PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

One_live95
03-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Well since i have been driving the car more lately than in the past couple of years. I have noticed something with the new stat? i just put in, or maybe something else causing it .

When the car is up to temp, i have a fast clicking sound every once in a while , and the coolant in the radiator starts to act funny, pushes water out sometimes, and other times the upper radiator hose sucks together when you give it a little throttle..... I have a new thermostat, water pump was replaced around a year ago with a ford unit, fluidyne radiator etc. The sound i am hearing sounds like a thermostat when opening or closing, but faster like it is doing it fast or somehting..... any ideas. Car isn't overheating based on the autometer gauge stays areound 205* Could the new stat be bad.

jason

slvrbullit
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Sounds to me like you have a huge air pocket trapped in the t-stat area. You need to burp the system via the coolant temp sensor. Just loosen it a little and let coolant ooze until no more air comes out.

One_live95
03-24-2006, 05:05 PM
i drilled a small burp hole in the thermostat...............i was adviced that this would keep that from happening.......i will try what you said though...would it do that if i installed it backwards?? its possible.

jason

LeeH
03-24-2006, 11:45 PM
i drilled a small burp hole in the thermostat...............i was adviced that this would keep that from happening.......i will try what you said though...would it do that if i installed it backwards?? its possible.

jason

Most of the time you hear noise in a cooling system you either have air trapped in the block or your not circulating coolant, The collapse of the upper hose can be due to lack of coolant flow or a bad hose. Hook a gauge to the cooling system(in the block drains or intake) and check coolant pressure, At idle expect about 3 psi with a max of about 23 psi at about 4k. If you dont have this then your not moving coolant. Also check the delta T(temp differential) between the water pump inlet and the Tstat housing, You should see about 9-13* differential. If temp diff is far apart then you have a flow issue, If diff is close together then you have a capacity issue. Flow could be water pump, t-stat, blockage somewhere etc. Capacity could be stopped up radiator core(both internal and external), Your not exchanging the heat from your medium(coolant) to the outside air. I would be willing to bet that you are moving little to no coolant through your cooling system, An absence of cooling system pressure will cause the upper hose to collapse especially if there is a blockage. Check to see of your spinning your water pump the right direction, You could be turning it backwards which will move very little water and could lead to cavitation errosion problems.

One_live95
03-25-2006, 09:07 AM
standing in front of the engine which way should the water pump rotate? Also that is some very good info and things to check for, i appreciate the technical reply and will be going down the list you mentioned. I have had my fluidyne for around 3 years, i think i will pull it and have it flushed at the radiator shop

jason

slvrbullit
03-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Looking at the front of the engine the pump should rotate coutnter clock wise. Jus tmake sure the the smooth side of the belt is the area that is on the waterpump pulley. If not then you are turning it the wrong way.

One_live95
03-25-2006, 10:46 AM
well yeah i have it on the right side, i was wondering how i could be turning it the wrong way...

not really giving me any trouble now though.... I put more water/coolant in it yest. and it's fin right now..... I think my radiator is leaking. There is some rusty looking spots on it, and its aluminum...lol

jason

LeeH
03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
well yeah i have it on the right side, i was wondering how i could be turning it the wrong way...

not really giving me any trouble now though.... I put more water/coolant in it yest. and it's fin right now..... I think my radiator is leaking. There is some rusty looking spots on it, and its aluminum...lol

jason

I have seen people route belts incorrectly and also install the wrong water pump, All non serpentine belt driven pumps turn the opposite direction. Soo keep that in mind also if you change pumps at some point.

One_live95
03-26-2006, 01:59 PM
cool deal.... I inspected everywhere for leaks today w/o the car up to temp.. I then brought it up to temp, put the front on ramps to elevate the radiator fill. And i was letting it idle ciculate etc. i had been losing water, i figured out i had a leak on bottom of the thermostat housing, but only at full temp press. i guess.

anyhow i am in the midst of replacing the therm., gask., etc. as well as a new radiator hose.

could this be the problem i am having, letting air into the system

jason

One_live95
03-26-2006, 03:33 PM
well after about an hour drive i seemed to have no more problems.... replaced the above, plus burped the system as it seemed to have had a pocket in it....

hopefully this fixed it.....

jason

LeeH
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Cool, You get air trapped and sometimes it wont bleed out of the cooling system. I bleed the system at the sensor, If your gonna bleed it thats about the best place. I have had engines do this to me that hold 200 gallons, At 55 gallons they showed to be full when they actually had little to none in the engine.

One_live95
03-28-2006, 12:55 AM
good info thanks for the help.......

jason

ncontt
03-28-2006, 05:27 AM
well after about an hour drive i seemed to have no more problems.... replaced the above, plus burped the system as it seemed to have had a pocket in it....

hopefully this fixed it.....

jason

keep an eye on it for the next week or so...I replaced a head gasket in one of my stangs once and it "seemed" fine for about a week, then BAM one day the temp gauge was PEGGED...scared the crap outta me. finally worked a pocket loose I guess...but I topped it off and then it was fine..

One_live95
03-28-2006, 12:58 PM
i've been watching it close.... I can't afford to mess up my new heads to be honest...

jason