PDA

View Full Version : Smog pump

wickmaster
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Does anybody know if you remove the smog pump will you get a check engine light? Also the by-pass valve and tube on the rear of the motor. Thanks.

Italian LX
07-29-2006, 02:30 AM
No, the CEL won't come on... assuming you are talking about your '89 GT.

The only part of the emissions equipment that will cause the light to come on is if you physically unpluging the electrical connection to the EGR valve. Everything else is just a 'soft code' and won't show up unless you scan the memory.

QWKSNKE
07-29-2006, 07:16 AM
No, the CEL won't come on... assuming you are talking about your '89 GT.

The only part of the emissions equipment that will cause the light to come on is if you physically unpluging the electrical connection to the EGR valve. Everything else is just a 'soft code' and won't show up unless you scan the memory.

+1

wickmaster
07-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, I was talking about my '89 GT. Thanks alot!! I do have an egr issue that I am trying to work out right now. I think the pintle might be dirty causing it not to fully close. During part throttle it feels like a slight surge then without moving my foot it just goes. Hard to explain without being here. I also threw a code for an oxygen sensor. It does not state which sensor but I am assuming its the one that is bent.

1 more question. What does the tube at the rear of the motor that links the two heads together do? Thanks again fellas.

Italian LX
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
1 more question. What does the tube at the rear of the motor that links the two heads together do? Thanks again fellas.
It allows air to be injected into the exhaust runners (from the smog pump) to help burn emmissions upon start-up.

Those holes at the end of the heads channels all the way down and have small ports into each exhaust runner.

Shorty
07-29-2006, 10:56 AM
i got no warning light when i disconnected my egr. :shrug: we did a friends but his did however. i think all we did was use a small piece of wire soldered to the points to complete kill the MIL.

wickmaster
07-29-2006, 11:08 AM
It allows air to be injected into the exhaust runners (from the smog pump) to help burn emmissions upon start-up.

Those holes at the end of the heads channels all the way down and have small ports into each exhaust runner.

So basically the exhaust ports are connected to each other through the heads by a small port. Are those ports on the back of Trick flow heads?

wickmaster
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
i got no warning light when i disconnected my egr. :shrug: we did a friends but his did however. i think all we did was use a small piece of wire soldered to the points to complete kill the MIL.

What did you do? Eliminate the EGR with the plate? When you say solder the wires, what exactly do you mean and where?

Italian LX
07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Are those ports on the back of Trick flow heads?
Yes. I know they are on the Twisted Wedge and AFR165 heads.

Italian LX
07-29-2006, 05:34 PM
What did you do? Eliminate the EGR with the plate?
I used a plate, but I was able to turn off the EGR system using the TwEECer so the CEL wouldn't come on.

Shorty
07-29-2006, 08:28 PM
What did you do? Eliminate the EGR with the plate? When you say solder the wires, what exactly do you mean and where?

i actually still have mine on the car because i didnt want to fool with the a blocking plate since i knew i would be changing the TB out. i just disconnected it to see what happened then reconnected it to keep it from dangling. i know the MIL works but not sure why that didnt kick it on. i am thus far the only person i have heard of whose didnt. with all the other issues my car has i guess it dont mind if the damn EGR isnt working correctly. :shrug:

QWKSNKE
07-30-2006, 04:59 AM
EGR has never thrown a CEL on my 93 either when it didn't work

wickmaster
07-30-2006, 05:45 AM
I used a plate, but I was able to turn off the EGR system using the TwEECer so the CEL wouldn't come on.

I will probally leave the EGR in place when I do the overhaul. But just in case, what is the TwEECer? I have seen this talked about before but never really paid attention to what it actually is. I was going to go the "clean" route under the hood by filling all the un used holes in and painting to match the car.(Torreador red) Removing that was also thought about. This is kinda funny because people are usually asking me the questions,now its the other way around. HAHA From what everybody says, I stole this car and I should never get rid of it. It's not far from mint aside from the 120,000 miles. Never been in a winter and had zero rust or rot.

Shorty
07-30-2006, 08:38 AM

guess i am not the only one. :nice:

Italian LX
07-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Was it actually unplugged? :think:

Shorty
07-30-2006, 10:54 AM

just seen the second part of the question. we connected the points of the plug in with a piece of wire to complete the circuit and fool the computer into thinking that it was still there. you can buy something like this on ebay but we just did it the redneck way. it was basically free too.

QWKSNKE
07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Was it actually unplugged? :think:

No. EGR was not functioning though. Found it in a soft code (stored)

Italian LX
07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
No. EGR was not functioning though. Found it in a soft code (stored)
Yeah, I said it would throw a soft code if it wasn't working correctly; however, if you were to unplug it, then it will throw the CEL light.

QWKSNKE
07-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I said it would throw a soft code if it wasn't working correctly; however, if you were to unplug it, then it will throw the CEL light.

ahh

wickmaster
07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
just seen the second part of the question. we connected the points of the plug in with a piece of wire to complete the circuit and fool the computer into thinking that it was still there. you can buy something like this on ebay but we just did it the redneck way. it was basically free too.

Yeah, I like the redneck way. I tend to do things the "hard" way to save money and learn a thing or two along the way. So basically you just looped the end on the connector where it plugs into the EGE valve and that completed the circut. Right? Sorry if I am bugging you guys but I sometimes need to find out the whole thing. Thanks for all the help, wish I was closer so we could talk in person. It would be muck easier.

streetstang88
07-30-2006, 08:58 PM
i think that there is a nominal impedance (ohms) resistance that the ecu needs to see open/close for it to be "fooled" you may need a resistor between the leads other than just a hard short which is what you are doing
(may be just fine the way you doing it)

i gotta get one of these TwEECer deals !!!!!!!