PDA

View Full Version : Header question

redhorse
06-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I would like some good advice from those of you who know what you are talking about and have not been educated out of a hot rod magazine.

Need input on the difference and advantages of Long tube headers and shorties. I have a Pro-chamber now and know if I go with Long tubes I will have to change. Still I would like to know some of the differences, such as in Horsepower and Torque and overall performance.

QWKSNKE
06-11-2006, 08:33 PM
IMO, Long tubes would not be worth the hassle. I feel that in a mostly stock application that shorty headers would be fine.

If you were heavily modified like asilver2001gt's car (or had plans to be in the future) then there MAY be an advantage with them.

In other words, long tubes seem to respond well to (or be better suited for) a heavily modified or high boost application (over 13-14psi)

rtusnake
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I've put longtubes on both of my cars and I like them, but both of mine were supercharged. They are a pain to install but I like the fact they help alittle getting heat out of the motor. Only issues with longtubes unless you get the brands that cost more money is that you have to remove one side or at least loosen them to change the tranny.

EZ SPEED
06-12-2006, 03:03 AM
IMHO longtube are only needed from 500rwhp and up. I made 503 rwhp through stock manifolds. They are not as resrictive as people think.

QWKSNKE
06-12-2006, 04:53 AM
. Only issues with longtubes unless you get the brands that cost more money is that you have to remove one side or at least loosen them to change the tranny.

I can tell you that the expensive ones (such as the 5 piece SHM ones) have to be removed on one side as well

rtusnake
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Only ones I've heard you don't for sure are hooker and kooks. I can remove the t56 with bbk longtubes though

TheJeanyus
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
On a mod motor, the stock manifolds really flow pretty well and shorty headers don't make much of a difference from the people I've talked to. Long tubes do make a difference, but they're really not worth the hastle unless you're putting in a tubular K member or something because they are such a PITA to install.

redhorse
06-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Alright since the subject of the Tubular K Member has come up. Will the shorties work or rather can I use both of them together? Or will I run into a problem trying to use the K Member with the Shorties? Thanks for the input folks?

QWKSNKE
06-12-2006, 03:25 PM
k-member will work with either header