PDA

View Full Version : Widest tire size for 17x9in

uvbnhad
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Anyone know a definitive answer to what is the widest tire you can put on a factory wheel? I've heard 285/40/17s but most of everything else I've heard is 275/40/17.

rtusnake
07-26-2006, 10:01 PM
The 285 is the widest ones I have seen on a 9 inch rim. It really depends on what brand you get. I have 315 nitto drags on a 9 inch rim and they work fine, believe jeanyus runs them as well.

TheJeanyus
07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
The 285 is the widest ones I have seen on a 9 inch rim. It really depends on what brand you get. I have 315 nitto drags on a 9 inch rim and they work fine, believe jeanyus runs them as well.
:yup: I will admit, though, that there is a little more sidewall bulge than I would like. It doesn't hurt anything, I just don't like the way it looks that much.

1sicklx
07-27-2006, 12:53 AM
What you "can" and what you "should" are two different things.

I wouldn't put anything over 275's on the front, and if you want to drive it around I wouldn't go any larger than 275's-285's max on the rear.

You can get away with wider tires at the track, but I wouldn't want to take a sharp corner with 315's on 9" wheel.

The tire isn't designed to go on a wheel that narrow, and I don't want to be the one to find out how it's going to react going through the corner with a some-what compromised side-wall.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you're also going to give up some tread-life by using a tire that's too wide.

Just my .02

QWKSNKE
07-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Is it safe for me to assume that we are referring to a new edge car? If so, then yes 275's are probably the widest you will want to go with for a daily driver tire.

But, 315 drag radials are no problem for mild street/strip use

Italian LX
07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
. . . there is a little more sidewall bulge than I would like. It doesn't hurt anything. . .
Yes it does. Mounting a tire that is too big for the rim will absolutely kill handling. It may help a little bit in straight-line traction, but not enough to make up for the crappy handling.

For the best handling, the tread width of your tire should be no wider than the rim width. You can actually increase handling by having a smaller tire on the rim, but it looks funny when the tire bows in.