PDA

View Full Version : brake problem

97cobrasvt
05-26-2006, 08:21 PM
:shrug: hey ya

I have a problem with my abs light . Its coming on after I drive my car for about 1/2 a mile the light .I have installed a set of skinnies on the front but I do not believe thats the problem even though it started after I installed them but about 6 months ago I mashed a brake line and had to fix it.I forget what the name of the devise I use to fix it but it does not leak. Anyway I drove it on and off for a while after I fixed it with no problems then after I installed the skinnies the light came on and I cant get the thing to turn off. It is one of the lines that go to the abs at the front of the car . I HAVE CHECKED TO SEE if its leaking and its not I bleed the brakes all 4 and no air in the lines. What I'm wondering is is there a way to bleed the abs box itself and if so how or if not what could be the problem :shrug:

Italian LX
05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Is the diameter of the skinnies different than your rear tires? If it's significant, than the difference in the speed of the wheels that the sensor sees could likely be causing the light to come on.

97cobrasvt
05-26-2006, 10:49 PM
if you mean taller or shorter yes the front tires are shorter I will measure them to see how much and post it up to see if ya think it would make that much of a difference thanks

beerformeplz
05-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Same thing happened when i went to the big and littles.

Craig K.
05-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Is the diameter of the skinnies different than your rear tires? If it's significant, than the difference in the speed of the wheels that the sensor sees could likely be causing the light to come on.

This is most likely the reason.

The ABS system uses tone rings and a magnetic pick up sensor to tell how fast the wheel is turning. When it sees the fronts are turing faster than the rears it will through an error code.

hevymtl
05-28-2006, 01:03 AM
This is most likely the reason.

The ABS system uses tone rings and a magnetic pick up sensor to tell how fast the wheel is turning. When it sees the fronts are turing faster than the rears it will through an error code.

:werd: Big Steve!

97cobrasvt
05-28-2006, 07:18 AM
I wonder if I can find a taller skinny for the front it would resolve the problem. Whats up Jamerson dont get to see you much anymore

Sendero
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
What I'm wondering is is there a way to bleed the abs box itself and if so how or if not what could be the problem :shrug:

The only way I know of to bleed the Bosch ABS is to bleed each corner of the car until you see clean fluid coming out of the bleed port. Then driver the car, warm up the brakes, and make three or four stops that activate the ABS. After the ABS stops bleed the front brakes again. You might see some dirty fluid which means you've cleared out the reservoir.

asilver2001gt
05-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Brian and Craig are right, its b/c of the different sized tires. When I had my mullet tires on the back of my car my abs light would come on. When I go to the track, my abs is light on. Two options....first option go back to a street tire and leave the skinnies for the track or second option get over it