PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Wicked (PCV crap)

QWKSNKE
01-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Here is my response on the BM thread

That has got to be the craziest shit I have ever seen. I have never seen a pcv system designed that way.

What I don't understand is, how does that work? So there is enough vacuum on the driverside to overpower the 'suction' of air going up the inlet tract to pull some of that air in through the passenger side valve cover, through the crankcase, and out the pcv of the driver's side valve cover?

Throw me a bone and why/when did Ford complicate the PCV system?

Italian LX
01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
I think Brad is trying to over complicate the PCV system. The reason it is there is to releive any pressure built up in the crankcase (caused by things like piston ring blow-by and bad valve seals).

Sendero
01-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Brad is correct in saying that fresh "metered" air is drawn into the passenger side head, circulated through the block, then drawn out through the drivers side head. But in my understanding of the system and its pressure area's, this only happens at closed/low throttle situations (high vaccumn). Then at higher loads or WOT situations the flow path of the passengers side is reversed due to the postive pressure inside the block now needs to be evacuated. With the throttle open both ports now see a vacummn signal, a weak signal, but enough to move the blowby gasses and building pressure inside the block.

EZ SPEED
01-23-2005, 04:21 AM
:shake: The Topic That Will NEVER DIE

Give it up guys...this topic is probably the easiest one to make yourself crazy over :crazy:

I have seen this topic go on for the past 3 years that I have been on F150online and they havent found an answer yet. :shake:

Italian LX
01-23-2005, 06:45 AM
Give it up guys...this topic is probably the easiest one to make yourself crazy over :crazy:
I would still say it's second to any EEC management question. :confused:

EZ SPEED
01-23-2005, 07:06 AM
I would still say it's second to any EEC management question. :confused:

:lol: Good point Brian

Wicked
01-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Brad is correct in saying that fresh "metered" air is drawn into the passenger side head, circulated through the block, then drawn out through the drivers side head. But in my understanding of the system and its pressure area's, this only happens at closed/low throttle situations (high vaccumn). Then at higher loads or WOT situations the flow path of the passengers side is reversed due to the postive pressure inside the block now needs to be evacuated. With the throttle open both ports now see a vacummn signal, a weak signal, but enough to move the blowby gasses and building pressure inside the block.

Thank you Nathan, the sad thing is thats what I've been saying the whole time.

Normal PCV flow is ONLY during VACUUM condition, i.e. part throttle.
At WOT, its just as you said and the blowby gases escape out the pass side and into the air stream.

:nono: I can't believe that is so hard to understand.

Wicked
01-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I think Brad is trying to over complicate the PCV system. The reason it is there is to releive any pressure built up in the crankcase (caused by things like piston ring blow-by and bad valve seals).

How did I overcomplicate things? By trying to fully understand or explain it?
Shit don't just happen, there a logical reason and I was just explaining.

Dayum! :jester:

Wicked
01-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Here is my response on the BM thread

Throw me a bone and why/when did Ford complicate the PCV system?

When? As long as its been around? Your cobra is like that.

QWKSNKE
01-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Thank you Nathan, the sad thing is thats what I've been saying the whole time.

Normal PCV flow is ONLY during VACUUM condition, i.e. part throttle.
At WOT, its just as you said and the blowby gases escape out the pass side and into the air stream.

:nono: I can't believe that is so hard to understand.

The reason it was so hard to misunderstand is because I had not seen a setup like that. The hood on my wife's car maybe has been opened 4 times since we have owned the car.

It was my own fault because i was comparing the PCV setup on my 93 and 94 which is nothing like that. All there is to the system on those is a PCV that vents to the inlet tract. That's it, no other "fresh air" lines.

Wicked
01-23-2005, 09:08 AM
The reason it was so hard to misunderstand is because I had not seen a setup like that. The hood on my wife's car maybe has been opened 4 times since we have owned the car.

It was my own fault because i was comparing the PCV setup on my 93 and 94 which is nothing like that. All there is to the system on those is a PCV that vents to the inlet tract. That's it, no other "fresh air" lines.

You're wrong again. :jester:

The PCV valve on 5.0's is in the lower intake and the tube connect the lower intake(crankcase) to the upper intake(vacuum source). Its hidden and you can't see it. You can feel the tube if you reach behind the upper intake. The tube from the filler neck to the TB is the fresh air vent.

I'm telling you, go look at it.

QWKSNKE
01-23-2005, 09:21 AM
You're wrong again. :jester:

The PCV valve on 5.0's is in the lower intake and the tube connect the lower intake(crankcase) to the upper intake(vacuum source). Its hidden and you can't see it. You can feel the tube if you reach behind the upper intake. The tube from the filler neck to the TB is the fresh air vent.

I'm telling you, go look at it.

Then I have two vacuum sources because my tube (when it was there) from the oil fill goes to the upper intake about 1.5" past the throttle body.

:doh: I knew that about the PCV hose though, wasn't thinking when I made the above post.

:slap: Can't go look at it. There is nothing but a steering rack underneath the hood of the 93 right now. :D

Wicked
01-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Then I have two vacuum sources because my tube (when it was there) from the oil fill goes to the upper intake about 1.5" past the throttle body.

Actually, the tube is 1.5 inch before the TB blade. ;) So that is your fresh air vent. Looks at this pic. Notice the tube connects before the TPS? The TPS is mounted directly on the TB axis.

QWKSNKE
01-23-2005, 09:56 AM
What brand t/b do you have in that pic ;)

QWKSNKE
01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
:doh: had the wrong vacuum line in my mind. I was thinking of the small one that goes into the intake (beyond t/b).

I still don't see fresh air going into there in a n/a application though. I can see air getting forced into there under boost but not n/a. Just to ignorant it to see i guess :jester:

Wicked
01-23-2005, 10:20 AM
:doh: had the wrong vacuum line in my mind. I was thinking of the small one that goes into the intake (beyond t/b).

I still don't see fresh air going into there in a n/a application though. I can see air getting forced into there under boost but not n/a. Just to ignorant it to see i guess :jester:

Air goes into it because the other end of the crankcase is hooked to the vacuum port.

:slap:

At least if you're gonna be ignorant, its only PCV. :jester: