PDA

View Full Version : Fox Carb Conversion

Wicked
01-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I am considering a fox project and, due to budgetary constraint, may go with a carb setup. I am looking at 87-93 cars. If I swap to carb, what all is necessary?

I know the first thing that comes to my mind is gages and tapping into the stock cabin harness for the temp sender, rpm input, etc. I would think I'd also have to remove the stock fuel pump and put a piece of straight-thru tubing in its place and then run a low pressure carb/regulator pump up front.

Just trying to get an idea of what will be necessary if this is the route I go.

I probably wont as I plan on doing a JY turbo setup and that would be much easier with FI. But I can get the carb and pump free/cheap.

I am also mainly considering carb if I can't find a car with a mass air engine.

Just weighing the options. :chug:

EZ SPEED
01-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Why not get a 4 eye Fox to begin with a carb? Start out much cheaper that way

If you dont like the look swap body panels :shrug:

Italian LX
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I am considering a fox project and, due to budgetary constraint, may go with a carb setup. I am looking at 87-93 cars. If I swap to carb, what all is necessary?
The first thing that's necessary is for you to get the hell off this board! :mad:

. . . have you not notice that qkjuicedpony is mysteriously missing. ;)

Wicked
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
The first thing that's necessary is for you to get the hell off this board! :mad:

NM then.

Craig K.
01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
I have a fun 4-eyed carb car I would seal you....just kidding.

What is your plan for the car, street car or track only car?

If it is track only, you'll want to completly gut al the wiring harnesses and make your own, this will save a ton of wieght, if you want, I have a full scamatic for the wiring that I did on my car, I can copy it (if I can find it) and send it to you.

The idea of going with a 4-eye car is good also because they wiegh less.

I have my car with 5 gallons of fuel down to around 2850 lbs. Remember I have a full 15/8" cage, 22 gallon fuel cell and all stock piece front suspension.

Italian LX
01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
NM then.
I was just kidding, dude.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't know where to start. It sounds like you're on the right track. :nice:

TheJeanyus
01-25-2005, 08:08 PM
:ot: What happened to him? He didn't cut the rest of his fingers off, did he?

Sendero
01-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Pull the wiring harness + EEC. You will either have to make your own or get a Painless Kit. Yank the intake and distributor. Intall Carb, Intake, and retrofit Electronic distributor. That should be it because you can retain the serpentine belt for serviceability.

Italian LX
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Pull the wiring harness + EEC. You will either have to make your own or get a Painless Kit. Yank the intake and distributor. Intall Carb, Intake, and retrofit Electronic distributor. That should be it because you can retain the serpentine belt for serviceability.
I think you oversimplified it. What does he do about the cluster, ignition switch, headlights, wipers, etc.?

QWKSNKE
01-25-2005, 08:15 PM

:werd:

Plus get a early model 302 timing chain cover. 86-up do not have the a place for the mechanical fuel pump.

Sendero
01-25-2005, 08:17 PM
I think you oversimplified it. What does he do about the cluster, ignition switch, headlights, wipers, etc.?

Doesn't the wiring harness + EEC cover that (or was I too vage)? The painless kit I was looking at covered all this.

IMHO, I'd stay FI unless you are dead set on Carb. If you are, just get a 4-eye.

Wicked
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a fun 4-eyed carb car I would seal you....just kidding.

What is your plan for the car, street car or track only car?

If it is track only, you'll want to completly gut al the wiring harnesses and make your own, this will save a ton of wieght, if you want, I have a full scamatic for the wiring that I did on my car, I can copy it (if I can find it) and send it to you.

The idea of going with a 4-eye car is good also because they wiegh less.

I have my car with 5 gallons of fuel down to around 2850 lbs. Remember I have a full 15/8" cage, 22 gallon fuel cell and all stock piece front suspension.

The car is going to be a street car and will possibly become my daily driver to keep wear and tear off the cobra...another reason I'd like to avoid the carb.

I thought about the 4 eye car but I want another coupe. I like the smooth simple look of the coupes. Craig, if I could afford yours I'd love it.

Craig, If it comes down to making a new wiring harness that's no big deal.

I have already considered having to go to a duraspark ignition as well.

Thanks for the replies.

I am also considering starting with a 4 cylinder car(depends on what I can get cheap). I will know who to go to for info on that swap although it would be straight forward and I do have a parts car.

I'll bring the subject back up once I figure out what route I am definitely going.

TheJeanyus
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
IMHO, I'd stay FI unless you are dead set on Carb. If you are, just get a 4-eye.
:werd:

If the car is already EFI, stick with it. If it's carbed, stick with that. Changing over is much more of a PITA than finding a car already configured the way you want. Like KB said, if you don't like the 4 eyes, swap the front fascia.

Wicked
01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Lee, I would be going with a electric fuel pump if I went to carb.

Nathan, I've already said this would only be in the event the opportunity arose to get the carb stuff cheaper then the efi stuff...i.e. complete 302/351 carb motor. I have a friend with a carb motor he would give me.

Sorry, maybe you all misunderstood me, I would not be converting to carb. This would be in the event I got a car with no engine...i.e. no engine harness, efi intakes, mass air, etc.

I am definitely shooting for efi.

TheJeanyus
01-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a friend with a carb motor he would give me.
:hmm: I know of a early Fox that is in need of a carb motor. :D

QWKSNKE
01-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Food for thought....

i am pretty sure that Wall still has a complete FI harness w/ A9L omputer

Wicked
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
:hmm: I know of a early Fox that is in need of a carb motor. :D

Well, when he GIVES it to me I might SELL it to you. :jester:

:poke:

QWKSNKE
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
and intakes

Wicked
01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
and intakes

Would you do me a favor and tell him to hold on to them. I will definitely be interested. Mass air right?

TheJeanyus
01-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Well, when he GIVES it to me I might SELL it to you. :jester:

:poke:
:(

:jester:

QWKSNKE
01-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Would you do me a favor and tell him to hold on to them. I will definitely be interested. Mass air right?

:yup:

svopaul
01-26-2005, 07:18 AM
EFI can be done cheap.....you can start with speed density for next to nothing and convert to MAF later. I have something like 12 or more EFI intakes here ;)

BUT....a 4cyl to V8 conversion is not as easy as you might think even if going to a carb setup....just keep that in mind.

Also a carb is not your best bet for daily driver status...can be done but EFI is much easier.

As Lee stated on the timing cover except that in 86 and 87 Ford used the same timing cover with the fuel pump boss but they did not break out the casting so all you have to do is remove the area inside the hole and you can use a fuel pump.

Wiring....get an EVTM for the year car you get and you can wire up everything if needed but the engine harness and computer is seperate for the most part...all the lights, etc should work but you will have to work with the guages. If you get a 79-86 car then you can just turn a switch in the tachometer to change from 4-6-8 cylinder...if you get an 87-93 then you have to change the tach out altogether or figure out what electronically you have to do to get the tach to read correctly.

Craig K.
01-26-2005, 09:00 AM
If your going to use the car for a daily driver, then I would stay away from the carb.

Not because the arn't reliable, just because EFI is better for fuel economy, and drivability (once it starts to get hot, the carb could start vapor locking, etc...).

Depending on the amount of money you have to spend, there are coupes out there 1986 up that could make a good daily driver, look around on www.autotrader.com do a 300 mile search and see whats out there.

Wicked
01-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Depending on the amount of money you have to spend, there are coupes out there 1986 up that could make a good daily driver, look around on www.autotrader.com do a 300 mile search and see whats out there.

I am looking everywhere!

I am definitely going EFI.

:closed:

Italian LX
01-26-2005, 10:08 PM
You have chosen wisely. :nice:

Craig K.
01-27-2005, 10:06 AM
I am looking everywhere!

:closed:

If you need a trailer to pick up a car let me know.

Sometimes you might not want to buy a 15 year old car then drive it home 300 miles.

Oh yeah IBTL :jester:

joker
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I know where you could get a v8 efi donor car pretty cheap :jester: still runs and everything :nice:

Wicked
01-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I know where you could get a v8 efi donor car pretty cheap :jester: still runs and everything :nice:

Over my budget! :jester: Sorry.

Craig, I might take you up on that but only if its out your way.
If its eastward, I got another buddy, wouldn't want you to have to drive so far. Thanks for the offer. :nice: