PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning

86GT
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Well my A/C finally went out. I converted from the R12 to the 134a about a year ago and all was well untill I tried it today. I am not to sure what is wrong but when it is on max the compressor is on.

At first I thought that it was low on freeon. I hooked up the guage and found that when the A/C is first turned on the low pressure side is right at 26. This is right were it is supposed to be, but after about two minutes the pressure increases to about 120 and the discharge line (high pressure side) gets extremley hot whereas the low pressure side is ambient temp.

This extreme temp on the high pressure side causes the evaporator to get so hot that it heat the engine up. Im not to sure what is wrong but it sounds as if one of the lines is plugged up.

Are there any A/C experts out there that can enligntning me. This is one thing I know nothing about.

QWKSNKE
06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Check:

..dryer
..filter in the low pressure line

93Cobra#2771
06-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Wait, you're saying this is the first time you've had to use a/c? :eek:

Been using mine since April!

QWKSNKE
06-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Wait, you're saying this is the first time you've had to use a/c? :eek:

Been using mine since April!

No sh*t!

Dale McPeters
06-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Been using mine since Jan. 31st......:jester:

Shorty
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
started using mine on the Dragon. that is only because i couldnt handle the wrath that would ensue if my passenger had to sweat on the trip up. :D

86GT
06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Yes it is the first time the AC was used this year. The car for the most part sits in the garage. I baby it to hell and take it to a lot of shows. I perfer to have the windows down and listen to the engine and so forth.

It was 105° last weekend and I decided to try it and of coarse it did not work.

Check:
..dryer
..filter in the low pressure line

Is there a way to check this without have to discharge the system? Other then blowing through the disconnected dryer how is it tested?

QWKSNKE
06-22-2006, 05:03 AM
not that I know of Clint

coupe
06-22-2006, 10:21 AM
My guess: the expansion/check valve is bad. It would build up pressure/heat like you mention. It might be built in tho, ie: not replacable by itself. Never worked on one, just know the theory.

86GT
06-22-2006, 06:41 PM
My guess: the expansion/check valve is bad. It would build up pressure/heat like you mention. It might be built in tho, ie: not replacable by itself. Never worked on one, just know the theory.

If I am correct there is a small orfice on the line going from the condensor to the evaporator in the car. It maybe built in the dryer like you said.

Dale McPeters
06-22-2006, 08:37 PM
If I am correct there is a small orfice on the line going from the condensor to the evaporator in the car. It maybe built in the dryer like you said.

It is built into the line.
You will have to purchase a whole
new line unless you have a local AC
shop cut it out and set it up to use
a delco style or one of napa's.

04 Mach1
06-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds like orfice tube. Beleive its is built in (McPeters) Most after markets can be changed out If there is alot of little particles in the old one tube it usually means the compressor is on its way out.