PDA

View Full Version : engine interanls when rebuilding n/a engine for turbo?

CrimsonGT
09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I need a good recommendation on engine internals to go with when I rebuild my N/A 2.3 for a turbo setup.
what forged pistons and if I need to upgrade connecting rods and such
goal is 300+rwhp

SvoBrown
09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
I need a good recommendation on engine internals to go with when I rebuild my N/A 2.3 for a turbo setup.
what forged pistons and if I need to upgrade connecting rods and such
goal is 300+rwhp

Stock is good nuff.
The ford forged pistons will take 400 hp with no problems. If you have to bore the block then start to look for new parts. Stock rods are just as good. I have seen after market parts fail under the same abuse. Lee may have some ideas on parts and where to buy.

As long as you keep your fuel, Air, and timing in a safe area the bottom end will take it.

CrimsonGT
09-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm going to upgrading rod bolts and main cap bolts and head bolts
and getting everything balanced
thanks kerry

coupe
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
The SVO stuff is pretty nice, but I don't think the NA stuff is up to the task. I would call up an outfit like Racer Walsh. They have a plethora of cranks, rods, pistons, cams, etc...etc... Ask for Eddie.

;)

QWKSNKE
09-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I do have a contact to get 2.3 parts as well

shiftless
11-24-2006, 10:57 AM
coupe: Everything is identical between the turbo and N/A motors except the pistons (which are forged, as you know.) The rods, cranks, etc are identical. Turbo'ing an N/A motor can and has been done successfully, you just have to be careful about detonation. Also they have higher static compression.

CrimsonGT
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
well thanks for the info, right now the pistons are being swapped to svo pistons and the head is going to a head porter in fayetville, ga I'm gonna have him workover combustion chambers and the bowls and such.
thanks
joe

SvoBrown
11-25-2006, 10:12 PM
I want to see the port work before you put it back together.
You staying with stock valves or the 1.59/ 1.89 Chevy's valves? Thats what I have in mine now. I didn't see a big help with the larger valves, Had to go with other springs to get the valve float out of them.

CrimsonGT
11-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I want to see the port work before you put it back together.
You staying with stock valves or the 1.59/ 1.89 Chevy's valves? Thats what I have in mine now. I didn't see a big help with the larger valves, Had to go with other springs to get the valve float out of them.

I got the valves coming I will pm you some pics