PDA

View Full Version : Lm-1 to Tweecer hookup

QWKSNKE
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Ok, tried to use the LM-1 with the Tweecer today and was unsuccessful.

Italian has the Lm-1 going through the data q and from there to a serial to usb adapter (I borrowed from a coworker the other day) and then to the laptop. I have the setup tab in Calcon setup to read the wb.

My problem is that I am logging either incorrect readings or none at all in Calcon.

What am I doing wrong?

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
ok. I have figured out (thanks to Dale) that I have to use the WB editor in EEC analyzer to do some changes.

Clint the basic innovate.dbf file is on a 1-2 volt scale. How do I change this to a 0-5v scale

Dale McPeters
03-26-2006, 03:22 PM
In EA use a multiplier of 0.92 on the curve and see if it will make Calcon match the Innovative display (if the numbers you gave me are correct). :jester:

:popcorn:

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 03:48 PM
no. I couldn't figure out how to multiply the numbers by .92 using the lean/ rich button in EA. I tried using the lean/rich button both ways using various percentages and it made no difference whatsoever in the Calcon readings.

I am aggravated and tired of fooling with trying to get that dumbass calcon software to log the freaking wideband.
Guess I am going to figure out how to log rpm's or MAF voltage into the LM-1 software and tune the car that way.

Blown 5.0
03-26-2006, 06:38 PM
This may be a dumb question, But why not run the car off the wide band O2 using the lm-1? I have personally not hooked one up this way but i do know the lm-1 has the power to simulate the voltage a narrow band produces. I do use the rpm signal through my lm-1. I use the auxlliary box for this, which also has 6 chanell imput for things like a maf voltage reading.

Italian LX
03-26-2006, 07:09 PM
This may be a dumb question, But why not run the car off the wide band O2 using the lm-1?
I remember reading about this a while back on the TwEECer forum, but I think the results are not good. Even though it simulates the analog out of the narrow band, it apparently still confuses the ECU in some way. :shrug:

Either way, that would not solve what Lee wanted to do anyway.

86GT
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
no. I couldn't figure out how to multiply the numbers by .92 using the lean/ rich button in EA. I tried using the lean/rich button both ways using various percentages and it made no difference whatsoever in the Calcon readings.

I am aggravated and tired of fooling with trying to get that dumbass calcon software to log the freaking wideband.
Guess I am going to figure out how to log rpm's or MAF voltage into the LM-1 software and tune the car that way.

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I was outside working on the car all day. Take the Lean/Rich number and scroll down to -8, which is leaning by 8 percent. This is the same thing as multiplying by .92. Then make sure you export the file and save it to some other file. You could replace the exiting one if desired. If you choose a different file name then you will have to manually type that name in Cal Con.

You said it made no difference after making the change? Make sure you close out Cal Con when you make these changes. Cal Con only loads the curve one time at start up or if you sleect a new curve. If you select some other WB and hit apply and then go back to the INOVATVE and hit apply, it should reload the curve.

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I'll try that tomorrow.

why is the curve based off 1-2v instead of 0-5v?

86GT
03-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Good question. I thought most WB were 0-5. Unless that cuve is for the NB output. Just for giggles try using the DIYWB curve and see what happens.

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Good question. I thought most WB were 0-5. Unless that cuve is for the NB output. Just for giggles try using the DIYWB curve and see what happens.

All DBF files according to EA are 1v-2v or 1v-3v. :shrug:

I couldn't find any DBF file that was 0-5v

86GT
03-26-2006, 07:36 PM
That is weird. I just opened up the AEM and it goes to 5v and the UGEO.

I will send you the one that I have as soon as I boot up my laptop.

Edited:

I left my laptop at work so I will have to send it to you tomarrow.

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
That is weird. I just opened up the AEM and it goes to 5v and the UGEO.

I will send you the one that I have as soon as I boot up my laptop.

Edited:

I left my laptop at work so I will have to send it to you tomarrow.

ok. send it to Lee@deepstageperformance.com

Don't know if it will fix my problem but i figure its worth a shot

86GT
03-26-2006, 08:04 PM
If you stick a volt meter on the EGR pin at an idle what voltage are you getting? If you are getting 2.5 then you indeed have a 0-5 signal.

QWKSNKE
03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
I am not using the EGR. I am using the dataq

86GT
03-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I sent you an E-Mail

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/Autronic_Output_Cable_Instructions.pdf

86GT
03-26-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm not to sure about the Data Q stuff but it should work the same way. I would make sure the DataQ is reading 2.5 volts around idle and 14.64 AFR. If it is not then the LM1 is not set up correctley. The LM1 has two outputs. I believe output 1 by default is set up for a 1-2 volt signal. Output 2 is setup for the 0-5 volts signal. Use output 2.

QWKSNKE
03-27-2006, 04:43 AM
We'll see what happens. Thanks

Dale McPeters
03-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Lee get the meter and check the voltage at the dataq as we
discussed yesterday. Do this while checking the WB display.
That way you can tell more about what is going on.

gt90stang
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
LM-1 defaults:
output 1 = 1 to 2V 1V=10.0:1 AFR and 2V=20:1 AFR, this way you can use a standard data acq or DVM to read the AFR.

output 2 = 0 to 1V to simulate a narrow band HEGO. I actually tried this and it worked until my WB sensor over heated...too close to the motor in stock position.

I tried 0-5V and gave up and went with 1-2V, it works great so don't beat yourself up trying to get 0-5V to work.

YMMV, Don

QWKSNKE
03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I sent you an E-Mail

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/Autronic_Output_Cable_Instructions.pdf

I don't have a cable like this with my wideband. Only one I have has a red, black, and white wire :shrug:

86GT
03-27-2006, 05:10 PM
OK, did you get a chance to read the voltage at an idle? gt90stang may have a point.

QWKSNKE
03-28-2006, 10:20 AM
I think I am going to try this method this week (through the EGR). Clint, isn't this how yours is done? If so the pin listed below is for a sn95. Is this the same pin location on our cars?

The process of connecting your wideband to the TwEECer/EEC involves a few steps.

Note: This FAQ assumes that you already have a working and installed wideband on your car and that you are using CalCon/CalEdit v1.20b or newer.

1) The first step is to find out where the voltage output for A/F ratio is on your controller circuit. Here is the info I have (currently only the Australian DIY-WB):
1a) Australian DIY-WB v1.0: Pin7 on CON3 (diagram)

2) Connect this output to pin27 on your EEC (green w/brown stripe wire). There are two ways this can be done.
2a) Connect it to the wire directly at the EGR, this tends to be the most common method.
2b) Connect it directly to pin27 on the connector to your EEC. This is the method I used, as I feel it leaves less room for error from electrical resistance (shorter wiring). This however, involves dirtying up your harness as you have to cut the wire that goes into your EEC.

I only know the correct wiring for 94-95 v8 mustangs, as that is what I own, if anyone has different data for other years, please let me know so I can update this FAQ.

3) Assuming all electrical connections are good, the next and final steps are to setup a custom payload within caledit and datalog the results in calcon.
3a) Startup CalEdit.
3b) Click the tab labeled "Scalars" at the top.
3c) Change the value for "EGR System Type" to "2".
3d) Click the tab labeled "Utilities" at the top.
3e) The top right of the screen contains the various variables you may datalog (you may select up to 16). Select the items you would like to datalog, and make sure you include "EGR Valve Position for DIYWB".
3f) Click "Payload".
3g) Click the tab at the top labeled "Input / Output".
3h) Check the box labeled "Data Logging" which is right below the button called "Read EEC".
3i) Turn the key in the ignition to the ON position and wait 5 seconds (so windows can have time to load the USB driver to talk to the TwEECer).
3j) Click "Write TwEECer".

* wait for CalEdit to write the binary and payload to the TwEECer *

3k) Close CalEdit and Startup CalCon (CalEdit cannot write to the TwEECer while CalCon is open).
3l) Click the tab at the top called "Setup".
3m) In the box labeled "Select Wideband", select the appropriate wideband for the type you have. The Australian WB is the same as the "DIYWB".
3n) Click "Apply Changes".
3o) Click the tab at the top called "Dashboard" or "Digital" (doesn't matter which, just pick whichever display is preferable to you).
3p) Check the box labeled "Log to file" in the top right hand corner.
3q) Select the correct RT Method (pick from list under "Log to File" checkbox)
3r) Start the car.
3s) Click the button labeled "Start Logging".

If all is correct, in about 2 minutes once your wideband O2 sensor is heated up you should start seeing the A/F ratio displayed. If not...go back and make sure all electrical connections are correct and repeat step 3.

86GT
03-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes, Mine is wired up to the the EGR sensor. I did not want to cut any wires so I cut a plug off an old O2 and crimped on a new pin for my WB. Now it is simply plug and play. I just unplug the WB and plug the EGR back in for emissions and vise versa.

I believe the pin is the same. Pin 27. I will have to check when I get home. I know the color of the wire is different for me. I am using an 86 wire loom.

gt90stang
03-28-2006, 01:29 PM
The DataQ is much cleaner. Start with basic troubleshooting, connect the DataQ to your PC and start the DataQ software then ground input 1 to input common and see 0V. Then connect input 1 to one of the digital inputs you should get a change to ?V (sorry can't remember but you can measure it with a DVM). If that works then the USB to serial converter and DataQ are working right. Then you just have to get Calcon reading it correctly, use the standard 1-2V innovate.dbf file. You can do the same thing using a 1.5V battery or other voltage source into the DataQ and datalog to see if Calcon records the voltage input into the DataQ.

The USB to serial converter has software settings that have to be right also. Try 9600 baud (not sure what DataQ really needs I'm at work), 1 stop and start bit, hardware handshake...yada yada yada.

Next make sure the LM-1 is setup correctly...reset defaults if you have to. Do a free air cal and measure the voltage out of output 1 on the LM-1...should be around 2V or so (maybe higher I'm not sure). Once you get everything working connect it all together and it should work.

As you can see there is a lot going on here and everything has to be correct to work right. Also if you go the EGR route you have to disconnect the EVP sensor and disable EGR or it won't work right.

Good Luck, Don

QWKSNKE
03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't believe I have any dataq software

Italian LX
03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't believe I have any dataq software
I have the CD at the house.

QWKSNKE
03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I have the CD at the house.

was it installed with the other stuff the other day?

Italian LX
03-28-2006, 02:54 PM
was it installed with the other stuff the other day?
No.

gt90stang
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah one gotcha is that installing the DataQ software might mess up the Calcon software. There is a fix in the software section of the Tweecer site.

Don

QWKSNKE
03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
ok. the data q software is installed and the item is calibrated.

It still does not read correctly in Calcon :banghead: Calcon will read about 2 points off at idle and as soon as crack the throttle it will display 0.9-1.2 a/f in Calcon. I have the dataQ grounded with the EEC right now. I am going to try running a ground to the battery in a little while

QWKSNKE
04-01-2006, 05:18 AM
hooked up and running. put a post up and 'sticked it' with the how to for LM-1 and dataQ hook up. Tune should be about finished in a hour today :banana:

gt90stang
04-01-2006, 07:13 PM
QWKSNKE,

Glad to hear you got it working :chug:

For my DataQ I had to calibrate it for absolute accuracy using the internal pot and an external calibrated source. Calibrating with the DataQ software only makes it accurate with the DataQ software and not with Calcon.

Zero out the DataQ calibrations and adjust the internal pot so the unit will read accurate minus full scale -10.000V, you can use an externally adjustable power supply set for -10.000V (you can connect + to common and - to channel 1 to make a positive source read negative) DO NOT DO THIS IN THE VEHICLE!

I use a precision adjustable voltage reference that I built to adjust A/D converters and calibrate precision electronic equipment. Also check the zero volt readings with a jumper across channel 1 and ground/common. Then you will get accurate readings with Calcon.

Good Luck, Don