PDA

View Full Version : rocker pannel removal (sn95)

94five0
01-20-2005, 11:11 PM
why remove your rocker pannels?
different look
easier use to jacking car w/ conventional floor jack(non scissors)
somthin to do when yer bored..
because someone dared ya..

very simple procedure,(as far as body works goes) ending results vary depending on what you're already sporting on the car, exterior mod wise. If you're running an a/m body kit (stalker, cervini's, svo side pipes) then your already ahead of the game..so why are you reading this? If you're stock exterior wise, then it's something to set you apart from the same "big wing, cowl hood" look, you see on every other mustang. :nice:

this style could be most referenced to the late, great 5.0 lx mustangs. simple. not too frilly, but stream-lined in a performance way. I first saw it on an SCCA prepped cobra, (cowl hood, no wing..big tires..) an the look was jus different. simple...but cool.

<<if you've not lowered your car, this will jus accentuate your 4x4 style. so you've been warned.>>

materials:
1.thin profile,needle nosed pliers
2.rubber mallet
3. car cleaning agent, for exteriror use on removal of dirt
4.screwdriver(philips)
5. patience

procedure is same. side per side..

1. under the car, below the door frame, you'll notice two pieces of molded plastic. this slight curved piece (A) near the front tire, an a longer piece that travels the length of the door to the rear wheel well.(B) the entire removal of the rocker pannel that is in two pieces. both separate.

2. removal (A):<< take the screws out of the inner frame near the front wheel well. you should see a clear break that indicates the part where (A) bolts to the wheel well. slip the corner part off. you should now have remaining (B) to undo..

3.removal (B):===== requires bit of finesse. but it is doable. Under the car, from front to back, you'll see where the lower part of (B) pannel bolts to the subframe..there should be a row of 15-20 lil black body plugs, bolting the pannel to the subframe. no real big way to do it gnaw em up or knockem out w/ a mallet. remove these, an your almost done.

4. last part, (congratulations!) removal of upper plugs bolting (B) to lower door frame. This requires some skill. a skilled body man can take them off without ripping anything, and this is advisable if you do not wish to destroy your parts.. you need to pry them off basicly. Ford uses compressed, plastic body clips that when released, snag tight in a hole. this is what's holding the lower pannel to the bottom door frame.(painted metal part) Using a thin pair of needle nosed pliers, compress the clips and pry at the pannel. It should pop off. When you get a few of them off, the rest should come w/ little problem.

5. wow..kinda different huh? Ipso facto, you're done.. bravo. what your left w/ is a swiss cheeze look,( an probly alot of grit an dirt from the outlines of the pannels..) clean em up...two avenues to take from here.

1.weld over holes/ paint it later..(nice, clean look)
2. put rubber plugs in them. 5/16.. 32 (16 per side)

I opted for 2 as a temp. solution. bought the plugs at ACE. total cost.. $3.16

thats it. I'd like to thank Lee (qwksnke) for the awesome tech forum, Paul for the use of his shop, and Jason for his expertise on all things blue oval..much obliged.

---==9</ FIVE0==---
/

Wicked
01-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Pics?

I had the rearmost part of mine off the other day while doing some welding and I liked it. I am going to keep an eye out for some Bullitt/03/04 Cobra side sills cause I like the simple look.

QWKSNKE
01-21-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah jase, do you have any pics of this stuff that Nathan can put with this when he FAQ's it.

94five0
01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
10-4..I posted a few pics, along time ago on stanknet..but i'll get some more comprehensive ones... paul's got the pannels at his shop tho.