PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger

CrimsonRacing
06-05-2006, 05:19 PM
what all is involved to install a roots type blower?

and......will it be necessary to upgrade to higher number injectors?

any input would be appreciated......

:metal:

94five0
06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
supercharger, piping, intercooler, injectors, maf, belt, brackets..suporting tuning from a chip to smooth it out

kenne bell or whipple would be your best bet for a roots type application for the sn95 mustang. beleive me, having an sn95 5.0 makes you contemplate insane things.. i've contemplated monkeying an eaton from a stock cobra..the machining cost is astronomical versus a direct, centrifugal kit from say vortech or procharger..

QWKSNKE
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
not much really. A roots type is going to replace your upper intake and yes you will need to upgrade your injectors.

Something such as a Kenne bell will come with everything you need, Supercharger, injectors, fuel system upgrades, belt, and pulleys

CrimsonRacing
06-05-2006, 07:56 PM
what about cost Lee...............3K.........5K?

Is it someting that I can do myself and then take it to Blakes for a tune?

Kinda tossing some ideas around to just test the water.

:metal:

QWKSNKE
06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
http://www.kennebell.net/

Looks like $2999 for a 94-95 6 psi kit but I am unsure what all is included.

Try calling them and see what their kits include. I would consider purchasing a GT-40 lower and the appropriate KB kit for it. (its the same price whether you have a GT-40 KB or stock 5.0 KB kit)

coupe
06-06-2006, 08:19 AM
I would consider purchasing a GT-40 lower and the appropriate KB kit for it.

:werd: Don't bother stuffing boost through that stock lower, when you can probably find a GT40 (or explorer) lower for around $100.

But then again, I would strongly consider an S-trim from Vortech. As far as power, longevity, and easy install go, it's hard to beat. And that whistle at idle is kinda intimidating. No noise from the Ken Belle on a 5.0

Blown 5.0
06-06-2006, 03:48 PM
AHHHHH but the feeling of instant boost can be compaired to nothing else. We have a KB on a 1st gen lightning. As far as the blower and hardware, it cant be beat for fit and finish. BUT the support from KB SUXXX big time. Support will be little to none and be prepared to be belittled in a big way.

TheJeanyus
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
But then again, I would strongly consider an S-trim from Vortech. As far as power, longevity, and easy install go, it's hard to beat. And that whistle at idle is kinda intimidating. No noise from the Ken Belle on a 5.0
:stupid:

Roots blowers are great on a 4.6 where the power band at lower rpms leaves much to be desired, but on a pushrod motor I'd rather have a centrifugal.

Shorty
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
:stupid:

Roots blowers are great on a 4.6 where the power band at lower rpms leaves much to be desired, but on a pushrod motor I'd rather have a centrifugal.

:agree: is it really worth the gain of a blower on a stock head and cam 5.0? most of the numbers i have on stock cars arent that much over a H/C/I combo. to me that would be the route to go first then stick the blower on later. :shrug:

Blown 5.0
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Actually the cam is probaly the biggest bang for the buck with a roots supercharger. I did happen at one time to do no more than a head swap after supercharging. The differnce was mimual. Also on the same motor was a cam swap ,BIGG differnce. My personal opinion is, i think roots is the most misunderstood supercharger there is.I will leave you with this. IF Top fuel and or funny cars could make more power with a differnt supercharger dont you think they would?

junior73
06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
If the tune is right, you should make more power with a good set of heads, at the cost of some boost. You will actually lose boost with free flowing heads, but overall power will be up.
As for the blowers, they each have pros and cons. If somehing happens to your roots type, the car is down, i.e., you may have to tow it from the track or wherever. With a centrifigul, at least you can undo the drive belt and get her home under her own power. The down fall to the centrifigul is the extra load exerted on the crank snout and of course the fact that you are running another belt. Boost does come on quicker, with a roots, but like Coupe siad, the whistle does have its own intimidation factor.
Have you thought about running a turbo? I have seen a couple of sites with people in the 11's with just the turbo, an F cam and an intake. Stock heads and bottom end.

coupe
06-07-2006, 08:26 AM
IF Top fuel and or funny cars could make more power with a differnt supercharger dont you think they would?

They could make more power yes...but the power is not an issue. The damn things are hard enough to handle with what they have.

Blown 5.0
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
.Like i said a roots type is the most misunderstood. A roots type can be driven without a belt, even if the geartrain is locked up. The only problem i have found with a roots is NO TRACTION