PDA

View Full Version : Changed spark plugs yesterday.

Scothew
01-31-2005, 10:00 AM
I never realized how having a tighter gap effected the car. When I had the n2o setup on the car, I ran NGK Tr-6 plugs gapped at .030. Now I ran the nitrous really rich for awhile untill I had the correct jets so it probably fouled the plugs some. Well yesterday I pulled the old ones out, they had a brownish tint to the ceramic and the electrode looked charcoalish. These had about 15k miles on them.

I put in new NGK Tr-6 plugs gapped at .045. The car runs much better now and so much smoother through the rpm's. It seems to pull much better and rev alot quicker. Also does not seem to blow any smoke like it was under hard acceleration and doesnt seem to pop and backfire during shifts or decel from a high RPM. Hell I want to go to the track now :p

Side note: I did find alot of oil in the back 2 drivers side spark plug holes. I am guessing its leaking around the valve cover into the plug hole :shrug: Anything I should be worried about? I know some oil got down in the cylinder when i pulled hte plug out. My wrench, the boot and plug came out soaked. The car smoked for about 45seconds after intial crank up i am guessing due to this.

Craig K.
01-31-2005, 10:05 AM
yeah plug gapping is something you must dial in. I bet you get better milage now as well.

Sendero
01-31-2005, 10:40 AM
A little oil in the cylinders is not a bad thing, it helps lube the rings! :D

The Head Cover "Donuts" probably slipped a little to the side where the cover meets the head. Not a big deal unless you start puddling oil up on the spark plugs. Ford makes a gasket kit to replace all the "donuts" and the cover gasket. A lot of people say that the head covers can't be removed with the engine in the car, but they are wrong. I've personally done it twice and got the covers back on without a leak. The Drivers side cover is WAY easier than the passenger side.

Scothew
01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
So you can remove the valve covers with the motor still in the car.. :Hmm:

Nathan think you could change cams as well? (i'm just curious, and may make another thread)

Sendero
01-31-2005, 10:54 AM
So you can remove the valve covers with the motor still in the car.. :Hmm:

Nathan think you could change cams as well? (i'm just curious, and may make another thread)

Definately enough room to change cams. :yup:

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
A lot of people say that the head covers can't be removed with the engine in the car, but they are wrong. I've personally done it twice. . . .
It must be easier than a 99+ car. :notnice:

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
i'm guessing you will still have to remove the intake, timing chain cover and all.

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
i'm guessing you will still have to remove the intake, timing chain cover and all.
On the 99+ 4V you have to undo the brake pedal and remove the brake boster from the firewall. :notnice:

. . . and even then, it's still a royal PITA! :tlash:

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
what'd you guys do with a 99+ 4v??? Sounds like PITA!

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:05 AM
what'd you guys do with a 99+ 4v??? Sounds like PITA!
Head swap.

Sendero
01-31-2005, 11:09 AM
On the 99+ 4V you have to undo the brake pedal and remove the brake boster from the firewall. :notnice:

. . . and even then, it's still a royal PITA! :tlash:

Yeah, I know you can't do it with the 99+ Cobra's because the moved the Hydraboost right in the way of the head cover. You can't get enough angle to make the cover clear the cam retaining brackets.

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Head swap.

details? bad head?

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
You can't get enough angle to make the cover clear the cam retaining brackets.
The brackets aren't the only thing in the way; you can't get then high enough to even clear the cams.

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:12 AM
details? bad head?
:yup: Blown plug on #7.

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
:yup: Blown plug on #7.

damn FOMOCO and their 3 thread design.

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:15 AM
damn FOMOCO and their 3 thread design.
Actually, what I've heard, the 4V don't have that issue. I believe this motor had been abused pretty bad before Mark got it.

http://forums.qwiksnake.com/showthread.php?t=17

Wall96cobra
01-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I know you can't do it with the 99+ Cobra's because the moved the Hydraboost right in the way of the head cover. You can't get enough angle to make the cover clear the cam retaining brackets.

The hydaboost is in the same spot but with the 99-up the valve covers are taller because of the coil-on-plugs and that's why we had such a hard time.

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:20 AM
I got ya Brian.. wasnt sure if it was the same cause. I know I had the issue on my 00 GT and it was a PITA to get the passenger drivers side back on due to the brake setup.

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I got ya Brian.. wasnt sure if it was the same cause. I know I had the issue on my 00 GT and it was a PITA to get the passenger drivers side back on due to the brake setup.
The GT's are nothing compared to the Cobras. You can easily pull the GT cam cover without messing with the brakes.

Italian LX
01-31-2005, 11:28 AM
The hydaboost is in the same spot but with the 99-up the valve covers are taller because of the coil-on-plugs and that's why we had such a hard time.
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure enough to tell him otherwise.

QWKSNKE
01-31-2005, 11:53 AM

your brake setup was on the passenger side of your 2000 GT? :think:

Scothew
01-31-2005, 11:58 AM
damnit. i meant drivers..

i cant type and work on a call at the same time apperently :doh:

Wall96cobra
01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
damnit. i meant drivers..

i cant type and play with my penis at the same time apperently :doh:

:huh:

Scothew
01-31-2005, 12:16 PM