PDA

View Full Version : Clutch???

04 Mach1
10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
After putting the vert together we have found that the clutch will not hold any longer. So what clutches are ya'll running. Looking for a stock pedal feel(supposed to be her everyday driver) but be able to hold up to some track launches with the spray. What about a good clutch disc and reuse the current preasure plate??

QWKSNKE
10-15-2006, 07:47 AM
. Looking for a stock pedal feel(supposed to be her everyday driver) but be able to hold up to some track launches with the spray. What about a good clutch disc and reuse the current preasure plate??

Can't have it both ways dude. If you don't spray it, use a centerforce DF. It has very nice pedal effort.

But if it is going to see juice, use at least a stage II spec. Wall and Chip have used the MMR 700 clutch setup and it is suppose to have nice pedal effort with good grip. Maybe they will repsond or you can pm them

97cobrasvt
10-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Well I use a Centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate on spray and have had no problems at all and leave on the bottle. Say 5000 to 6000 launches and have been doing that for about a year with no problems and the pedal fills like a stock pedal to me. I have had no problems out of mine yet its been a good clutch set up for me.

QWKSNKE
10-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Well I use a Centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate on spray and have had no problems at all and leave on the bottle. Say 5000 to 6000 launches and have been doing that for about a year with no problems and the pedal fills like a stock pedal to me. I have had no problems out of mine yet its been a good clutch set up for me.

Awesome. My CF only lasted 2k miles on my old blower combo. It couldn't handle the high torque on my car.

-But-

The pedal effort with that clutch combo is AWESOME. Feels like you are driving a Honda it is so light.

ChipR4cam
10-15-2006, 11:07 AM
The MMR clutch in the grey car was awesome. It was lighter than a King Cobra clutch. It had a nice smooth release and it never slipped.

Italian LX
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Can't have it both ways dude. If you don't spray it, use a centerforce DF.
When Marc talked to me about this, he said the car wouldn't see much nitrous. Only enough to see what the car would do with the juice; it would be mostly an N/A car.

Since this was the case, I highly recommended the Centerforce DF since I have been more than happy with mine. My coupe has seen at least 20 high-RPM claunches and at least 90 pounds of nitrous driving with no clutch problems whatsoever. :nice:

TheJeanyus
10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Coupe can get you a good deal on a SPEC clutch. That's what I'll be putting in the Cobra.

rtusnake
10-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Coupe can get you a good deal on a SPEC clutch. That's what I'll be putting in the Cobra.

:werd: I'm going with a stage 3+ in a few months as well. I had a stage 2 in my old car and I never had any problems out of it. The pedal feel was pretty good with it.

TheJeanyus
10-16-2006, 02:11 AM
I was planning on a 3+, but I've decided I'm probably not going to even come close to the limitations of a 3 within the life of my next clutch.

04 Mach1
10-16-2006, 06:32 AM
She has sat in a car with the spec stage 1 and the pedal was a little stiff. I'm sure a stage 3 would be completely out of the question. Beside I don't want my wife having bigger caf muscles than I.:jester: I beleive we are going to try a centerforce setup.

QWKSNKE
10-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Rob's stage 3+ sucks. Grip is very good but street drivability is non-existent. You pretty much have to launch the car when leaving a stop sign or red light

uvbnhad
10-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Spec Stage II in my 04. Feels maybe just a hair heavier than stock but not enough of a difference to even discuss.

Purple1995Pony
10-16-2006, 08:10 AM
my wife likes her spec stage 1 ... nice light feel to me

rtusnake
10-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Rob's stage 3+ sucks. Grip is very good but street drivability is non-existent. You pretty much have to launch the car when leaving a stop sign or red light

Read the regular stage 3 is the same way though.

coupe
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Insider tidbit: SPEC pressure plates for mustangs are the same from Stage 1 thru Stage 4. :yup: The only exceptions are the 3+ and the 5.

If "Joe's" stage 3 has a heavier pedal than "Sam's" stage 1 and they're in the same kind of car, then something else is different...

The biggest differences in pedal effort you will find are in the quality/condition of the fork, pivot, cable, and the geometry of them as well. Those components do make a difference.

joker
10-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Read the regular stage 3 is the same way though.
Mine wasnt. I had a stage 3 in my 93gt and it wasnt that way. For the first 1000 miles it was very stiff, and hard to "slip". After that I had no problem at all driving it daily.

However, if I ever have to put another clutch in a mustang, I will definitely be going with a centerforce df. Overall I was much happier with the quality of the centerforce df compared to the spec stage3.

86GT
10-17-2006, 12:36 AM
The centerforce is a good clutch. I had a stage II in mine when it was N/A and it was good for the stock setup, but once the H-C-I came along the clutch went out. If the clutch was a DF then I doubt that I would have had any issues.

I ended up with the Spec stage 3 and it is a night and day difference. The Spec is much tighter and it grabs likes nobodies bussiness. The problem is you can not feather the clutch because it will chatter like a freight train. I can feather the clutch if I rev the car a tad more. There is a definate point at which the clutch just graps and away you go.

I think you are making a good decision to go with the centerforce.