PDA

View Full Version : Calling all auto mechanics, etc.!!!!

Ponygirl
04-27-2006, 03:27 PM
As you all know, my Focus is FUBAR....after the assessment today, I'll be surprised if they don't total it out. Anyway, here is my problem:

2001 SVT Cobra with approximately 35,000 miles. Suspension mods and tri ax shifter, 3:73 gears, no other modifications. The car was hit HARD in the rear in March 2005 (ya'll know that too). In October on my way back from the beach, the car started cutting out when accelerating in any gear and when it got hot. Almost like the fuel filter was getting stopped up. Nothing was done until a few months later when it got worse and would go dead. The fuel filter was replaced and it ran good for a few days and then back to cutting out and going dead when it got hot. Another month or so went by and the air filter and plugs were replaced. It ran good for another day or so. Last Friday once it got hot, it cut out, it died and I could not get it started it was spitting and sputtering. You could smell the egg smell of the catalytic converter and after it died you could smell almost an electrical burning smell. After it cooled off, it cranked and I barely got it home. Lee swapped out the cats with another pipe and cleaned the Mass air and it ran ok today until it got hot and it cut out on acceleration and eventually died in the middle of the road. When I pulled in the carport after stunt driving the damn thing, I smelled the electrical smell again. Note: the car is not running hot and all gauges are normal and no check engine light. I need help. I've got to have a car to drive to work and I can't figure out what is wrong with the Cobra. I know this is long but any help you guys could offer would be most appreciated. I have until 7:30am tomorrow to get this thing running.

Ponygirl
04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Anyone? Anyone? :shrug:

coupe
04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Kinked fuel line after the accident? Overheating the pump, fuel-pump wiring getting hot, and vapor-lock in the lines ? :shrug:

Sendero
04-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Electrical smell, where? Inside the car or outside? Front or back of the car?

Ponygirl
04-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Electrical smell, where? Inside the car or outside? Front or back of the car?
It happens right when the car dies. I smelled it inside when the window was down but outside around the left fender. It quickly dissipates after the car is shut off. There are no wires or anything burnt and no smoke or anything like that.

Ponygirl
04-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Kinked fuel line after the accident? Overheating the pump, fuel-pump wiring getting hot, and vapor-lock in the lines ? :shrug:
Would something like that not throw a code for the check engine light. It does seem like the car is either not getting fuel or it is getting water or trash in the fuel.

94five0
04-27-2006, 08:17 PM
have you checked the inertia switch on the FP? car was hit in the rear, was the fp replaced?

QWKSNKE
04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
have you checked the inertia switch on the FP? car was hit in the rear, was the fp replaced?

I am not aware if the fuel pump was replaced then.

Even though it is not throwing a code for the fuel rail sensor or fuel pump, it has got to be the problem. Probably going to go ahead and throw a focus pump in it this weekend (if I can find one)

04 Mach1
04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry I meant to check the TSB on it but ended up getting busy nd forgetting I'll check first thing in the morning and call if any fit your problem.

Sendero
04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Lee,

The fuel pump relay is supposed to be located in "underhood distribution panel" on the drivers side. (Look for a black box attached just forward of the drivers side shock tower. It has the postive battery cable running into it) The electrical smell could be coming from a overheating relay, of which could be caused by a locked up or failing fuel pump.

QWKSNKE
04-28-2006, 05:03 AM
yeah I know where the power distribution block is

NightHawk756
04-28-2006, 05:12 AM
I was gonna say IAC....but it's starting to sound like the fuel pump to me too.

Italian LX
04-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Just a liitle more insight on the issue:

Last night I took it for a quick spin around the block. The car never really spit and sputtered... it more or less just fell on it's face and genereally lost power above 3,000rpm. I took off from a dead stop and off the line it seemed all right, but when it got to around 2800 it started planing of and by 3200, the car would not accelerate even with the gas at 3/4 thottle.

I'm thinking it's the pump.

NightHawk756
04-28-2006, 05:25 AM

Last night I took it for a quick spin around the block. The car never really spit and sputtered... it more or less just fell on it's face and genereally lost power above 3,000rpm. I took off from a dead stop and off the line it seemed all right, but when it got to around 2800 it started planing of and by 3200, the car would not accelerate even with the gas at 3/4 thottle.

The car is a manual right??

Italian LX
04-28-2006, 05:27 AM
The car is a manual right??
Yes, stock 3650.

Btw. . . :slap: for asking that question in reference to a Cobra. :D

NightHawk756
04-28-2006, 05:33 AM
Yes, stock 3650.

Btw. . . :slap: for asking that question in reference to a Cobra. :D

oops..yeah your right :doh:

Anyway, it's not a valid question anyway....I was wondering if it was an auto, that it might be a bad valve body or somethiung pulling the motor down. But then after I asked it I remembered that the car was actually cutting off too. duh!:nono:

Blown 5.0
04-28-2006, 05:54 AM
03-04 mustang with 54 thousand on the clock, Woman driver complaint, car will run fine till it gets hot and or low on fuel. car was taken to well know shop to be diagnosed, OBD 2 said missing on no 5 cylinder, system running lean on left engine bank. Shop recommend plugs, wires, filter, general tune up, 350 to 400 dollars. Car was brought to other shop, found fuel pressure to not be what it should be at idle and under accelarateion. Problem was carefully diagnosed, checked fuel pump driver for proper fuction, checked fuel rail sensor for proper fuction, all was working fine. (The pump could not be fooled into making any extra pressure,) Tank was removed and found that when tank was assm. at factory silcone was used on the vent tubes, we all know what silcone and gas does. This pitucular car had two filters in the tank, both were stopped completly up. Whole tank and pump assm. was replaced,problem solved. Dont know if the cobra was put togather like this or not, but maybe give you some idea what to look for.

coupe
04-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Whole tank and pump assm. was replaced,problem solved. Dont know if the cobra was put togather like this or not, but maybe give you some idea what to look for.

Might be worth a look. Good info Blown5.0 :nice:

Ponygirl
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM

When it is hot and God forbid you run the air, it spits and sputters at an idle after the initial cutting out upon acceleration and just before it dies. Trust me on this. I know that car like the back of my hand.

Ponygirl
04-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Might be worth a look. Good info Blown5.0 :nice:
:werd: Lee is supposed to put a fuel pump on it sometime. If that don't work, we'll drop the tank and have a look see. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. :nice: I was running out of ideas. It's a trial and error thing now. I don't like missing vert weather like I did last year.

QWKSNKE
04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
. Shop recommend plugs, wires, filter, general tune up, 350 to 400 dollars.

I would not take it back to this shop. Obviously they didn't know that a 03-04 mustang does not have plug wires.

Asilver2001GT brought me a 03 cobra pump tonight. Going to drop the tank and put it in tomorrow when I get off work

rtusnake
04-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Aren't the single 03 cobra pumps smaller than the stock pump? Not sure but I thought I read somewhere they was

94five0
04-29-2006, 12:01 AM
perhaps, but they're jus attempting to discern if that is the problem, most of the signs are pointing at the FP..

some of the 03 terminator guys switch to a focus pump setup for nitrous applications..

QWKSNKE
04-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Aren't the single 03 cobra pumps smaller than the stock pump? Not sure but I thought I read somewhere they was

Rob looked it up and said they were a little larger.

QWKSNKE
04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Fixed.
Pump sock was extremely dirty (one inside basket) Picked one up at Advance :nice:

Scothew
04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Awesome!

Wall96cobra
04-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Fixed.
Pump sock was extremely dirty (one inside basket) Picked one up at Advance :nice:

My theory was correct:D

Ponygirl
04-29-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm going to test it tomorrow and drive the bitch until she is smokin' hot with the AC on to make sure it is fixed.

89 Hoss
04-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I hear yall now that was impressive problem fixed cobra ready to strike.:metal:

Ponygirl
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
:nice: So far, so good [crosses fingers]

asilver2001gt
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
so my free pumps weren't good enough...i drove my ass to anniston to give you an 03 cobra pump and you go to advanced and buy a stock pump...that'll cost you a hundred bucks

Ponygirl
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
so my free pumps weren't good enough...i drove my ass to anniston to give you an 03 cobra pump and you go to advanced and buy a stock pump...that'll cost you a hundred bucks
I hear ya, jump all off in the Kool Aid without even knowing the flavor. :D The stock pump is still in it. Just got a new filter running to the pump. I appreciate you bringing the fuel pump though.

asilver2001gt
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
yeah i know...i just got off the phone with lee...apparently i can't read, he said pump sock and i just saw the word pump. sorry :D

Ponygirl
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
yeah i know...i just got off the phone with lee...apparently i can't read, he said pump sock and i just saw the word pump. sorry :D
Well, I won't smack you. You've had enough abuse from Beavis and Butthead. :D

asilver2001gt
04-30-2006, 04:53 PM
tell me about it. its partially my fault b/c i asked for it

94five0
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
My theory was correct:D

werd.. I actually helped diagnose an automotive problem.. i am impressed. :D

mustang1549
04-30-2006, 08:31 PM

:baby: :jester:

glad you got the problem worked out shelley.