PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about skinnies

TheJeanyus
03-31-2006, 01:01 AM
I know they're lighter and thus help off the line, but how much of a difference are we talking about?

:popcorn:

And before you say it, Matt, a set of slicks and skinnies for the track doesn't mean my car is a drag car that won't corner. :D

slvrbullit
03-31-2006, 01:14 AM
Here is a weight comparision of my wheels.

Stock 16x8 rim with 245/50/16........45lbs
15x5 prostar with 205/xx/15............22lbs

So you are looking at a 23lbs difference per wheel and 46lbs total rotating mass off the front. They say the every 100lbs removed from the car is worth .1 in the 1/4.

SteedaChaos
03-31-2006, 02:48 AM
Also add in the benefit of less rolling resistance too, i don't really have times dial-in to compare between the two sets but i always felt there's .2 tenths difference swapping to the drag-lites.

Italian LX
03-31-2006, 05:14 AM
I know they're lighter and thus help off the line, but how much of a difference are we talking about?
As mentioned above, they do help reduce weight and roling resistance, but it's not a huge difference.

If you're like me, then it will probably come down to how the car looks. I only got my skinnies because I hate the look of cars at the track with wheels that don't match -- I guess it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. (Maybe it's because my car already looks like junk and I didn't want to add to that. :D)

I'm sure I may get lazy a few times and run with only my rear wheels changed out, but I like knowing that I can swap all four if I desire.... especially for high profile events like FFW and Track Days. Also, it gives me the option to run around the streets with a different look.
:bling:

So, if you're just a weeknd warrior wanting to see what your car will do with sticky tires, then just get a good set of slicks on some cheap factory wheels and be done with it.

SteedaChaos
03-31-2006, 06:02 AM
Cheap, yea like Greg (RunningRed) did w/ his Mach 1 w/ the $35 wagon wheels...... well fart, he has a solid 8.8, you got the IRS rear i not sure of your options on cheap wheels.

I've always appreciated the swap to the drag-lites, for racing just for the feel i get of a lighter wt. more efficient car. And like ItalianLX their blinging to go out and shine on some peeps on the streets lol.

coupe
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
I like the look of big 'n littles best...(not sure about the look on an '03 Cobra yet).

They sure as hell drive better than my 225/50-16 all around on the car (terrible bump-steer from lowering) but you have to learn how to react with them...they will lock up if you're hard on braking.

Craig K.
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I like the look of them on a Fox or a SN95, I haven't seen to many edge cars with them, so I don't have an opinion yet.

I will say that with manual steering it is much easier for cruising on the street with skinnies up front (yes I had some on the 85 when I drag raced years ago).

I had got a killer deal on mine at the time, and thats why I had bought them.
I think I paid $400 for skinnies with tires and 15x8's in the rears with M&H cheaters and tubes (this was before drag radials were around).

I sold the set for $600 about 3 years later :)

TheJeanyus
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
If you're like me, then it will probably come down to how the car looks.
:D That's the main reason I want to get them. I didn't think the weight would make a huge difference on a car as heavy as mine.

I'd rather keep running shitty times on drag radials and have matching wheels that I like than to put slicks on some ugly OEM wheels that don't match the fronts, honestly. I guess I'm not a true racer because it if doesn't look good, I'd rather be a little slower. I just wondered mainly if there was some actual benefit other than weight/rolling resistance.

Italian LX
03-31-2006, 11:43 PM
I just wondered mainly if there was some actual benefit other than weight/rolling resistance.
They make pretty cool looking space-saver spares. :D

TheJeanyus
04-01-2006, 12:10 AM
:lol: I bet they don't look very cool on the back. :jester: