PDA

View Full Version : Opinions ....

Crzypny
10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Someone ..... :rolleyes: ..... has been trying to convince me that with the current mods that my engine can't handle the 150 shot without any work on the bottom end. Does he have a point here or is he just being his usual assidness?

1sicklx
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
With the Hyper-pathetic pistons, a 100-125 shot would be a little safer, but with a nice fat tune you could probably hit the 150 for a while. tick, tick ,tick ... you get the idea. :P

Just my .02

joker
10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Someone ..... :rolleyes: ..... has been trying to convince me that with the current mods that my engine can't handle the 150 shot without any work on the bottom end. Does he have a point here or is he just being his usual assidness?BS It is all in the tune. Since you have the trick flow intake, I would recomend getting the spray bar that mounts in between your upper and lower intake to eliminate the risk of fuel puddling in the upper intake. Do that, and run it a bit on the fat side and you will be just as safe as you would on a 125 shot.

coupe
10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
...run it a bit on the fat side and you will be just as safe as you would on a 125 shot.

:stupid::yup:

Sendero
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Has the "block splitting" Horsepower/Torque figure ever been determined?

slvrbullit
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
With a wet kit she would not have to worry about adding extra fuel thru the tune, the nitrous system adds more than enough with their jetting charts that come with the kits.

My stock pistons were still in good shape with no signs of cracking in the ring lands or anywhere else for that matter. On that motor I had burnt 3 valves from the dry kit going lean and it also detonated a few times on the high end.

My suggestion is get a good fuel pump, get a good ignition and drop two heat ranges in plugs with them gapped at .030" to .035" to avoid spark blow out.

slvrbullit
10-11-2006, 11:48 AM

We may see on track day if I make it. Bringing the 200 pills and the 250 pills.

Crzypny
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM

:rofl:

Not yet. I haven't taken it back to the dyno since the mods. I'm not even going to try and run the nitrous until I get a better fuel pump and regulator. It was running waaayy to lean with the nitrous. I'm really anxious though to see the gains. With the juice and nothing but a "B" cam and cold air intake it ran 312hp and 514 ft lbs torque.

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
With the Hyper-pathetic pistons, a 100-125 shot would be a little safer, but with a nice fat tune you could probably hit the 150 for a while. tick, tick ,tick ... you get the idea. :P
Lee ran nitrous for years on his Cobra with hyper pistons. He worked his way up to a 150 shot and ran those pills for a while with no problems. I think his best time was an 11.55 in a full-weight hatchback.

One of the pistons finally let go after he removed the nitrous and force 14psi with the D-1 blower.

uvbnhad
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
With the juice and nothing but a "B" cam and cold air intake it ran 312hp and 514 ft lbs torque.That wasn't a full run. It was an early abort because of lean conditions.

I still don't think it's a good idea to spray your dd. I'm not the best example in the world of that but, on the other hand, my engine doesn't have close to 200k miles on it either.

coupe
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
...and 514 ft lbs torque.

http://www.discovery-experimental.com/no_justice/pages/shocked.JPG
holy smokes!

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Since you have the trick flow intake, I would recomend getting the spray bar that mounts in between your upper and lower intake. . .
That would be a great option, but not necessary. The cheapest I have found the plates is $388 (shipped), so it's definitely not a cheap upgrade.

If you can find a used one, jump on it! For the past couple of years, I have been trying to find a used plate with no luck.

Crzypny
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
That would be a great option, but not necessary. The cheapest I have found the plates is $388 (shipped), so it's definitely not a cheap upgrade.

If you can find a used one, jump on it! For the past couple of years, I have been trying to find a used plate with no luck.

I have checked with Sumitt Racing before and they carry a Trick Flow spray bar plate for $255.

joker
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM

If you can find a used one, jump on it! For the past couple of years, I have been trying to find a used plate with no luck.Oh I know it isnt necessary, I just recomend it if at all possible. Just to give an extra piece of mind, specially if you are gonna run it a little on the fat side.

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I still don't think it's a good idea to spray your dd. I'm not the best example in the world of that but, on the other hand, my engine doesn't have close to 200k miles on it either.
I somewhat agree and I always recommend having a back-up car anytime someone gets deep into the mod bug.

However, the 302's are pretty stout and can handle a lot of abuse even when they have high miles. Some people even argue that the "worn out" engines help keep catastrophic failures down by allowing excess pressure by the worn piston rings and, therefore, being more forgiving.

I didn't put the bottle on my coupe until 300,000 miles, but I don't really recommend this. I have a back-up car and I am in the process of building a new motor. If my curent power plant blows, I'm really not out much.

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh I know it isnt necessary, I just recomend it if at all possible. Just to give an extra piece of mind.
Yeah, I realized what you were saying. I just wanted to let her know what the price would be. When I decided I wanted a plate, I had no idea that the plate alone was that expensive. I didn't want her to get the same shock I did when going to order one.

joker
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I realized what you were saying. I just wanted to let her know what the price would be. When I decided I wanted a plate, I had no idea that the plate alone was that expensive. I didn't want her to get the same shock I did when going to order one.
That is pretty freaking outrageous for a hunk of aluminum :jester:
I thought I remembered them being cheaper than that last time I checked, but that may have been a plate for a 4.6. Hell, I dont remember old age must be setting in. :jester:

Crzypny
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
I didn't want her to get the same shock I did when going to order one.

Shock is right. When I first checked into it I was expecting at the most maybe $100 at the most since I had spent $70ish on the 1 inch heat spacer.

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
With the juice and nothing but a "B" cam and cold air intake it ran 312hp and 514 ft lbs torque.

For reference, here's the dyno graph from the ProSpeed dyno day:

http://www.deepstageperformance.com/dyno/stock94/dyno-stock94.jpg

Italian LX
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
That is pretty freaking outrageous for a hunk of aluminum :jester:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. It does come with some braided lines and fitting, but still does seem expensive.

Here is the cheapest place I could find it new:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8075640530&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The regular Trickflow intakes would need an NX104 and the R-series would require the NX105.

QWKSNKE
10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Get ALL of the bugs worked out of the car on a n/a tune and spray the 150.

BUT

Be ready to build the tranny. It will break sooner or later.

TheJeanyus
10-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Get ALL of the bugs worked out of the car on a n/a tune and spray the 150.

BUT

Be ready to build the tranny. It will break sooner or later.

:werd:

The tranny should go before the motor, provided it's tuned right and doesn't have any other issues that will only get magnified by the nitrous.

Crzypny
10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I already had a clutch replacement on my long list of things that will need to be taken care of. To many needs/wants, not enough money. :shake:

redhorse
10-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I'll have to give you credit for trying to improve the car. As much as you try you still won't be able to beat Marc or me down the track. HEHEHE

Crzypny
10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I'll have to give you credit for trying to improve the car. As much as you try you still won't be able to beat Marc or me down the track. HEHEHE

:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way ... thanks Lee and Joseph for reminding me to add the tranny to my list of "to do's". :slap:

QWKSNKE
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Oh and by the way ... thanks Lee and Joseph for reminding me to add the tranny to my list of "to do's". :slap:

yep. its been on my "to do" list for about 4 years now.

TheJeanyus
10-12-2006, 03:23 PM

:D

I recommend a T56. :jester:

1sicklx
10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I recommend a T56.

:eric: