PDA

View Full Version : Header recommendations???

DSkeet
03-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I think instead of changing my exhaust at the moment I am going to go ahead and get some headers since I have the restrictive stock ones still. What all do you people like???

97cobrasvt
03-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I would suggest BBK long tube headers . Yes they might be a little harder to put on but to me there worth it. Thats what I have on my cobra:metal:

Wall96cobra
03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Actually the stock manifolds are not that restrictive. They are a pain in the ass to install also. I wouldn't worry about it until you do a forged motor, you'll have the ability to make more than enough power to kill the stock short block with the stock manifolds.

Italian LX
03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Actually the stock manifolds are not that restrictive. They are a pain in the ass to install also. I wouldn't worry about it until you do a forged motor, you'll have the ability to make more than enough power to kill the stock short block with the stock manifolds.
:werd:

I would have to agree with Jonathan. :yup:

1sicklx
03-25-2006, 06:56 PM
:shrug: i went with Mac LT's on the 03 but never put it on the dyno to see what kind of gains they made.

ChipR4cam
03-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Yeah, headers are a huge PITA. Brian, Jonathan, Lee, and I took like 6 hours to do FRPP shortys one my car.:banghead:

I wouldn't do it until the motor is out.

EZ SPEED
03-26-2006, 02:56 AM

:werd: I agree with Jonathon and Brian :chug:

1sicklx
03-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't do it until the motor is out.

:werd:

asilver2001gt
03-26-2006, 07:01 PM
headers on a 4.6 are a ****ing nightmare...kooks are the best but they are high dollar. if you want to stay with shorty's, jba makes great power but again the power gains are not worth the headache at this point.

broke
03-26-2006, 07:57 PM
03 cobra's are only picking up a average of 15-20whp, at most, some others less. Im not even worrying about them till I yank the motor, not worth my time.

If i were to get some, MAC has really changed their quality up some especially with their longtubes, alot of 03/04 owners run their setup and are really impressed.

475HP '03 cobra
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
BBK shortys i would say long tubes but they're such a pain in the ass if you have to swap a clutch, my dad runs BBK longs on his Terminator

TheJeanyus
03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I would not go through the PITA of a header install and only do shorty headers.

My goal is to one day do long tubes (not sure what brand) and a tubular K member together.

rtusnake
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Believe I'm going to do longtubes on mine while I have the k member out. Going with bbk on mine. They were a good header imo, and also helps get some heat out.

475HP '03 cobra
03-30-2006, 04:25 PM
how come everyone is so sold on going long tube, are the power gains really that much more significant than shortys?

TheJeanyus
03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
how come everyone is so sold on going long tube, are the power gains really that much more significant than shortys?
Yes. Shorties don't really do much on a 4.6. 20 rwhp at the most on a 500 hp blown engine just isn't worth the cost and trouble IMO. The gains are even smaller for NA motors. The stock manifolds are a lot better than the old 5.0 manifolds.

If you're going through all the trouble to do it, do long tubes. Yeah it might be marginally more difficult to put a clutch in, but it's not like you put a clutch in every morning before work.

Italian LX
03-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah it might be marginally more difficult to put a clutch in. . . .
:lol: . . . marginally. . . :rofl:

TheJeanyus
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
:lol: . . . marginally. . . :rofl:
You don't seem to have a problem with yours, bitch hands. :shrug:

475HP '03 cobra
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Yes. Shorties don't really do much on a 4.6. 20 rwhp at the most on a 500 hp blown engine just isn't worth the cost and trouble IMO. The gains are even smaller for NA motors. The stock manifolds are a lot better than the old 5.0 manifolds.

If you're going through all the trouble to do it, do long tubes. Yeah it might be marginally more difficult to put a clutch in, but it's not like you put a clutch in every morning before work.

yeah i wasnt sure, considering im more of a small block pushrod guy. i know that my dad has them on his terminator and he saw quite a little jump but when he had to replace his clutch, he wasnt a very happy long tube owner haha

nxcoupe
04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I am a MAC long tube header fan here. I have put on MAC, Hooker, BBK, and Bassani mid lengths. The MAC's were the easiest to put on by far. Get the ceramic coated ones, for the little extra they cost, it is really worth it in longevity of the looks/header pipes. The Bassani mid lengths work really well too, but not as easy to put on as the MACs IMHO.
when you do long tubes, it is ESSENTIAL that you get a tune with the install. We saw marginal improvements in hp until the car was tuned, then we saw more along the lines of what was anticipated from the headers and exhaust. We changed the O2 sampling delay, and a few other things to get the tune on track.

Italian LX
04-05-2006, 11:53 AM
You don't seem to have a problem with yours, bitch hands. :shrug:
There is a big difference between the pushrod and mod-motor installation of headers.... try them both some day and let me know what you think. ;)

hioc1098
05-01-2006, 05:59 AM
There is a big difference between the pushrod and mod-motor installation of headers.... try them both some day and let me know what you think. ;)

Definitely. I helped change a buddy's longtubes on his 89 yesterday. With both of us working on each side, we were finished in a little over an hour. I've never been able to get under 4 hours on a mod motor.

That being said, I'm going to be putting some on mine in the near future.