, 06:34 AM
IMHO.... I think the underside of the hood should look as good as the outside, thats why I ground off the Cervinis logo from underneath.
And Bubba spent alot of time making the hood look just as perfect as the outside when it got repainted this past week. Wish I had took a pic of the underside ;)

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
IMHO....

Yep, that's what this has turned into. A discussion about everyone's opinion's.:jester:

Italian LX
03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Yep, that's what this has turned into. A discussion about everyone's opinion's.:jester:
No, it always was an opinions thread -- Shorty asked for them, and we all are giving them.

. . . just looking for some opinions please. :nice:

So, don't try to say this has turned to something it wasn't intended to be. :P

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 01:54 PM
No, it always was an opinions thread -- Shorty asked for them, and we all are giving them.

Yes, your right.....but it was opinions on what "style" hood and quality and fitment issues that he asked for. And as far as fitment and quality goes, that's more experience than opinion. It was going along that route until the whole "underhood smooth or not smooth" debate came up.

But, I was only making a joke about how the thread turned into a "to smooth or not to smooth, that's the question" thread. Hence the smiley. I think everyone here knows that when I'm not joking around, I DON'T use smileys to hide a more serious post like some do.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes, your right.....but it was opinions on what "style" hood and quality and fitment issues that he asked for. And as far as fitment and quality goes, that's more experience than opinion. It was going along that route until the whole "underhood smooth or not smooth" debate came up.

That was my fault :wave:

I feel strongly about my cervini because of the fact it came off another car. Not new and fit perfect. The quality i have experienced in other brand hoods you could not have swapped them from car to car because of what was done to make them fit on the original car.

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts though, this is my experience on fox bodies and i have not used a h.o fibertrends.

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
That was my fault :wave:

To me, no one is at fault. Because it's not a bad thing that it went that way. I was just making a joke that it did. But, I find myself having to explain myself........again.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2006, 06:29 PM
To me, no one is at fault. Because it's not a bad thing that it went that way. I was just making a joke that it did. But, I find myself having to explain myself........again.

nah you didn't have to. I didn't mean anything by it

NightHawk756
03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
nah you didn't have to. I didn't mean anything by it

Nope, I meant in response to Brian.

94five0
03-27-2006, 07:48 PM
i forgot which one 95gtman(brandon) had on 95.. it flew up while goin down the interstate one day, did some nice damage to the roof and window i recall... but he had cables and hood pins installed afterwords..

the fibertrends is what i'd go with.. i'd get one of there bumpers for my 94 if they made it.. and if its O.E equipment on a factory race car then I think it can handle what I throw at it..

1sicklx
03-27-2006, 08:43 PM
To me, no one is at fault.

:qkjuiced:

Shorty
03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
all this and the latest news is that i have decided to use my alloted amount of equity money to get a few Dragon Run mods in stead of more :bling: but this info will still be put to use in the future i am sure. who knows once i get the cash i may spend more than i intend too. :bang:

rtusnake
03-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I love the way your car looks now, I would leave the outside alone. Btw my cinci composite hood flew up on my gt when I had it.

TheJeanyus
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I love the way your car looks now...

The ONLY thing I would do to the exterior of that car would be a cowl hood, yet the stock one looks great. The color combination, the wheels, the stance, and the tint are perfect IMO.

Shorty
03-29-2006, 06:01 PM
:roses: i will be getting a hood but the car just seemed slow the other day. :evil: