PDA

View Full Version : demolet.com cold air kit....

svopaul
02-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Since we don't have a product review section yet and I hate people to overspend I am going to give my review here ;).

I had a customer bring in their '04 GT for a bunch of mods and included in that they brought me this cold air kit. I was shocked when I opened the box and looked at what appeared to come from the plumbing isle at Lowes!!! The tag on it said "Tunable Induction system" from "www.demolet.com". I went to the site and could not believe that they spent $150 for this!!! I STILL can't figure how this is so "Tunable" any more than any other cold air kit...I have come to believe that it is nothing more than B.S. marketing hype...but his statement makes NO SENSE!!!

"With our new Tunable Induction power packages you can now build a full competition induction system custom bench flow matched and calibrated for each component and any desired injector size to compliment any naturally aspirated motor modifications.

You can add these staged power packages to a stock GT and have the Pro-M meter recalibrated to any injector size without having to purchase any further components as your future motor modifications are completed. Or simply enjoy the substantial power gains on your GT as you budget the addition of each component'."

These are not even sentences let along make any form of comprehensible sense!....and I need hip waders to read it!

Aside from that the "Carbon Fiber" is a sticker or some form of application...it is sheet metal screwed to the pipe. The plate for the fenderwell is SCREWED to the fenderwell...at least Mac utilizes factory holes for attachment. One of the hoses for the Tbody is decent but the other hose by the valve cover is PLUMBING hose from LOWES!!! This hose if covered in oil WILL deteriorate and this hose WILL harden and crack with prolonged exposure to heat! I have seen it first hand when this same hose was used on other cars(including my own in an emergency patch situation-by the time I got to change it out it had hardened and was cracking. The pipe is quite obviously PVC plumbing pipe molded in black and glued together.

Now, there is nothing wrong with building a cold air kit out of PVC...it is done on some custom applications...but to CHARGE $150 and hype it as "tunable" is B.S. in my opinion. If you are selling PVC, TELL people what it is instead of this crap :rolleyes:

Also, you cannot retain the screen in the MAF meter which I have often seen cause issues on a few Mod motor cars due to the sensitive nature of the newer MAF meters(not a problem on Fox cars).

SO...just my input and some FYI about the "hype" behind the Plumbing dept. "tunable" cold air kit here. I've installed it and think it's basically crap for what you spend...you could build your own at Lowes or Home Depot and get the same results. ;)

Italian LX
02-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Looks like a densecharger kit. :shrug:

svopaul
02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Looks like a densecharger kit. :shrug:

Same thing, yes.

TheJeanyus
02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
John Demolet was the founder of Densecharger.

I have a Densecharger kit on my car, and so does Travis. I bought mine used for $77 shipped. Seems like a good deal for 25 rwhp to me. :D

Sendero
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Wicked's been here. :rofl:

:jk: :jester:

svopaul
02-01-2005, 04:08 PM
John Demolet was the founder of Densecharger.

I have a Densecharger kit on my car, and so does Travis. I bought mine used for $77 shipped. Seems like a good deal for 25 rwhp to me. :D

You did fine in my opinion.....buying it used for that would be fine. Something is to be said for a prepackaged product and he deserves something for putting it together but with all the hype on his website and what you get in the box I would be insulted/very disappointed when I opened the box....after all, it's roughly $20 worth of parts including the green filter...less if you buy bulk.

This is the first time I have seen one and I was just disappointed when I saw the price for what was received.

Which reminds me, Joseph...we need your Tbird over here so we can make the Cold air kit for that....Maybe We can make the SVPU "CHICKENCHARGER" for Thunderchickens :D

Wicked
02-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Wicked's been here. :rofl:

:jk: :jester:

Hey that's funny! NOT! Biatch! :slap:

Geez Paul, from your reaction to the documentation, you'd think this was the first aftermarket part you ever seen. :jester:

All I know is the Densecharge is bigger and generally has as good or better gains than most of the others on the market. Yeah its PVC but you couldn't make it from Lowes/Home Depot stuff....Trust me I've tried. :jester:

svopaul
02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey that's funny! NOT! Biatch! :slap:

Geez Paul, from your reaction to the documentation, you'd think this was the first aftermarket part you ever seen. :jester:

All I know is the Densecharge is bigger and generally has as good or better gains than most of the others on the market. Yeah its PVC but you couldn't make it from Lowes/Home Depot stuff....Trust me I've tried. :jester:

No, I've installed a ton of aftermarket parts.....but quality ones ;). I am picky about what I recommend based on what "I" would personally be happy with and if it doesn't perform I won't recommend it. From an engineering point of view with this product(since I do manufacture parts too) I see A LOT that can be changed for the better on this product. PVC is fine but the hype is misleading on the product and there is a lot that can/should be changed like the quality of the hardware, way the plate attaches and get rid of the cheesy looking Faux Carbon Fiber stuff. It can be made to look much better...I know I don't want to open my hood and it be obvious my parts came from Lowes...even if they did.

Plus, considering the fact that you can buy a nicer looking product for the same money makes this one look worse too.

TheJeanyus
02-01-2005, 05:29 PM
You did fine in my opinion.....buying it used for that would be fine. Something is to be said for a prepackaged product and he deserves something for putting it together but with all the hype on his website and what you get in the box I would be insulted/very disappointed when I opened the box....after all, it's roughly $20 worth of parts including the green filter...less if you buy bulk.

This is the first time I have seen one and I was just disappointed when I saw the price for what was received.

Which reminds me, Joseph...we need your Tbird over here so we can make the Cold air kit for that....Maybe We can make the SVPU "CHICKENCHARGER" for Thunderchickens :D
Cool. :metal: I'll bring it by Thursday morning.

FWIW, my Densecharger came with a K&N, not that green filter. Also, I'm wondering what makes it a "tunable" cold air intake. I mean, how do you "tune" an air intake?

banditmwp
02-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Cool. :metal: I'll bring it by Thursday morning.

FWIW, my Densecharger came with a K&N, not that green filter. Also, I'm wondering what makes it a "tunable" cold air intake. I mean, how do you "tune" an air intake?

It probably has a spot to add on little electric heating elements...'cause we all know hot air ignites faster than cold air, thus making more horsepower. :jester:

TheJeanyus
02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
It probably has a spot to add on little electric heating elements...'cause we all know hot air ignites faster than cold air, thus making more horsepower. :jester:
:hmm:

:slap: :rofl: With that kind of logic, I guess I don't have to worry about your 'vert outrunning the Blueberry any time soon. :poke:

96GTS
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
It's "tunable" b/c the part that sticks down in the fender can be rotated, placing the filter higher/lower. Probably just marketing bullshit, but thats what I remember reading when I was looking at them for my 4V swap. I went w/ the WMS w/ ceramic coating...just cuz I wanted a silver tube to go w/ my new silver 4V :metal:

svopaul
02-05-2005, 01:01 PM
As an update, I did an oil change on the same car today and found that this "wonderfully engineered" kit has another problem. The tube that connects on the other side of the inner fender had fallen off...why? because the screws he gives you in the kit BARELY stick into the predrilled holes in the PVC pipe and don't hold it...so it fell apart. I fixed it with 2 longer screws...no more problem. SO, if anyone decided to use this kit for a GT make sure you ditch the screws he gives you and get longer screws so you don't have the same problem ;)

slvrbullit
02-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Good write up Paul and you are right on the $20 worth of parts from HD or Lowes. I used to run a homemade CAI out of Black PVC.

CrazyInBlack
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
"that thing is tight yo! now u can have no probs kicking v-techs asses"

can someone add a midi file of "cant touch this"?